Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 28 – 30
Highlights:

Ahaz's reign; Hezekiah's reign; Temple worship restored; Passover observed; confessions made to God.
Now it is in mine heart to make a covenant with the Lord God of Israel, that His fierce wrath may turn away from us (II Chr. 29:10).

In the first month of Hezekiah's reign, he began the greatest religious reforms in Judah's history and wrought (did) that which was good and right and truth before the Lord his God (31:20). Hezekiah restored worship in the Temple, removed idolatry, and proclaimed a national passover that exceeded all passover observances since the time of Solomon. He sent special letters to the Northern Kingdom of Israel, inviting them to keep this Passover. Hezekiah neither feared the reaction of King Hoshea of Israel nor the Assyrian kingdom that dominated them.

When we are faithfully serving God, there is no need to fear the world. Hezekiah was changing His world for God in a huge way. The efforts of this one man were turning a nation back to God. It was bringing a great revival not only in Judah but throughout the land. The Temple was filling with people who had not been there in years. People were turning away from the devil and back to God. It is no wonder that Hezekiah wanted to reach out to the unbelieving members of his family (Northern Kingdom of Israel). When God is on the move, the natural response is to want all those around to feel His wonderful presence.

Although many from the Northern Kingdom scoffed, some of them participated in that great Passover feast. This is the only record in 210 years of all the twelve tribes returning to Jerusalem to worship God. Many years had passed since those in Northern Israel had turned their backs from worshiping the true God of heaven. Sadly, this is what happens when the Law of God or the Word of God is forsaken. However, many hearts were stirred to return to that same Law or Word. By the bringing back of the Passover, it turned many hearts back to God. It brought to memory the history and happenings of old. The times when God had moved in such great supernatural ways were in their thoughts once again. For a time, God was the central focus for at least part of His people in the nation of Israel.

The importance we place on Christ — our Passover Lamb (I Cor. 5:7) — determines what we do with our time and effort. Christ makes our position clear: As My Father hath sent Me, even so send I you (John 20:21) — into homes, factories, office, and to all nations . . . Teaching them to observe all things (Matt. 28:19-20).

Thought for Today:

Consider telling someone today what great things the Lord has done for you.
Christ Portrayed:

By King Hezekiah who offered an intercessory prayer for every one That prepareth his heart to seek God (II Chr. 30:18-19). Jesus Christ our King, now seated at the right hand of God, intercedes in prayer for all who continue to seek Him (Rom. 8:34). Seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God (Col. 3:1).
Word Studies:

28:3 Hinnom (Gehenna — translated as "hell" in the New Testament); 28:10 keep under, make slaves; 28:15 shod them, gave them sandals; 28:25 several, single; 30:6 posts, runners, couriers; 30:22 comfortably, encouragingly; 30:23 took counsel, agreed.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tifany Edwards • Government Officials: Sen. Jerry Moran (KS) and Rep. Jeb Hensarling (TX) • Country: French Guiana (168,000) on the northern coast of South America • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 85% Christian; 9.5% non-Religious/Other; 2% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to bring our nation to repentance (I Kings 8:33-36).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 16

Memory Verse for the Week: I Timothy 1:17
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 31 – 33

Highlights:

Hezekiah destroys idols; firstfruits and tithes; Assyria invades Judah; Hezekiah's death; Manasseh's reign.
Howbeit in the business of the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, who sent unto him to inquire of the wonder that was done in the land, God left him, to try him, that He might know all that was in his heart (II Chr. 32:31).

This is an outstanding example of why the faithful are often tempted, which is to determine whether they have a deep, abiding faith or not. And that they may also feel the presence of God who does not allow them to be overtaken by temptations, but in their weaknesses delivers them. It is no secret that when His people are at their weakest then God gives His strength. If God is to work great feats in our lives, we must first humble ourselves and seek Him and His way (7:14). He must increase, but I must decrease. He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all (John 3:30-31).

Babylonian ambassadors supposedly came to congratulate Hezekiah on his recovery from illness. He was so flattered that his heart was lifted up (II Chr. 32:25), and he proudly showed them all his wealth. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall (Prov. 16:18).

Hezekiah could have told the heathen ambassadors how 185,000 Assyrian soldiers who threatened Jerusalem had been miraculously destroyed; how he had been miraculously healed when he expected to die; and how all his possessions came as a result of the protection, provision, and power of God. God lets us know that He tested him, that He might know all that was in his heart (32:21).

When we talk with unbelievers, do we talk about our achievements, or do we prayerfully look for an opportunity to tell them about our wonderful Lord? It should be the desire of our hearts any time we have the opportunity to share our faith that Jesus become the focal point. Too often, we waste valuable time sharing one thing or another that has no significance in the realm of eternity. If the Lord grants us the opportunity to talk to unbelievers, we should use the Word of God and personal experiences to share Jesus with those who need to be touched by God. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He hath anointed me to preach the Gospel to the poor; He hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised (Luke 4:18).

And now, Lord . . . grant unto Thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak Thy Word (Acts 4:29).

Thought for Today:

How worthless is our much work without prayer!
Christ Revealed:

By Hezekiah's offering of the king's portion (share) of his substance for the Burnt Offerings (II Chr. 31:3). Burnt Offerings were wholly consumed, symbolic of total surrender, and offered as a sweet savour to the Lord (Lev. 8:28; Num. 15:3). God offered His King's portion in Christ Jesus who, in total surrender on the cross, was wholly consumed, even unto death. Christ . . . hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour (Eph. 5:2).
Word Studies:

31:10 store, abundance; 31:14 oblations, free will offerings; 31:16 courses, assigned tasks; 31:18 set office, appointed office; 31:19 every several city, every city; 32:6 comfortably, encouragingly; 32:8 rested themselves, relied; 32:17 rail on, belittle; denounce; 32:18 affright, frighten; 33:11 fetters, chains.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Kevin Jennings • Government Official: Rep. Steve Israel (NY) • Country: Gabon (1 million) in west-central Africa • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 66% Roman Catholic; 30% Protestant; 3% animism and ancestor worship • Prayer Suggestion: Kneel in a humble spirit of reverence as you pray to the Lord (I Kings 8:54).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 34 – 36

Highlights:

Josiah's reign; Book of the Law found; Josiah killed in battle; reign and dethronement of Jehoahaz; reigns of Jehoiakim, Jehoiachin, and Zedekiah; decree of Cyrus to rebuild the Temple.
Necho king of Egypt . . . sent ambassadors to him (Josiah), saying . . . forbear thee from meddling with God, who is with me, that He destroy thee not. Nevertheless Josiah would not turn his face . . . And the archer shot at king Josiah . . . and he died (II Chr. 35:20-24).

The highest honor ever given to a king was given to Josiah. And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the Lord with all his heart (II Kin. 23:25).

During the reign of Josiah, Pharaoh-Nechoh of Egypt wanted to pass through Palestine with his armies to join the Assyrians in a war against Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon. The Egyptian king urged Josiah not to interfere saying: Forbear thee from meddling with God, who is with me, that He destroy thee not.

On this occasion there is no record that Josiah sought counsel from the Lord or asked the godly prophet Jeremiah for advice. Instead, he attempted to keep the Egyptian king from passing through his country and was fatally wounded. Just three months after his death, the kingdom of Judah lost its political independence, and all of his spiriual reformation vanished. Then the people . . . took Jehoahaz the son of Josiah and made him king . . . and he reigned three months in Jerusalem. And the king of Egypt put him down . . . condemned the land (II Chr. 36:1-3). It is so important to look to God and His Word in all our decision-making. Sometimes, it may appear we have it all figured out. That appearance often is a deception. It may look like we are making a good choice, but is it God's choice?

This is why we train ourselves to read the Word of God and pray every day. As we do, we can rely on the unfailing, unchanging Hand of God (Heb. 13:8). God wants us to trust Him to help us make all our decisions. He wants us to ask Him to be involved in every aspect of our lives (I Thess. 1:3).

Had someone failed to pray for the godly, thirty-nine-year-old king? Oh, how vital it is to pray for those in authority and for those who are effectively being used of God. Pause right now to pray for your pastor, for other men (and ministries) of God, and for our nation's leaders, that God will protect them and guide their every action (James 5:16).

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority (I Tim. 2:1-2).

Thought for Today:

Are you being faithful to the Lord by praying daily for those in authority?
Christ Revealed:

Through the messengers of God who were rejected by His people (II Chr. 36:15-16; compare Is. 53:3; Mark 9:12). Jesus came unto His own (his own people), and His own received Him not (John 1:11; also Matt. 21:42; Mark 8:31; 12:10; Luke 9:22; 17:25; 20:17).
Word Studies:

35:13 sod, boiled; 36:3 put him down, deposed him; condemned, taxed; demanded tribute; 36:10 brother, uncle; 36:15 rising up betimes, early every morning.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. Larry Bucshon (IN), and Del. Madeleine Bordallo (Guam) • Country: Gambia (1 million) in West Africa • Major languages: English and Mandinka • Religious freedom • 87% Muslim; 10% animism and ancestral spirit worship; 2% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Bless the Lord that His Word is absolutely trustworthy (I Kings 8:56).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 1 – 2

Highlights:

Cyrus' proclamation to rebuild the Temple; genealogy of those who left Babylon.
Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the Word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia (Ezra 1:1).

The Word of the Lord refers to the fulfillment of God's prophecy through the words of Jeremiah: For thus saith the Lord, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place (Jer. 29:10).

Only God could have revealed to His prophet that Judah would be held captive for seventy years (25:1-12)! It was this prophecy that caused Daniel to pray for deliverance of his people in the year of Babylon's fall (Dan. 9:2). Isaiah had prophesied about two hundred years earlier that they would return to their own land and rebuild Jerusalem (Is. 44:28).

There are so many so-called false prophets in the world today. However, they go by many different names: psychics, palm readers, and fortune-tellers are only a few of those. Some have even made millions of dollars taking their satanic message mainstream. They write books and appear on talk shows. Some have even had their own TV specials. None of their notoriety validates these people as prophets of the True God. God also warns us about them. The Word of the Lord cautions them: Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit . . . I am against you, saith the Lord God (Ezek. 13:1-9)They are found in the Old and New Testaments alike. It is even foretold of their falsehoods going out in the last days. Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world (I John 4:1).

The wisdom of God is the only reasonable explanation for the many prophecies which have been fulfilled in minute detail hundreds of years after they were foretold. God has a definite foreknowledge of all things that are going to transpire. Only the unlimited power from God's throne could look forward in time to warn mankind of what is about to transpire. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty (Rev. 1:8).

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost (II Pet. 1:21).

Thought for Today:

God never fails to fulfill His promises.
Christ Portrayed:

By Sheshbazzar, another name for Zerubbabel, the prince (governor) of Judah (Ezra 1:8). Christ is both The Prince of Peace (Is. 9:6) and the Lion of the tribe of Juda (Judah) (Rev. 5:5).
Word Studies:

1:6 strengthened their hands, gave them assistance; 2:43 Nethinims, Temple servants; 2:63 Tirshatha, Governor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Our Military Worldwide • International Broadcasts in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Government Officials: Rep. Gregg Harper (MS) and Rep. Tim H. Bishop (NY) • Country: Georgia (5.38 million) west and central Transcaucasia between Asia and Europe • Major languages: Georgian and Russian • Religious opposition to Christianity • 57% Georgian (and Russian) Orthodox; 21.2% Muslim; 5% Armenian Apostolic; .8% Catholic (Greek-Catholic); .5% Protestant (mainly Baptist); .5% Jewish; 15% Atheist/Agnostic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that people will come to a knowledge of the Lord God (I Kings 18:36-37).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 3

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 3 – 5
Highlights:

Restoration of Altar worship; rebuilding of the Temple; adversaries stop the work.
And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the Lord, because the foundation of the House of the Lord was laid. But many of the priests . . . who were ancient men, that had seen the first House . . . wept with a loud voice (Ezra 3:11-12).

When Zerubbabel and the returning Jews left the pleasures and prosperity of Persia for the hardships in Jerusalem, they could have assumed that the first thing to do was build their own homes; but instead, they builded the Altar of the God of Israel, to offer Burnt Offerings thereon, as it is written in the Law of Moses (3:2). To them the Burnt Offering sacrifices were not a mere religious ritual, for these Jews had sacrificed everything in Persia in order to restore fellowship with God in Jerusalem.

This was only the beginning of a slow, day-by-day, difficult task of laying the foundation of the Temple, which brought fierce opposition.

We might think that deciding to serve the Lord and doing His work will guarantee a life of ease and freedom from problems. To the contrary! Once Satan sees that we have set our hearts to please the Lord, he will use everything and everyone in his power to keep us from the task we have set out to do.

Satan's purpose is to divert the attention of God's children from His Word and prayer since these are two major weapons the Christian has in the spiritual warfare against his attacks. This is why it is so important to dedicate ourselves to these two things every day of our lives. The study of the Word of God is how He reveals Himself to us. Prayer is the means of communicating with God on a daily basis and allowing Him to provide His enabling power. It is the will of God that our lives need to continually allow Him to be Lord over all we do. Without Bible study and prayer, it is impossible to defeat the enemy. Living in God's will, we will experience victory over Satan. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you (James 4:7).

God has placed a special call on each of our lives. We need not fear if we are capable or not. God will equip us to do the work that He has called us to do. So let us purpose in our hearts to finish the work the Lord has called us to do. That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God (Col. 1:10).

No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God (Luke 9:62).

Thought for Today:

Each Christian is individually responsible for accomplishing what God has for him to do.
Christ Revealed:

Through the great (huge) stones used in building the Temple of God (Ezra 5:8). Jesus Christ is the Stone which the builders refused (rejected), and He has become the Head Stone of the Corner (Cornerstone) of our faith (Ps. 118:22; Matt. 21:42).
Word Studies:

3:3 his bases, its original foundation; 3:8 set forward, oversee; 3:11 by course, by the assigned divisions of priests; 4:4 weakened the hands of, discouraged and frightened; 5:10 certify, inform.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Mike J. Rogers (MI) • Country: Germany (82 million) in north-central Europe • Major language: German • Religious freedom • 33.8% Evangelical (Lutheran); 33.6% Catholic; 3.4% Muslim; 1% Orthodox; 1% Other Christian; .2% Other; 27% None • Prayer Suggestion: Pray, in faith, for God to work a miracle (II Kings 4:33-34).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 4

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 6 – 7
Highlights:

Darius' decree to complete the Temple; dedication of the Temple; Passover restored; Ezra goes to Jerusalem; Artaxerxes' favorable commission to Ezra.
And this House was finished on the third day of the month Adar (Ezra 6:15).

The building of the Temple had been at a standstill for fourteen years, but once God's Word and authority were recognized, they began to build the House of God (5:2). What caused this revival? Their circumstances had not changed, and there was the same intense opposition and determination by the enemy to cause the work to cease. But this time, they were strengthened by the power of the Word, and they could not cause them to cease (compare 4:4-5,23 with 5:3-5).

The key to overcoming their opposition and gaining power to complete the Temple is clearly stated: And they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah (6:14). God's work can only be sustained and strengthened through obedience to God's Word, which is the foundation of our Christian life — one power that Satan cannot overcome.

Satan never gives up trying to defeat us. One of his greatest tactics is to distract us from our daily reading of the Word of God. He will use any means available at his disposal to accomplish his goal. Remember, you are fighting a spiritual battle against a skilled enemy. But the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds (II Cor. 10:4). The Word of God is the ultimate asset in this fight. Relying on His Word as the source of strength, the child of God cannot be defeated.

Many of God's people go year after year, making little or no spiritual progress, mainly because they neglected and consequently disobeyed the Word of God! If we intend to grow spiritually, it is a necessity that we daily read and study the Word of God. There are those who have attended church for many, many years, but unfortunately, that is the only place some open a Bible. For some, spiritual maturity is measured in years of service. However, it can also be measured by how much we have equipped ourselves with our greatest weapon, the Word of God. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).

Desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby (I Pet. 2:2).

Thought for Today:

Obedience is characteristic of a life of faith.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Feast of Unleavened (yeast-free) Bread (Ezra 6:22). Jesus is the Bread of Life (John 6:35), and He was without sin (Heb. 4:15). Leaven is symbolic of sin.
Word Studies:

6:1 house of the rolls building where records were kept on scrolls; 6:4 king's house, royal treasury; 6:15 Adar compares with February and March; 7:21 the river, Euphrates.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Roscoe G. Bartlett (MD) • Country: Ghana (19 million) in western Africa • Major languages: English and African languages • The government permits freedom to churches and missionaries that do not get involved in politics • 31% belief in spirits and witches; 22% Protestant; 17% Muslim; 11% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray, remembering that there is no one like God (II Kings 19:14-15,19).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Psalms 1:1-2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 8 – 9

Highlights:

Genealogy of Ezra's companions; Ezra proclaims a fast; treasures delivered to priests; Ezra's prayer and confession.
I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, My God . . . we have forsaken Thy Commandments (Ezra 9:6,10).

Ezra, the priest, not only prepared his heart to seek the Law of God, but he wanted all of God's people to know God's will through it. His purpose for going to Jerusalem was to teach in Israel statutes and judgments (7:10).

It took four months after leaving Babylon for Ezra and his 1,800 followers to complete the 800-mile journey and arrive in the Holy City. He was heartbroken over the low moral and negative spiritual condition that prevailed.

Fifty-seven years had passed since Haggai and Zechariah, through their prophetic ministry, had inspired the nation to seek the Lord God of Israel (6:21), but there had been no prophets to teach God's Commandments to the new generation. Without the continual reading, studying, and teaching of God's Word, we can quickly find ourselves in a similar spiritual condition. Scripture teaches of itself: Where there is no vision (God's Word), the people perish: but he that keepeth the Law, happy is he (Prov. 29:18).

Ezra read and taught the Scripture, and it resulted in a great, sweeping revival (see Ezra 10:12). Our Lord's words to His disciples confirm the necessity of knowing the Old Testament when, beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself (Luke 24:27). Surely they had a good knowledge of the Old Testament Scriptures, but they needed a further revelation of Christ in His Word. Jesus is revealed throughout the Old Testament in a vast number of Messianic promises. These can be found from Genesis and throughout the books of the prophets. They foretell the coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Today, the Holy Spirit indwells every believer, and we should pray that He will guide us into all Truth (John 16:13). He is the One who helps us to walk uprightly before God. He helps us to make the right choices. He will help unfold the Word of God to us. As we allow Him, the Holy Spirit will teach us the Word of God and its deeper meanings. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (John 14:26).

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Ps. 119:105).

Thought for Today:

In humility we should yield to the Holy Spirit and follow His leading.
Christ Portrayed:

By Ezra, who mourned over the sins of the people of Jerusalem (Ezra 9:5). Twice it is recorded that, when Jesus looked upon Jerusalem, He also mourned for the people (Luke 13:34; 19:41).
Word Studies:

8:29 chambers, storerooms; 9:3 mantle, robe; 9:7 confusion of face, shame, confessing to following God but living like the world. As the people of God, we are to come out from among them, and be . . . separate (II Cor. 6:17); 9:8 a nail in His Holy Place, a secure hold on the promised land; 9:12 wealth, well-being.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Printer: Ambrose Printing Staff, Nashville TN • Staff: Chris Robison • Government Official: Sen. Mike Lee (UT) • Country: Greece (10.5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Greek and English • Government restrictions on witnessing to others about Christ • 87% Orthodox; 8% Old Calendar Orthodox; 2% Catholic; 1.2% Muslim; .5% Jehovah's Witness; .3% Protestant; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for spiritual prosperity (I Chr. 4:9-10).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 6

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Ezra 10

Highlights:

People hunger for righteousness; confession and repentance.
And Ezra the priest stood up, and said unto them, Ye have transgressed, and have taken strangewives . . . therefore . . . separate yourselves from the people of the land, and from the strange wives (Ezra 10:10-11).

When Ezra arrived in Jerusalem, he discovered that the priests, Levites, and rulers had intermarried with their idolatrous neighbors — the very thing that had caused their captivity and destruction (Deut. 7:3-4).

Ezra was so moved over the sinful condition of the nation that he rent his garment, and plucked off the hair of his head and his beard. And, as he prayed, confessing the sins of the nation, there were assembled unto him everyone who trembled at the words of . . . God (Ezra 9:3-4). They weren't trembling over what Ezra was saying, but at the words of God.

The power is never in the man, but the power comes from God. Man speaking from himself can accomplish very little. However, if a person speaks under the inspiration of God, his words can move mountains. That is why it is important to read and learn the Word of God. It is through God's Word, written, prayed, or spoken, that hearts and lives are touched and changed. For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in Truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (I Thess. 2:13).

Ezra recognized his nation's spiritual and moral needs because he knew God's Word. He was deeply concerned that he — as well as his people — be obedient to the Word of God. Therefore, he urged an immediate separation from their foreign wives until the fierce wrath of our God for this matter be turned from us (Ezra 10:14).

Naturally, this involved much heartbreak and many tears. Everyone involved was hurt deeply, but there could be no return to God without a complete and final separation. This may seem severe, but the great sin of marrying the heathen would lead to another captivity and hinder God's promise to Abraham and David about the coming Messiah (Deut. 7:1-9).

If our lives are to be acceptable to Him, we must separate ourselves from the sins of the world. We were created to glorify Him, and we exalt Him as we obey Him and do His will. God hath said, I will dwell in them . . . My people (II Cor. 6:16).

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing (II Cor. 6:17).

Thought for Today:

Self-denial may at times be difficult, but the outcome brings joy and peace.
Christ Revealed:

Through the ram (male sheep) that was offered for the offenses of the sons of the priests (Ezra 10:19). Christ offered Himself for the sins and offenses of all mankind. He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them (Heb. 7:25).
Word Studies:

10:1 wept very sore, wept bitterly; 10:2 strange, foreign; 10:8 substance, property; 10:13 without, outside in the rain; 10:15 were employed about, were opposed to; 10:19 gave their hands, promised, vowed.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Dan Murton • Country: Greenland (60,000) northeast of Canada • Major languages: Eskimo dialects and Danish • Religious freedom • 98% Protestant; .1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and then obediently do what God says (I Chr. 14:14-16).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 1 – 3
Highlights:

Nehemiah's prayer for Jerusalem; Nehemiah permitted to go to Jerusalem; walls rebuilt.

Then I told them of the hand of my God which was good upon me; as also the king's words that he had spoken unto me. And they said, Let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work (Neh. 2:18).

It was an answer to prayer and fasting that the king of Persia overruled a formal decree that this city (Jerusalem) be not builded. Up to this time the Medes and Persians had never reversed a decree (compare Ezra 4:21 with Dan. 6:8). The Persian king not only reversed the decree, but he appointed Nehemiah governor over Jerusalem and commissioned him to build the walls (Neh. 2:6-8).

Nehemiah soon faced opposition similar to that which Zerubbabel faced 100 years earlier. Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem laughed him to scorn and ridiculed him, thinking this would cause him to stop work. But instead, Nehemiah said: The God of heaven, He will prosper us (2:20). He knew his God would fight for him and that he didn't have to depend on human strategy, power, or abilities. Nehemiah recognized God as the source of his strength and knew that, with His help, he could do great things. It is through God that we stand in this world. Without Him, we are incapable of anything holy and just. For the Scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew My power in thee, and that My Name might be declared throughout all the earth (Rom. 9:17).

The key to Nehemiah's faith was his unhesitating confidence in God's Word and the time he spent in prayer. Eleven times it is recorded in this book that Nehemiah prayed (Neh. 1:4-11; 2:4; 4:4-5,9; 5:19; 6:9; 6:14; 13:14; 13:22; 13:29; 13:31).

Just as Nehemiah's enemies were watching him, as Christians we are being observed by all those around us. It is important to stay focused on Jesus, depending on Him to guide us according to His Word. The world offers many pathways in life but we must turn to Jesus and not to the world to find our direction. He will lead us in the right way because He is The Way. Jesus saith unto him, I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6).

The world judges by outward appearance and great accomplishments, but God looks on the heart and blesses accordingly.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

Thought for Today:

Without prayer, nothing lasting can take place; and without the Word of God, Christians cannot be awakened to the power of prayer.
Christ Revealed:

Through Nehemiah's prayer for his people (Neh. 1:4-11). Christ also prayed for His own throughout the ages, which includes us today (John 17:20).
Word Studies:

1:5 terrible, awesome, greatly to be feared; 2:2 countenance, face; 2:7 convey me over, allow me to pass; 2:20 no portion, no part or property; 3:19 turning, corner; 3:23 over against,  in front of, opposite of; 3:25 lieth out, extends from.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Officials: Gov. Bob McDonnell (VA), Rep. Marsha Blackburn (TN), and Rep. Eric I. Cantor (VA) • Country: Grenada (97,000) southernmost of the Windward Islands • Major language: English • Religious freedom • 61% Roman Catholic; 31% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Seek God in prayer continually and depend on His strength (I Chr. 16:11).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read Nehemiah 4 – 6
Highlights:

Builders opposed and ridiculed; Nehemiah's prayer; weapons for the workers; evils corrected; walls completed.
And there was a great cry of the people and of their wives against their brethren the Jews. . . . I was very angry when I heard their cry (Neh. 5:1,6).

There had been a famine in the land, and food was scarce. Many of the people had mortgaged everything they had in order to purchase food for their families. Some of them had even sold their children as servants.

When Nehemiah heard that the leaders had accepted the property — and even the children — of their less fortunate brethren, he became very angry and ordered them to restore all the property and children they had accepted.

God had given the leaders an opportunity to express love to their less fortunate brethren, but their selfish spirit led them to sin. No doubt, the people of the land became bitter because of the sacrifices they had to make as a result of the famine. But God allowed all these struggles, trials, and famine in order to reveal just what was in the hearts of His people. Always remember, God is in control. His plans are intended to reveal the true nature of our hearts. You might be able to conceal the reality of who you really are from other people. However, you will never be able to mask yourself before God. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things . . . and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts (I Cor. 4:5).

The Lord often allows His children to be confronted with unfavorable situations with others in order to expose our selfish attitudes. All too often, we become bitter and blame either our circumstances or other people. We will never grow in God until we learn to not make excuses when we make mistakes, fall short or sin. We simply need to confess these shortcomings to God and repent. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9).

We must take heed lest our trials cause us to judge others instead of ourselves. Our love and loyalty to God is demonstrated in showing our love for our fellowman. And our relationship with Him is reflected in the way we love others. He wants each of us — individually — to yield our will to His will and seek to express the joy, love, and peace of Christ.

And the King shall . . . say . . . Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me (Matt. 25:40).

Thought for Today:

Pray that God will make you more loving toward the ones you find hard to love.
Christ Portrayed:

By Nehemiah and other Jews who had bought back (redeemed) some Jews who had been sold to the heathen as slaves while in Persia (Neh. 5:8). We, which He hath purchased with His own blood (Acts 20:28), were redeemed when we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
Word Studies:

4:7 breaches, broken places; 4:10 strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, strength of the workmen is failing; 4:20 resort ye thither, assemble there; 5:3 dearth, famine; 5:7 usury, interest; 5:10 exact of them, require; 6:8 feignest, made up the story.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Rev. Gladys V. Davis • Staff: Karen Hawkins • Government Officials: Rep. Mike Pence (IN) and Rep. Ben Ray Luján (NM) • Country: Guatemala (12.3 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian languages • Religious freedom • 60% Catholic; 35% Protestant; 2% Animist; 1.5% Other; 1.5% None • Prayer Suggestion: Humbly kneel before the Lord in prayer and worship the Lord (II Chr. 6:13).
Optional Reading: II Corinthians 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk