Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 21 – 23:20

Highlights:

Evil reigns of Manasseh and Amon; Josiah's good reign; Book of the Law discovered; idolatry destroyed.
And Hilkiah the high priest said . . . I have found the Book of the Law in the House of the Lord (II Kin. 22:8).

When Josiah heard the words of the Book of the Law that he rent his clothes (displaying grief over the nation's sins) (22:11). He then destroyed the altars of Baal, and he burnt the bones of the [false] priests upon their altars (II Chr. 34:5). By doing this, he fulfilled the prophecy foretold 300 years earlier (I Kin. 13:2).

Josiah was a godly king. And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the Lord with all his heart . . . neither after him arose there any like him (II Kin. 23:25). Josiah became king at a very young age, but even from his youth he was dedicated to God. He did not follow in the steps of his father and grandfather, but decided to trust in the Word of God. Surely, this young man had access to a history of how those before him had ruled. However, he chose to follow the Word of God over how they lived. He applied the example of God's Word to his life instead of that of man. In doing so, this young man changed a nation.

Prayerfully consider the key to Josiah's greatness, as revealed through the prophetess Huldah: As touching the words thou hast heard; Because thine heart was tender . . . when thou heardest what I spake against this place . . . I also have heard thee, saith the Lord (22:18-19).

Every Christian needs the Word of God to instruct and keep alive his spiritual and personal relationship with God. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works (II Tim. 3:16-17). All Scripture includes every verse from Gen. 1:1 to Rev. 22:21. To separate ourselves from it, even for a short time, removes spiritual nurturing from our soul. The Word of God is our direct link to the throne of God. His very words are written to us to direct our paths daily (Luke 11:28). If you traveled every day to different places, would you ever not consult your road map? The Bible is truly our road map to life and should be read every day so as to help us stay on the narrow . . . way, which leadeth unto life (Matt. 7:14).

Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you (John 15:3).

Thought for Today:

The Word of God is the Christian's most precious possession.
Christ Portrayed:

By the prophets (II Kin. 21:10). God, who . . . spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2).
Word Studies:

21:6 observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits, practiced witchcraft, fortune-telling, devil worship, black magic; 21:12 ears shall tingle, will be astonished with horror; 23:17 title, monument, grave marker.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Karen Hawkins • Country: Costa Rica (4 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and English • Religious freedom is increasing • 90% Roman Catholic; 6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you mercy and compassion for others (Jude 1:21-22).
Optional Reading: Romans 12

Memory Verse for the Week: II Corinthians 5:21
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Kings 23:21 – 25

Highlights:

Passover restored; death of Josiah; Jehoahaz imprisoned; Jehoiakim captured by Nebuchadnezzar; Zedekiah's reign; fall of Jerusalem; captivity of Judah.
And the king of Babylon smote them . . . So Judah was carried away out of their land (II Kin. 25:21).

Nebuchadnezzar, the great king of Babylon, defeated the Egyptians, captured Syria and Palestine, and then attacked Jerusalem.

Zedekiah, the last king of Judah, tried to escape when Nebuchadnezzar besieged Jerusalem, but he was captured and forced to witness the slaughter of his sons. Then they put out his eyes and carried him in chains to Babylon. This agonizing ordeal was the fulfillment of two prophecies: (1) Jeremiah had foretold that Zedekiah, king of Judah, would be led to Babylon (Jer. 32:5; 34:3); and (2) Ezekiel had said: Yet shall he not see it (Ezek. 12:13).

Jerusalem was invincible as long as the nation acknowledged and worshiped Jehovah, but that great city became powerless when they forsook the Word of God. In times past, Jerusalem had been delivered out of the hands of the wicked because they first turned to God and His Word. But it did not happen this time. We read: Zedekiah . . . did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord, according to all that Jehoiakim had done. For through the anger of the Lord it came to pass in Jerusalem and Judah, until He had cast them out from His presence (II Kin. 24:18-20). So they took the king, and brought him up to the king of Babylon to Riblah; and they gave judgment upon him (25:6-7). We must purpose to consult and follow the Word of God every day because every day brings new challenges to life (Rom. 2:13).

Today, similar events are being reenacted before our eyes. The "Zedekiahs" and false prophets are leading our nation further into sin and farther away from God. But the "Jeremiahs" of our day are telling the world that the Word of God should have absolute authority over our lives.In these times, there are so many voices to be heard in this world. We must be sure to hear the voice of God. We become closer to God through reading His Word and prayer. It then becomes easier to clearly hear and discern His voice (Acts 22:14). As this happens, be like "Jeremiah"; to direct others to the Word of God as you follow it yourself.

And that from a child (from childhood) thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus (II Tim. 3:15).

Thought for Today:

Be open to the quiet moving of the Spirit of God as you read His Word.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Passover (II Kin. 23:21-23), which, as a type, foreshadowed Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and Passover Lamb, who delivers us from spiritual death through His sacrificial death. I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death (Rev. 1:18).
Word Studies:

25:12 husbandmen, farmers; 25:16 without weight, beyond measure; 25:27 lift up the head, release from prison.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Daniel Dalton • Government Officials: Rep. Dean Heller (NV) and Rep. Mike Kelly (PA) • Country: Cote d'Ivoire (16 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and over 60 native dialects • Religious freedom • 40% animist; 25% Muslim; 10% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in such a manner that others would be encouraged to praise and glorify God also (Jude 1:24-25).
Optional Reading: Romans 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 1 – 2

Highlights:

Descendants of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Esau, Israel (Jacob); genealogies of twelve sons of Israel.
Adam, Sheth, Enosh. . . . Judah. . . . David (I Chr. 1:1; 2:1,15). Tracing the life of David reveals a legacy of worshipers who committed themselves to be God's followers. Genealogies are generally considered monotonous and of little significance, but they record the exact plan and choice of God in selecting a chosen nation. It is often said God chooses whom He chooses. The majority of the time His choice would not be the world's choice. That is often reflected in these genealogies. This is never more clear than in that of the genealogy of Jesus, Himself (Matt. 1:2).

Going back to the twelve tribes or the twelve sons of Jacob, many would think that surely Jesus' ancestry would come through the chosen son, Joseph. However, as it is well known, Judah is the tribe Jesus was born into. Without a man's name being recorded in the genealogies he had no identity as an Israelite in covenant with God through His chosen nation.

Adam's sin in the Garden of Eden brought about mankind's spiritual death. For if by one man's offence death reigned (Rom. 5:17).

Jehovah is now drawing to Himself a second generation, a royal priesthood (I Pet. 2:9), united not by a genealogy that dates back to Adam, but by a spiritual birth into the family of God through Christ, the second Adam. The Scripture speaks clearly of our inheritance of sin from Adam. However, it also speaks clearly to the passing away of that inheritance and its replacement with a new one (Rom. 5:12-15). The true Christian has received a new nature — the nature of God.

Jesus said: Ye must be born again (John 3:7). Just think how very, very important this statement is! We are not just "sinners saved by grace," but we are new creations: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17). The new birth we speak of has removed us from our bondage to sin and replaced us in God's family. When we are born again, we truly are new persons with all the rewards that come with that. We have a Father in heaven. We have a whole new group of brothers and sisters in Christ. Last but certainly not least, our names are recorded in a very special will called the Lamb's Book of Life, thus giving us a home in heaven (Rev. 21:27). To be excluded from that book will guarantee life's ultimate punishment.

And whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 20:15).

Thought for Today:

God has chosen you to praise Him.
Christ Portrayed:

By the first Adam (I Chr. 1:1). Christ is the last Adam. We have eternal life because the last Adam was made a quickening (life-giving) Spirit (I Cor. 15:45,47).
Word Studies:

1:6 sons of, descendants of; 1:10 begat, became the father of; 2:21 threescore, sixty.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Pam Murton • Country: Croatia (5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Religious freedom • 73% Roman Catholic; 15% Serbian Orthodox; 5% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Keep the Word of God and pray to Him who has given you an open door into His presence (Rev. 3:8).
Optional Reading: Romans 14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 3 – 5

Highlights:

Descendants of David, Solomon, Judah, Simeon, Reuben, Gad; history of two-and-a-half tribes.
And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren . . . And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that Thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that Thine hand might be with me, and that Thou wouldest keep me from evil . . . And God granted him that which he requested (I Chr. 4:9-10).

We know very little about Jabez except that he prayed for something besides worldly fame. He was more honourable than his brethren . . . And God granted him that which he requested. That statement tells a world about the character of this man. Some would argue that we know all we need to know to call him a hero of the faith.

Jabez found the joy that comes as one gives himself to God for His pleasure alone, seeking to be led in the path according to the choice of God. Accomplishments that bring eternal results are those that God initiates. Therefore, when we are faithfully serving Christ, we shall neither murmur about anything nor be proud of our accomplishments. For in the service of Christ, we realize all things are in His control. There is nothing that happens that is outside His reach when our lives are dedicated to Him.

Furthermore, we should never be jealous of the advantages which other people have. The Psalmist wrote: For I was envious . . . when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. . . . They are not in trouble as other men . . . they have more than heart could wish (Ps. 73:1-12). Then he writes: Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. . . . Thou castedst them down into destruction. . . . Thou shalt . . . receive me to glory (73:17-24).

If our supreme desire is to gain His blessing, there is no need to fear that we are being cheated. Our main goal in life should be to do the best we can each day with what we have (Phil 4:11). The most important thing is what we are in the eyes of God. Anything God wants us to do, He will help us do if we are willing to yield to His will for our lives.

Our possibilities in life are limitless if we will turn our face toward heaven and not look away. We need to set our eyes on the real prize in life — the prize of being in the center of God's will — the prize of walking in the high calling of the true and living God (Phil. 3:14). The joy of knowing that the God of heaven is looking at our lives and is pleased with what He is seeing. Living life knowing the rewards of heaven are awaiting is the grandest prize of all.

God . . . is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Heb. 11:6).

Thought for Today:

Those who give their all receive the Lord's best.
Christ Revealed:

Through the genealogy of David (I Chr. 3:1-24). Christ the Son of God was also called the Son of David: The Book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the Son of David (Matt. 1:1; Luke 3:23-38; Rom. 1:3).
Word Studies:

3:9 concubines, a woman legitimately married to a man but inferior to the regular wife and excluded with her children from the heritage (Gen. 25:6). Concubines could be taken from among Hebrews, slaves, or war captives; 4:10 coast, beachfront, border of territory, boundary; 4:40 fat, rich, good; 5:11 over against, across from.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Gov. Dave Heineman (NE), Rep. Jared Polis (CO) and Rep. Frank A. LoBiondo (NJ) • Country: Cuba (11.2 million) on the northern rim of the Caribbean • Major language: Spanish • Strict government surveillance of all true Christian activities • 40% Catholic; 10% Protestant; 2-10% Santeria; 1% Other; 40% None • Prayer Suggestion: Praise the Lord for His redeeming love (Rev. 5:9).
Optional Reading: Romans 15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 6 – 7

Highlights:

Descendants of Levi; Temple singers and keepers appointed; descendants of Aaron; cities of Levites; genealogies continued.
And the number throughout the genealogy . . . was twenty and six thousand men (I Chr. 7:40).

The name of every individual, as well as the family and tribe to which they belonged, was carefully registered. There is a striking difference in the character of the men who are mentioned in these chapters. Some were devoted to their God-given responsibilities, while others profaned their holy calling.

Aaron was a devoted priest, but his sons were hypocrites. Samuel was a godly judge, but his sons were evil. For years, Abiathar was a high priest, but he later became a traitor to King David (I Kin. 1:7; 2:25-35). What a strange mixture of devout saints and sinful, undisciplined men! What a contrast between heaven-born beginnings and forfeited opportunities. This is a perfect example of why we can never let our guard down against the enemy. We know from the truth of God's Word that one minute we can be walking on water, but when we take our eyes off Jesus, suddenly we can be drowning (Matt. 14:28-30). This is why it is so important to become a student of the Word of God and read it every single day (II Tim. 2:15).

The long, uninteresting list of names shows us that God does not look on mankind as a crowd of human beings which populate our world. In fact, He is so concerned over us that even the hairs on our head were numbered by Him (Matt. 10:30). God looks at us as the individuals that we are. He also rewards us and judges us each on our own individual strengths and shortcomings. He knows each of us by name, and whether our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life (Rev. 21:27) or if we will face the great white throne judgment.

Our relationship with Jesus Christ is a personal one. No person has ever been given heaven's rewards based on the actions of his family and friends. Likewise, no one is in hell today unless they, themselves, made the choice to reject the free gift of eternal life that Jesus offers. Our outcome in eternity depends upon the decision we make to either choose Christ or something other than Christ. The issue is that outside of Jesus all hope for eternal life is lost. Jesus said: I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6).

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the Book of Life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works (Rev. 20:12).

Thought for Today:

Can you pray, "Lord, I want nothing outside of Your will"?
Christ Revealed:

By the cities of . . . refuge (I Chr. 6:57, also 67,71-72,78,80). For a person to have protection from the avenger of blood, he had to flee to a city of refuge. God provided His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ to be our Refuge from His judgment against our sin. (Compare John 3:14-18; 10:24-30; Gal. 2:16; 3:1-14; Heb. 10:1-18; I John 2:2; Rev. 1:5.) When, by faith, in obedience to His Word, we come to Christ, He becomes our Refuge (Heb. 6:18-20).
Word Studies:

6:32 waited on, performed service in; 6:66 residue, balance; 6:74 suburbs, pasturelands; 7:23 it went evil with, tragedy had happened to his family; 7:24 nether, lower.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Henry Rogers • Government Officials: Gov. John Richard Kasich (OH) and Rep. Chris P. Gibson (NY) • Country: Cyprus (754,000) in the Middle East • Major languages: Greek and Turkish • No open evangelism or conversions to Christ • 75% Greek Orthodox; 19% Muslim; 1% Protestant; 1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up your prayers to the Lord as incense before God (Rev. 8:3-4).
Optional Reading: Romans 16

Memory Verse for the Week: II Corinthians 8:9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 8 – 10
Highlights:

Descendants of Benjamin; genealogies of Israel and Judah; priests and Levites in Jerusalem; their duties; genealogy of Saul; death of Saul and his sons.
So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the Lord, even against the Word of the Lord, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to inquire of it (I Chr. 10:13).

God had commanded Saul to utterly destroy all (I Sam. 15:3) of the Amalekites and their possessions, but they spared King Agag and took home the choicest animals. His partial "obedience" was self-deceiving, for he proudly announced to Samuel: Blessed be thou of the Lord: I have performed the Commandment of the Lord (15:13). His obedience was only as complete as it pleased himself and the people.

The night before this final battle with the Philistines on Mt. Gilboa, Saul hastily prayed, but he was frustrated when God did not answer. He rushed through the night to the village of Endor to seek counsel from a spiritualist medium concerning the outcome of the battle. It is important to note here the need in our lives to wait on God. His answer will come in His time. Too often, just like Saul, we turn to ungodly resources for our answers. This is not God's will (Ps. 1:1). This exposed Saul's failure to enforce God's Word and his disloyalty as a representative of God: There shall not be found among you any one . . . that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, Or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord (Deut. 18:10-12).

Saul is not the only person who has missed the Lord's best for their lives and created serious problems by patronizing palm readers, fortune-tellers, spiritualists, and other deceptive, evil advisors rather than turning to God. Many have fallen into this trap that is laid out by our enemy. Satan is crafty and cunning. He lays in wait and attacks us as his prey. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8-10). Especially in these latter days, it will become more important to be aware of that which is around us. These evils on the earth will intensify (I Tim. 4:1).

The best weapon in our arsenal to protect us from falling into the devil's trap is the Word of God. It is in His Word that we find warnings about these things (Gal. 5:19-21).

These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you (I John 2:26).

Thought for Today:

Faith comes to those who read the Word of God.
Christ Revealed:

By Jerusalem, which means "foundation of peace" (I Chr. 9:3). Christ is the only Foundation of Peace upon which man can stand before God. Jesus said: My peace I give unto you (John 14:27; II Cor. 5:18; Eph. 2:14).
Word Studies:

8:31 Zacher, Zechariah (not the prophet); 9:21 porter, gatekeeper of the entrance way; 9:22 set office, trustworthy position; 9:23 by wards, as guards; 9:28 bring them in and out by tale,  count them when they bring them in and take them out; 10:2 followed hard after, closely pursued and overtook; 10:3 went sore, was fierce; 10:4 uncircumcised, those without a covenant relationship with God.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Beverly Skinner • Staff: Rita Guerra • Government Officials: Rep. Jackie Speier (CA), Rep. Erik Paulsen (MN), and Rep. Jim P. Moran, Jr. (VA) • Country: Czech Republic (10 million) in central Europe • Major languages: Czech and Slovak • Religious freedom • 63% Catholic; 7% Protestant; 4% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Believe that what God promises, He will bring to pass (Gen. 15:1-6 & 21:1-3).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 11 – 13
Highlights:

David made king over all Israel; his reign in Jerusalem; mighty men of David; Ark of God taken to the house of Obed-edom.
So David waxed greater and greater: for the Lord of hosts was with him (I Chr. 11:9).

After Saul's death, David appealed to the northern tribes to unite the nation, but they ignored him (II Sam. 2:7). For seven years he reigned only over Judah. David was patient as he waited on God to take action. He believed that God's will would be fulfilled.

While Ish-bosheth reigned, the northern tribes were under Philistine control. It was not until after Ish-bosheth's death that the northern tribes acknowledged David as their king. So all the elders of Israel came to . . . King David . . . and they anointed David king over Israel (5:3).

Earlier in life, as David face Goliath, he boldy shouted: The battle is the Lord's, and He will give you into our hands (I Sam. 17:47). Although anointed king of Israel as a young lad (16:1-13), David waited for over 20 years on the Lord's timing for him to become king. He had opportunities to and had been encouraged seize control and kill Saul. But, he stayed true to the Lord's principles instead. The Lord forbid that I should . . . stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord (24:1-13; 26:10-12). David placed his trust in the proper place and was rewarded. God always rewards those who trust in Him (Heb. 11:6). It is no mystery that God desires us to read and follow His Word. When we do, good things happen.

When you are faced with trials, recognize the futility of becoming impatient. Trust in God, whose purpose is that you become more like Him. God promised Abraham that He would make him a father of many nations (Gen. 17:5), yet years went by and Sarah was barren. Their son Isaac was born when Abraham was an hundred years old (21:5). Patience is developed through years of testings and is a wonderful godly quality to possess (I Tim. 6:11; Titus 2:2).

We all are served so much better in life by learning to wait upon God. However, life in these times seems to be in high speed mode. Many of us want everything to be our way and right away. Where does that leave God's way? We need to learn to wait upon the Lord for our answers. It is a great truth in life to know that God gives His best to those that leave the choosing up to Him.

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. . . . that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing (James 1:2-4).

Thought for Today:

Once we accept the authority of God over our own lives as revealed by His Word, we will never be happy going our own way.
Christ Portrayed:

By David, the anointed king (I Chr. 11:3). Christ is the Anointed One who will soon reign forever as KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:16).
Word Studies:

11:16 hold, stronghold; 12:1 close, restricted in his movements; in hiding; 12:17 knit, joined, united; 12:19 fell . . . to David, shifted allegiance to David.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Bible Pathway Media Producer Rick Hash • Government Official: Sec. Kathleen Sebelius (US Dept. of Health & Human Services) • Country: Denmark (5 million) in northern Europe • Major languages: Danish and Faroese • Religious freedom • 92% Protestant; 1% Muslim; .5% Roman Catholic; .5% cults; .1% Jewish • Prayer Suggestion: Have faith that God always keeps His promises (Gen. 17:16 & 21:2-3).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 14 – 16
Highlights:

King Hiram's kindness to David; David's victories over Philistines; Ark brought to Jerusalem; David's sacrifices and Psalm of Thanksgiving.
And the fame of David went out into all the lands; and the Lord brought the fear of him upon all nations (I Chr. 14:17).

After David conquered the formidable Jebusites, who had never been conquered, even in the days of Joshua, he established his capital in Jerusalem. David's kingdom was now fully established. The world now saw this former shepherd boy, as a king whose army and power were feared and respected.

The Philistines were fearful of David's growing power, so they spread themselves in the valley (14:9) near Bethlehem and prepared to attack Jerusalem. David immediately inquired of God (14:10). He would not take his men into battle until he knew the will of God. David continually sought God's will in his decision-making. There is a valuable lesson to be learned in following God in all we do whether it is work, play, family, or anything else we face in life. God gave a great victory, but the defeated Philistines renewed their forces with a second attack. But notice! Although the first battle was very successful, David did not assume to know the will of God concerning the second attack. He inquired again of God (14:14). This time God directed in an altogether different way, and David gained another great victory.

We should never presume to know what God is thinking or how He is going to move. Just as David knew, we must seek God through sincere, heartfelt prayer. This is how we touch God's throne to get the answers we need (Matt. 7:7).

The often-recorded phrase, David inquired of the Lord was the key to his greatness (I Sam. 23:2,4; 30:8; II Sam. 2:1; 5:19,23; 21:1; I Chr. 14:10,14).

Once we are awakened to the importance of knowing the Word of God and prayer, Satan will seek to disrupt our time with the Lord by such seemingly innocent things as an unexpected visitor, or by calling to remembrance something important we forgot to do. We must remember we are in a spiritual battle with our enemy, the devil. To be effective against the enemy, we must continually pray, seek the Lord, and search the Scriptures; and like David, make them a pattern of our every day lives (Eph. 6:12; II Cor. 10:4). The devil will do whatever he can to disrupt our communication with God. Through the Word and prayer we can keep this from happening (I Thess. 5:17).

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance (Eph. 6:18).

Thought for Today:

The united prayers of Christians will put the enemy to flight.
Christ Revealed:

Through David's fame and exaltation (I Chr. 14:17). God highly exalted Christ, our Redeemer, and gave Him a Name which is above every name (Phil. 2:9-11).
Word Studies:

14:13 spread themselves abroad, made a raid, invaded.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ben Wallace • Government Officials: Sen. Daniel R. Coats (IN) and Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (MI) • Country: Djibouti (447,000) in eastern Africa • Major languages: French and Arabic • Limited religious freedom • 91% Muslim; 7% Roman Catholic; .75% Eastern Orthodox; about 300 Protestants • Prayer Suggestion: Pray in faith that God will bless your family (Gen. 17:18-20).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 17 – 20
Highlights:

David forbidden to build the House of God; David extends his kingdom; war against the Philistines.
David said to Nathan the prophet, Lo, I dwell in an house of cedars but the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord remaineth under curtains. Then Nathan said unto David, do all that is in thine heart; for God is with thee (I Chr. 17:1-2).

David had established true worship by bringing the Ark to Jerusalem, but he felt ashamed of the contrast between his luxurious house made of cedars and the old tent Tabernacle of the Lord; therefore, he decided to build a Temple for worship. David's heart was to see a beautiful Temple built for worshiping the God he loved. How often today are our thoughts too wrapped up in building our own kingdoms instead of God's kingdom? God should be first in our lives (Matt:6:33). But it seems these days as life is busier and busier, God is pushed further down our priority list.

The prophet Nathan agreed. This was his personal opinion, but the Lord revealed His will, saying: Thou shalt not build Me a house (17:4). Upon hearing the will of God, David, in deep humility, expressed his nothingness in contrast to the wisdom of God, saying: Who am I . . . that Thou hast brought me hitherto? (17:16). And in adoration of the infinite greatness of the incomparable God, David acknowledged: O Lord, there is none like thee (17:20).

Even though David was king, he was humbled before God. He knew there was only one true God. David loved God so much that he hurt because his house was better than the House of God at that time. He greatly desired to change this. Our prayer should be to help us value our God over the world. David knew his life with God was more important than any worldly gain. May we come to realize the same thing (Mark 8:36).

Many times we claim to be doing God's will, but are simply doing our own will and calling it God's. We must understand that doing nice things or good things are not necessarily doing His will. Many times in life things might seem right, but it doesn't always mean it falls within God's perfect will. All those who please the Lord have learned that the choice of what is pleasing to God must always be left to Him.

Although our intentions may be good, they may not fall into God's plan. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts (Is. 55:9).

O, Lord, I know the way of a man is not in himself; it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps (Jer. 10:23).

Thought for Today:

What a privilege to trust Him for guidance!
Christ Portrayed:

By David, the shepherd-king (I Chr. 17:7; comp. Matt. 1:1-2; Rom. 1:3), symbolic of Christ as the Good Shepherd (John 10:11) and King of saints (all believers) (Rev. 15:3).
Word Studies:

17:7 sheepcote, pasturelands; 18:4 houghed, crippled by cutting leg tendons; 19:4 hard by,  close to; 19:6 odious, detestable, offensive.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Staff: Mary Kay Wagner • Government Officials: Rep. George Miller (CA) and Sen. Ben Nelson (NE) • Country: Dominica (65,000) in the British West Indies • Major languages: English and French patois • Religious freedom • 75% Roman Catholic; 12% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that nothing is too hard for the Lord (Gen. 18:14).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 21 – 23

Highlights:

King David, beloved of the Lord, is enticed by Satan and sins; as a result, 70,000 people die (I Chr. 21:14). What does the king do to stop the plague (21:26)? David continues gathering material for Solomon to build the Temple.
Now set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God; arise therefore, and build ye the sanctuary of the Lord God (I Chr. 22:19).

Through much afflication and trouble, David provided a vast supply of the material that Solomon would need to construct the Temple (chap. 22). David's love for God was great. Even though he was nearing the close of his life, he was still making preparations for the construction of the Temple. He was doing this fully knowing that he would not be the one to build the House of God, but his son, Solomon would.

But there was something of far greater consequence than the money and materials. David emphasized the urgency of the builders' having a certain quality of character. He appealed to the laborers to set their hearts on God and seek the Lord in building the Temple. Sometimes it seems there is very little concern about character these days. There is very little concern over keeping an upright testimony and guarding our hearts against the things in the world that entice us towards sin. Thank God, David was concerned with the kind of persons who would be working on this Temple, the House of God. Just like in those days, God calls us to set our hearts and minds on Him. And thou shalt love the Lord with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first Commandment (Mark 12:30).

David's words to Solomon should be on the heart of every Christian parent, that they build the House of the Lord thy God, as He hath said of thee (I Chr. 22:11). We, too, should be concerned that our children live to bring honor to God. David wanted his son, Solomon, to be God's man. Therefore, he gave him a huge challenge to build the House of the Lord. We should also challenge our own children to walk in His ways, recognize the call of God in their lives; and share their witness for His Kingdom. As parents, we need to teach our children the things that direct their faces toward God. We are instructed to: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it (Prov. 22:6; Eph. 6:4).

Throughout the Bible God used young people to impact His Kingdom in a positive way. We need to look no further than David, Samuel, and the young pastor, Timothy.

According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master-builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth theron. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon (I Cor. 3:10).

Thought for Today:

The youth of today are the nation of tomorrow.
Christ Revealed:

Through the altar David built to sacrifice unto the Lord so that Israel might be restored to a right relationship with God (I Chr. 21:18,26). Only through Christ can we be restored to a right relationship with God. We are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Rom. 3:24).
Word Studies:

21:13 a great strait, deep distress; 21:15 repented Him of the evil, felt compassion due to man's repentance and intercession; 22:3 without weight, beyond calculation; 23:1 old and full of days, reached old age; 23:6 courses, divisions or groups; 23:11 in one reckoning, counted together; 23:24 by their polls, individually, by census, head counts.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Sen. Tom Udall (NM) • Country: Dominican Republic (8 million) in the West Indies, occupying the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 96% Roman Catholic (many are spiritists); 2% Protestant; 1% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Sing praises to the Lord (Ex. 15:1-19).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk