Author Topic: When did your Henry ?  (Read 19899 times)

Be-A-triss Bandit

Re: When did your Henry ?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 08:27:08 PM »
Thank you Coffinmaker.
If I'm not too bright sometimes!  I posted his site in STORM for 72 firing pins.  Real nice fellow to do business with.  We only talked pistols, didn't think about rifles at the time.
I'll have to give him a call.  I might be able to just send him my barrel.
Thanks again, you're a gentleman and mighty fine person to know.
BB

Offline stepnmud

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »
Be-a-Triss,

Check with Happy Trails at "the Smith Shop."  I think it runs about $170 to have Bill sleeve the chamber to .44 special.  the .44 Henry Flat.If on the other hand, you also shoot hand guns with .44 Russian, there are several methods to modify the Henry carrier block to handle the .44 Russian cartridge.  About the same overall length as
My next  project is a pair of Open Tops, chambered for .44 russian and a Henry shooting .44 Russian.  Some superb style points there.  this game can really be FUN!!!
Uberti may even have 2 - 3 .44 Special henry barrel assemblies left, but getting them to screw one of them onto a receiver would be a real groan.
Now lemmie see, a CCH iron frame with a .44 Russian chamber .....................
I just gotta talk to Santa ...........

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker, I've been thinking about buying a extra brass carrier from VTI and using a set screw to accomodate the 44 Russians that I currently shoot in a pair of Model P Cimmaron's. without rechambering my 44WCF Henry, the 44 Russians would want to blow out to fit the chamber and reckon I could just keep these Russians seperate from my pistola's till I could arrange for Happy Trails conversion?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »
Stepnmud,

Not recommended.  The .44 WCF is about the same basic size at the base as the .45 Colt.  Blow-by will be horrendous and your going to have a lot of split cases.  Split cases may well score the interior chamber walls.  The .44 Russian case may well not center on the breach block when the round chambers, causing the bullet to "rattle" thru the chamber.  Leading in the chamber from the "skidding" bullet would be a problem. 
Too many "downs" to trying undersize cases.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:29:26 PM »

Offline stepnmud

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 05:39:28 PM »
thanks Coffinmaker and will heed your advice.

Henry4440

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »
Just wondering,  When did you get your first Henry and what influenced your wanting one ?

Major2, i got the 'Henry-Fever' in 1975 after seeing a photo of the Henry No.6 from Abe.Lincoln.
I was 13 years old at that time.But i had to wait 25 years till i could own my first Henry.
And now i'm the owner of a Hege-Uberti Lincoln One of a Thousand 44-40.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
Howdy,

Am I the only one who is not sure what  a "fish" gun is? I am guessing its a Marlin!  I have had a couple original 38-40 Marlins (two 1889s, and one 1894), but always went back to my Henry.  In fact, my very first Henry I got in 1995, I traded a Marlin Century Ltd. 44-40 for!

I have to confess, however, that recently the Henry shares the top spot with my Taylors .56-50 Spencer carbine.

It's ironic that the first Henry I got I traded a Centruy LTD for it in 1995!  Now I sold my current Henry and bought a Century Ltd again!  I can only say that I favor the Spencer more than the Henry, and as I have a Spencer also, I was able to sell the Henry (with some pangs of guilt!)  Maybe some day when I am rich an famous, I will be able to own all three!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 07:53:33 PM »
Resurrecting this old thread ... I'm now carrying two Henry's to the range...
 A Military Brass Frame ( the 99 Christmas gift ) and my new Steel frame I picked up this summer.....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
Bought my Military style Henry in 1996 for $775. The best price I ever paid for a Yellowboy is a 66 Carbine I bought used in 1992 for $361.50.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 11:27:20 AM »

Sweet shooters these  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 11:42:12 AM »
Nice looking pair ..Remember never split a pair ! ~  :)
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »
i got the fever for a Henry in 1976, it was my 10th birthday and my parents signed me up for the Old West series from Times books.   The gunfighter was the first book and it had a picture of a iron framed Henry.  I decided it was the prettiest gun I had ever seen.   Then later, in college, Silverado came out and I decided the brass framed Henry was the prettiest gun I had ever seen.   A few more years pass and I see Lonesome Dove, my fever is well over a 100 now.   On my 11th wedding anniversary, I wander into an antique firearm shop in New Orleans, with gloved hands, I held an original henry, price tage $24,500.  Wife neede to be resuscitated.  Later, my former college roommate bought himself a Henry as a graduation gift for finishing his PhD.  Then I really got the fever.   A year later I was in Vegas with my wife.  On the flight, we talked of what we would do if we won lots.  I got her to agree that if we one enough to split and I could buy a Henry with my half I could.  She agreed thinking back to our anniversary and the $24,500.   The planets aligned and we came home with enough to cover the trip, the flight, meals, but back what we took and still have $1500 a piece mad money.   While she claims she was dupped, I now have my Henry and it is the prettiest gun I have ever seen.   I will post a pic with the sheath I just completed for it soon.

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »
Henry fever is tough ! I fondled my Brass framed Military model  for 5 years at my local gun shop before I finally bought it . The brass was starting to age from all my fondleing ..it`s a wonder the dealer would put up with me doing all that fondleing ..nice guy he did ..odd thing too he never raised the price on it as they went up in that 5 year period ...yellowed price tag read 799.00 they were 1,132.00 in my Taylors book when I finally reached for my wallet .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 04:29:51 AM »
My reenactment group at the time ordered 15(we got a group rate for buying so many at one time) of them in 1984 in the white....all were stamped Allen Arms made by Uberti...I kept it four about five years then sold it....a mistake and I regret selling it. I now have a "66" but would like another Henry.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Capt, Woodrow F. Call

• Vice President of SWS Norway.
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 05:08:55 AM »
Howdy.

I get the fever for Henry after i see the movie Lonesome Dove, i dream'd about it for many years. Then in 2003 in january, i cud not resist, i have to have one.
I get it for 1000$ that year ( brand new), today, the price is around 1200$, and i realy want one in iron frame, to add in my collection.
I can't tell how happy i am over this rifle, well some modifications is ok to make it work,  i have also a 66 mod, in 45 colt, but for me, it cant get better than Henry. :D   Special if you load it with Black Powder.................wow ;D

BR
Call.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »
I picked up this Allen Firearms Henry in the early 1980's.  It has a low number so I re-contoured the fram and buttplate to fit into the serial range of the early original guns.  In the late 80's, I had it engraved in a well known pattern, which was often used on original Henry's.  I antiqued and aged it after it was engraved and from 10 feet, it would pass for an original.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
Buck, very nice!  But to pass for and orginal, even at 10 feet, you would need to refinish that Italian Red stock ;)

I did mine last winter and it looks a lot better.  I plan to do my 66 this year.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »
Will,
I did refinish the stock nearly 25 years ago.  Some of the early, original Henry's with this engraving pattern, had rosewood stocks which are very red.  I put a rosewood finish on this stock, which made it look nearly identical to the early special order guns.   I have other photos of this gun in the Henry post regarding "Dust Covers". 

Adios,
Buck

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »
Will,
I did refinish the stock nearly 25 years ago.  Some of the early, original Henry's with this engraving pattern, had rosewood stocks which are very red.  I put a rosewood finish on this stock, which made it look nearly identical to the early special order guns.   I have other photos of this gun in the Henry post regarding "Dust Covers". 

Adios,
Buck

I apologize.  Sure looks like the Italian Red in the photo. ;)  I do admire the engraving job.  I had my 73 done but have hesitated on the Henry.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »
Will,
No apology necessary.  I think the stocks on these early Allen Firearms guns may have been different wood and certainly a different color than the Uberti's we see today.  They sure are fun to shoot and a great part of history.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »
I have a Henry, a '66 and a '73 and NONE of them have a stock that is even remotely "red".  All are early 1980 vintage guns and the stocks have not been refinished.  The two brass frame rifles have stocks that are dark oak colored while the '73 is walnut brown.  When did they start using red? 

BTW, I've seen some very pricy upscale British guns from the late 1800s and early 1900s with wonderfully atrractive reddish color stocks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com