Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

If you "understand" something, why not share with us why you "understand"?  The Curly Q failed because Moline people preferred the Swinging Bridge cafe.  Curly Q filled in a gap after the Corner Cafe closed and was quite successful while some Moline women were operating it.  At that time it was a good place to eat. 

I don't know but I suspect the reason it closed was because it couldn't pass state health regulations.  And now it would cost a fortune to bring the building up to code.  Not a good location, either.  The last time I was in there it needed a lot of cleaning and work.

Ross

Quote from: Wilma on July 01, 2011, 09:59:31 AM
If you "understand" something, why not share with us why you "understand"?  The Curly Q failed because Moline people preferred the Swinging Bridge cafe.  Curly Q filled in a gap after the Corner Cafe closed and was quite successful while some Moline women were operating it.  At that time it was a good place to eat. 

I don't know but I suspect the reason it closed was because it couldn't pass state health regulations.  And now it would cost a fortune to bring the building up to code.  Not a good location, either.  The last time I was in there it needed a lot of cleaning and work.
You are entitled to your opinion. But I heard many other opinions that were contrary to yours. Many people liked it as a diversion.
If it could not pass state health regulations how did the family from Sedan ever get it open in the first place?
The man had put a lot of work into the building. I only ate ther a few times but I found the place clean and the service just fine and the food was good as well.

Catwoman

Diversions only go so far...The vast majority of people vote with their feet and their wallets.  The Swinging Bridge's ability to attract and hold customers speaks for itself.

Roma Jean Turner

Don't know why it closed, but my experience as someone just traveling through was that there wasn't enough seating.  I stopped a couple of times but there was no place to sit, so left and went through town and ended up at the Swinging Bridge.

Ross

Quote from: Catwoman on July 01, 2011, 11:28:14 AM
Diversions only go so far...The vast majority of people vote with their feet and their wallets.  The Swinging Bridge's ability to attract and hold customers speaks for itself.
The fact that it is the only restraunt in Moline wouldn't play a major part would it.
I sure miss Stubb, I enjoyed going in just to visist with him.

Hefe de vaca

Quote from: Ross on July 01, 2011, 10:09:42 AM
But I heard many other opinions that were contrary to yours.
For someone who seems to be intelligent, why would you make such a statement to bolster your position? You surely know about hearsay and it's reputation in court.

Monopolies in Elk County? Toot's is and has been a standard here. Tell someone you're from Howard, they say, "Oh I've eaten at that hamburger place". Poplar has done very well, and the new Sweet and Spicy is also doing well. Partly because of the added people in town, I'm sure, but also because of the quality and prices.
    As Cat said ," people vote with their feet and wallets". Most businesses fail because of poor management, not lack of business.

What I know about Elk Konnected is that one of it's priorities is to help anyone wanting to start a business with planning and running a business. Many people have good ideas, they just don't know how to go about getting started.

Why do you think that is a bad thing?

Patriot

Quote from: Jefe de vaca on July 01, 2011, 11:59:26 AM
...one of it's priorities is to help anyone wanting to start a business with planning and running a business. Many people have good ideas, they just don't know how to go about getting started.

Correct me if I missed something. But I don't believe anyone said that particular priority was a bad thing.  How widely publicized is this particular 'priority'?  I don't remember seeing that in the number of articles written in the local paper about the group's activities.  Is there a local office with a business start-up counselor, CPA or lawyer available?  Do they provide assistance in obtaining business loans or grants?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Ross

Quote from: Jefe de vaca on July 01, 2011, 11:59:26 AM
     For someone who seems to be intelligent, why would you make such a statement to bolster your position? You surely know about hearsay and it's reputation in court.

Monopolies in Elk County? Toot's is and has been a standard here. Tell someone you're from Howard, they say, "Oh I've eaten at that hamburger place". Poplar has done very well, and the new Sweet and Spicy is also doing well. Partly because of the added people in town, I'm sure, but also because of the quality and prices.
    As Cat said ," people vote with their feet and wallets". Most businesses fail because of poor management, not lack of business.

What I know about Elk Konnected is that one of it's priorities is to help anyone wanting to start a business with planning and running a business. Many people ha me. ve good ideas, they just don't know how to go about getting started.
Jefe,
I didn't know Elk Konnected was in the business making business. News to me. Who are those people?
Do they make small business loans as well? How does that work?

I didn't say anything about Monopolies in Elk County but you did.
I simply remarked that Moline only has one restraunt. Pray tell how that equates to Monopolies in Elk County????

Who steers the steering committee?

Who are the admitted members who own, and run,
Elk Konnected.

Who is your Puppet Master?

What are your real goals?

How do you plan to meet your goals?

Hefe de vaca

Quote from: Patriot on July 01, 2011, 12:54:44 PM
  Is there a local office with a business start-up counselor, CPA or lawyer available?  Do they provide assistance in obtaining business loans or grants?

Talk to Jennifer Brummel. I believe she can help you obtain a counselor for starting a business as well as any financial assistance available to start a business. More help than you would get from the SBA.

Since I failed to quote you on your monopoly statement before you modified it , I guess I was wrong . Why do you have such a problem contacting the people in Elk Konnected? I don't.

Hefe de vaca

Ross. You need to get out more. Talk to people in person. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk