Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 21 – 22

Highlights:

Three years of famine; seven members of Saul's family hanged; David's victories and songs of thanksgiving.
And David spake unto the Lord the words of this song. . . . As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of the Lord is tried: He is a buckler to all them who trust in Him (II Sam. 22:1, 31).

A severe famine had devastated the land for three years. David prayed, asking God why there was a famine in the land. God told him it was because Saul had broken the covenant Joshua had made with the Gibeonites more than 400 years earlier (Josh. 9:16-17). This incident in the life of David shows how sacred God considers a vow, even though it was made to an unbelieving Canaanite nation.

David had not complained to the Lord: "This famine has lasted three years." Instead, he prayed: "Have mercy on us and now grant us a rich harvest this year." We then read: God was intreated (heeded the prayer) for the land (II Sam. 21:14). The Lord revealed to David the purpose for the famine and David became known as the light of Israel (21:17). In David's song (which is identical to Psalm 18) there is not one complaint — only praise to the Lord who is worthy to be praised (22:3-4; Ps. 18:3).

Although David's life was filled with many disappointments and sorrows, he readily confessed that it was the Lord who gave every provision of life, every deliverance from his enemies. It was natural for David to sing: Therefore I will give thanks unto Thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto Thy Name (II Sam. 22:50; Ps. 18:49). David teaches us to give praise to God in the midst of stressful times — regardless of our circumstances. Such a testimony may be the Lord's means of letting others come to know Him.

This song rings with the assurance that God is a personal Friend who cares for each person as if he were the only person on earth. Praise God! He can be touched with the feeling of our infirmities (weaknesses) (Heb. 4:15). There are times when believers pray without getting immediate answers from God; but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength (Is. 40:31). Consider your motive: God cannot answer prayers that are out of harmony with His will. Therefore it is in our best interest that we come to know and then live in harmony with His revealed Word.

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created (Rev. 4:11).

Thought for Today:

Give praise to God — regardless of your circumstances. They may be the Lord's means of letting others come to know Him.
Christ Portrayed:

As the One we call upon for salvation (II Sam. 22:4). Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12).
Word Studies:

21:5 coasts, boundaries, territories; 22:3 horn of my salvation, saving strength; 22:6 prevented, confronted; 22:19 stay, support; 22:27 froward, perverse; unsavoury, astute, cunning; 22:31 buckler, defender; 22:46 close places, strongholds.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Linda Kennon • Country: Bhutan (2 million) in the eastern Himalayas of central Asia • Major languages: Tibetan and Nepalese dialects • Public worship, evangelism, and proselytization are illegal • 50-70% Buddhist; 24-45% Hindu; 5% Muslim; 1% Protestant/Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray when you are afflicted and suffering (James 5:13).
Optional Reading: Acts 20

Memory Verse for the Week: John 11:26

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Samuel 23 – 24

Highlights:

David's last words; David's mighty men; his sin in numbering the people; three days' plague; David builds an altar to God.
And David's heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the Lord, I have sinned greatly in that I have done (II Sam. 24:10).

In chapter 23 the achievements of David's mighty men were made known. Did David's heart swell with pride as he thought about the achievements of his mighty warriors and his great victories?

It is not important that we know David's motive, but one thing is certain — Satan, the author of pride, prompted David to take a census to determine how many men were available for his army (see I Chr. 21:1). Although the numbering of the people seemed quite harmless, the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel (II Sam. 24:1). Even Joab recognized that David's purpose in taking the census was to enhance his own prestige (I Chr. 21:3).

There could never be a numbering of the people or a census taken without making an Atonement Offering, so that there be no plague among them (Ex. 30:12). The Atonement Offering reminded Israel how easily man can become a victim of his own success and lose his dependence upon the mercy of God.

God had not authorized this numbering of the tribes of Israel, and seventy thousand men died as a result of the judgment of God. David realized his mistake and confessed to God, I have sinned greatly (II Sam. 24:10).

David learned by experience that the Lord saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's (I Sam. 17:47). God was the strength of Israel — and He is our strength. When He leads the way, there is victory; but without His sustaining grace, we are powerless. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall (Prov. 16:18).

Assuming that our preservation depends on our abilities is an act of pride. This attitude of self-importance and self-love brings His judgment upon us. Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom . . . But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knowth Me (Jer. 9:23-24).

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me (II Cor. 12:7).

Thought for Today:

When the Lord says, "I will send thee," you can rest assured He will provide everything necessary for the appointed task.
Christ Revealed:

Through the silver which David used to purchase the threshingfloor upon which he built . . . an altar unto the Lord (II Sam. 24:24-25). Silver symbolizes Christ's redemption offered for all on the cross. Judas said unto them, What will ye give me? . . . And they covenanted (agreed) with him for thirty pieces of silver (Matt. 26:15).
Word Studies:

23:10 clave, clung; spoil, plunder, loot; 23:13 chief, foremost, captains; 23:14 hold, stronghold, fortification; 24:10 heart smote him, heart bothered him; 24:14 a great strait, great distress, difficulty; 24:16 stay now thine hand, do no more.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Officials: Sen. Pat Roberts (KS), and Rep. Dan J. Benishek (MI) • Country: Bolivia (8 million) in South America • Major languages: Spanish and Quechua • Religious freedom • 92% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant; 3% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede fervently in prayer for others (James 5:16).
Optional Reading: Acts 21

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 1 – 2:25

Highlights:

Solomon anointed king; David's last instructions to Solomon; David's death; Adonijah put to death.
And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in His ways, to keep His Statutes, and His Commandments . . . that thou mayest prosper (I Kin. 2:3).

David's last words to Solomon revealed his greatest desire for his son — that he would live to please the Lord. David said nothing to Solomon about gaining fame for his kingdom, but he stressed the importance of keeping the Commandments of God, that thou mayest prosper. The word prosper here does not mean material wealth, but literally means to live in harmony with God.

Material blessings are incidental and may or may not be obtained by those who prosper from the Lord's point of view. Stephen or Paul did not prosper in the eyes of the world, but their true prosperity was exceedingly abundant.

Paul gave one of his strongest warnings when he wrote: But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness (I Tim. 6:9-11).

False prophets and their greedy followers seek to gain wealth and worldly possessions in rebellion to our Lord's command: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth . . . take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles (worldly-minded) seek) (Matt. 6:19,31-32).

The truly blessed man is protected against a fruitless life of failure because his delight is in the Law of the Lord; and in His Law doth he meditate day and night. . . . and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper (Ps. 1:1-3).

Since the Scriptures are the unique revelation of the will of God to the believer, we possess the greatest gift that can be bestowed upon man. What a privilege we have to prayerfully read the Bible each day!

He that hath My Commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him (John 14:21).

Thought for Today:

How concerned are you about the Lord's presence?
Christ Revealed:

By the oil used to anoint Solomon (I Kin. 1:39). Oil, symbolic of the Holy Spirit, was poured out upon those chosen for special service. Jesus is the Anointed One of God: God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good (Acts 10:38). The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor (needy) (Luke 4:18; see Is. 61:1).
Word Studies:

1:2 cherish, be of service as his nurse; 1:6 not displeased, never rebuked or corrected; 2:6 hoar head . . . peace, die of old age in peace; 2:17 say thee nay, refuse your request.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Country: Bosnia and Hercegovina (4 million) on the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe • Major language: Serbo-Croatian • Little evangelism being done • 40% Muslim; 28% Serbian Orthodox; 14% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that prayer changes things (James 5:16-18).
Optional Reading: Acts 22

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 2:26 – 4

Highlights:

Joab put to death; Shimei slain; Solomon's marriage to Pharaoh's daughter; Solomon's dream.
And Solomon made affinity with Pharaoh king of Egypt, and took Pharaoh's daughter . . . And Solomon loved the Lord . . . only he sacrificed and burnt incense in high places (I Kin. 3:1-3).

At the beginning of his reign, Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of David his father (3:3). But it soon became evident that Solomon did not take seriously his sacred responsibility to keep the charge of the Lord (2:3). His affinity with Pharaoh was the first association between Israel and Egypt since the time of the exodus 480 years earlier (6:1) when Israel had been in the house of bondage as slaves (Ex. 13:3).

Moses, the great deliverer, brought Israel out of Egypt (representing worldliness) to worship Jehovah, but by bringing the Egyptian princess into the City of God, Solomon opened the way for idol worship in Israel.

Solomon's marriage to Pharaoh's daughter may have been politically advantageous to prevent future wars with Egypt and to increase his prestige among the surrounding nations (I Kin. 9:16). But this association paved the way for other alliances that eventually destroyed Solomon's relationship with God.

Solomon had begun his reign by sacrificing a thousand burnt offerings. He loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of David his father (3:3), but his foreign wives caused him to turn away his heart after other gods (11:4). Instead of loving the Lord with all his heart (Deut. 6:5), he sacrificed and burnt incense in high places. The thousand Burnt Offerings (I Kin. 3:4) could not compensate for his compromises.

Compromise is a tiny foothold of sin that eventually becomes a monster destroying all spiritual usefulness in one's life. Solomon let Satan in the door by what must have seemed to him incidental compromises of diplomacy of little consequence. He needed to read the words of Samuel the prophet to Saul when he said: Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice (I Sam. 15:22).

Worldly associations, compromise, and powerlessness are inseparably linked. Christians must recognize that friendship of the world is enmity with God (James 4:4). Spiritual effectiveness is not dependent upon one's abilities but upon uncompromising loyalty to our Lord.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers (II Cor. 6:14).

Thought for Today:

It is impossible to obtain the Lord's best while trying to gain the best of both worlds.
Christ Portrayed:

Through the wisdom which God gave Solomon (I Kin. 3:12). That no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord (I Cor. 1:29-31).
Word Studies:

2:44 is privy to, knowingly did; 3:1 made affinity, made an alliance by marriage; 3:19 overlaid it, laid on him; 3:26 her bowels yearned, she had motherly compassion; 4:6 tribute, forced labor; 4:28 dromedaries, young camels, swift steeds; charge, responsibility.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Jim R. Langevin (RI) • Country: Botswana (1.5 million) in southern Africa • Major languages: English and Setswana • Limited religious freedom because of local chiefs • 58% Christian; 40% Indigenous; .8% Baha'i; .2% Muslim; .2% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Be grateful for your inheritance as a child of the King (I Pet. 1:3-4).
Optional Reading: Acts 23

Memory Verse for the Week: John 13:33

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 5 – 7

Highlights:

Solomon's Temple built; furnishings of the Temple.
And it came to pass in the four hundred and eightieth year after the children of Israel were come out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon's reign over Israel . . . he began to build the House of the Lord. . . . And in the eleventh year . . . was the House finished (I Kin. 6:1,38).

The erection of the Temple was a noiseless work. There was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the House, while it was in building (6:7). The material was prepared in Lebanon and erected in Jerusalem. There was noise in Lebanon, but in Jerusalem there was quiet and peace.

This silence was designed by God to convey the unnoticed, secret manner in which God works to perfect the Christian's life. There is much noise and confusion in the world; but when we let Christ do His work in our hearts, we experience quiet and sweet peace. Now the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always by all means (II Thess. 3:16).

No other building in all the world compared with Solomon's Temple. The fame of Solomon's Temple was not due to its size, but to its remarkable workmanship and its costly materials. The most costly materials and treasures were lavished upon it. It is symbolic of the Christian who is more precious to the Heavenly Father than all earth's treasures. We have this treasure (Christ) in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us (II Cor. 4:7).

But the world only observed the external beauty of the Temple; its true glory was inside. The Shekinah glory — the presence of God — dwelled within the Holy of Holies. The world could only hear about this glory, but they could never experience it.

This is also true of the Christian, who is the temple of God. The glory of God dwells in each believer. The miracle of the new birth and the indwelling Holy Spirit is what makes the difference between the Christian and the unsaved, who in their unbelief cannot share in His glory.

The glory of God is the satisfaction and the life of those who know Him. He desires to bestow His precious gifts of love, joy, peace, and gentleness to every believer.

The presence of God is experienced by those who honor Him. Just think! As the popular song says, "He is big enough to rule His mighty universe, yet small enough to live within my heart." Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Corner Stone . . . In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit (Eph. 2:20-22).

Thought for Today:

Christ is the great Victor who lives in our hearts, and we must willingly cooperate with Him.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Temple (I Kin. 6). Christ is the true Temple (John 2:21). Through Christ all believers have access to God (Rom. 5:12-21). Through Him we . . . have access by one Spirit unto the Father (Eph. 2:18).
Word Studies:

5:3 under the soles of his feet, under his control; 5:4 evil occurrent, evil happening; 5:13 levy, forced labor; 6:2 cubit, about 18 inches; 6:5 oracle, Holy of Holies. Oracle in I Kings 8:8-9, inner sanctuary, location of the two tables of stone. God cannot be separated from His Word whether spoken or written; 6:38 month (of) Bul, October/November; 7:4 ranks, rows; 7:9 coping, the top, the highest course of stone; 7:14 cunning, skilled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Bonnie Wilhite • Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Government Official: Rep. Fred Upton (MI) • Country: Brazil (168 million) in South America • Major languages: Portuguese and Spanish • Religious freedom • 67% Catholic; 21% Protestant; 4% spiritist; .7% Buddhist; .7% Muslim; .15% Indigenous; 2.4% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Offer your gift of praise to God in prayer (I Pet. 2:5).
Optional Reading: Acts 24

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 8

Highlights:

Ark brought into the Temple and dedicated; Solomon's prayer; his sacrifices.
So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the Lord had filled the House of the Lord (I Kin. 8:11).

Before the dedication of the Temple, it was essential that the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord must be first placed in the Holy of Holies (8:1-9). The Ark was the symbol of the presence of God. It contained the Ten Commandments which Moses placed there centuries before.

The tables of the Law represented the wisdom and the holiness of the One True God. It was following the placing of the Ark within the Holy of Holies that the glory of the Lord had filled the House of the Lord.

After Solomon dedicated the Temple, he stood before the Altar of the Lord and began to pray, but when he finished praying, he was on his knees (compare 8:22 and 8:54). The realization of the presence of God humbled wise Solomon as he acknowledged his unworthiness to stand before the most Holy God. But Jehovah's presence was even more fully manifested following Solomon's prayer.

First, the glory of the Lord came down in a cloud; then, fire came down from heaven, and consumed the Burnt Offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the Lord filled the House (II Chr. 7:1).

All the Israelites saw the fire and the glory of the Lord . . . they bowed themselves . . . and worshipped, and praised the Lord, saying, For He is good; for His mercy endureth for ever (7:3).

From the beginning of time, it was the plan of God to dwell among man and show forth His glory. Through man's sin, this plan seemingly failed. But God first carried out His plan through His chosen people, the Israelites. He dwelt in the midst of His people — first in the Tabernacle, and then in the Temple.

Israel was chosen by the One True God to let the world know that the blessings of God were available in abundance for everyone who kept His Commandments (I Kin. 8:25) — for Jehovah is the God of all people and will do, and give to every man according to his ways (8:39-42; Ex. 22:21; Lev. 25:35; Num. 15:14-16; Deut. 10:19; 31:12).

The one supreme purpose of God was that all the people of the earth may know that the Lord is God, and that there is none else (I Kin. 8:60). And now He dwells within the hearts of all Christians.

Ye are the temple of the Living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people (II Cor. 6:16).

Thought for Today:

The holiness of God shows the vileness of sin.
Christ Revealed:

As the perfect Temple of God before whom all kings of the earth one day must bow (I Kin. 8:54; John 2:19-21). Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a Name which is above every name (Phil. 2:9).
Word Studies:

8:2 Ethanim (later called Tishri), September/October; 8:37 blasting, blight; 8:47 bethink themselves, learn their lesson and repent.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Staff: Mike Moore • Government Official: Rep. Jack Kingston (GA) • Country: Brunei (400,000) on the northern coast of Borneo • Major languages: Malay and English • Limited religious freedom • 66% Muslim; 19% Chinese religions; 6% animist; 4% Protestant; 4% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that your life will be a good testimony to others, even when faced with opposition (I Pet. 2:12).
Optional Reading: Acts 25

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 9 – 11

Highlights:

Queen of Sheba's visit; Solomon's riches and fame; God rebukes Solomon; Solomon's death.
And Solomon did evil in the sight of the Lord, and went not fully after the Lord, as did David his father (I Kin. 11:6).

Solomon inherited a kingdom which had been established in righteousness. God gave him special privileges that far exceeded those of all the other kings. Although the Lord appeared to Solomon three times (3:5; 9:2; 11:9-11), He did not appear to David even once. God allowed Solomon to build the Temple, but denied David that privilege. He gave Solomon great wisdom that brought him recognition throughout the world.

But as Solomon advanced in wealth and popularity, the simplicity of his trust in God gradually disappeared. The king who built the world-famous Temple to the Living God also built many idol-worship temples to please his ungodly wives (11:7-8).

Solomon had the best of everything the world had to offer. Nations all over the world were impressed and delighted with his gigantic enterprises. But the corrupting influences of his wealth, worldly politics, and his many wives left a curse upon his reign. Consequently, not one prophet of God was prominent in Solomon's life.

The man who had everything his heart desired finally confessed, I hated life . . . for all is vanity and vexation of spirit (Eccl. 2:17). There is no way worldly pleasures can bring true happiness. That which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God (Luke 16:15).

As Solomon forsook the Commandments of God, his splendor began to decline and God raised up adversaries against him. First, Hadad the Edomite organized resistance to Solomon; then, Rezon of Syria became a troublemaker. But Solomon's greatest threat was the discontentment of the Ephraimites. Jeroboam, who at one time was highly honored in Solomon's administration, became a spokesman for the tribe of Ephraim and instigated the division of Solomon's kingdom soon after his death (I Kin. 11:26).

There was no repentance from Solomon — no tears like those his father David shed after each failure — and Solomon's kingdom crumbled because of his sin.

What happened to Solomon can happen to anyone who allows pleasure, riches, or lust to crowd out devotion to God.

Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of trangressors is hard (Prov. 13:15).

Thought for Today:

The rewards for both good and evil are everlasting.
Christ Portrayed:

By David who lived to please the Lord in integrity of heart (I Kin. 9:4). Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man (Luke 2:52).
Word Studies:

9:13 Cabul, displeasing, as worthless; 9:15 levy, tax in the form of forced labor; 9:22 bondmen, slaves, forced laborers; 9:24 Millo, a mound of earth raised as a fortress just north of Mount Zion and outside the original city of David; 10:2 train, royal attendants; 10:5 there was no more spirit in her, she was breathless, overwhelmed, amazed; 10:19 stays, armrests; 10:26 bestowed, stationed; 11:1 strange, foreign; 11:5 abomination, horrible, detestable idol; 11:31 rend, tear.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Calley Hayes • Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Government Official: Sen. Jon Kyl (AZ) • Country: Bulgaria (8.2 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Bulgarian and ethnic languages • Newly opened to evangelism • 85% Eastern Orthodox; 12% Muslim Sunni; 1% Shi'a Muslim; .6% Catholic; .27% Protestant; .1% Armenian Gregorian; .03% Jewish; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Wives, pray for a quiet, loving spirit to win your husband to Christ (I Pet. 3:1-2).
Optional Reading: Acts 26

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 12 – 13

Highlights:

Rehoboam, king of Judah; Jeroboam, king of Israel; the idolatry of Israelites; disobedient prophet slain.
And when the prophet that brought him back from the way heard thereof, he said, It is the man of God, who was disobedient unto the Word of the Lord: therefore the Lord hath delivered him unto the lion, which hath torn him, and slain him, according to the Word of the Lord, which He spake unto him (I Kin. 13:26).

Jeroboam successfully led a revolt against the united kingdom and with the support of the ten northern tribes, split it into two kingdoms. The tribe of Judah, as well as the tribe of Benjamin and most of the Levites, remained faithful to the Davidic dynasty and worshiped in Jerusalem.

Jeroboam feared that if the people went to Jerusalem to worship, they might desire to unite the kingdom; therefore he set up two worship centers, one in Dan and the other in Bethel. Jeroboam led Israel to worship idols by setting up a golden calf in each of the new sanctuaries.

Jeroboam is an example of all who have yielded to the temptation to abandon doing the will of God in order to gain political or personal advantage.

Three tragedies are presented in this chapter. First, King Jeroboam was more concerned about his control over a nation than he was about the control of God over him. Second, although the old prophet knew the will of God, he lied. He influenced the young prophet not to complete what God had called him to do. The third tragedy was the young prophet's untimely, tragic death. He had the message of God and the courage to preach it, and he refused all the king's bribes. He stood fearlessly in the midst of a multitude, proclaiming the judgment of God upon disobedience. Neither the pleasures of a luxurious table nor the prospect of comfortable lodging after the fatigue of a long journey could tempt him to swerve from the path of commanded duty.

But the young prophet disobeyed God when he accepted the warm reception of the aged, backslidden prophet. The resulting catastrophe was a severe but necessary judgment of God to attest the truth of the message with which the prophet had been charged.

It is not difficult to recognize obvious sin and reject it, but Christians often miss the Lord's best by becoming involved in something that, in itself, may not be sinful, but something that keeps us from accomplishing the purposes of God.

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love (Rev. 2:4).

Thought for Today:

The person who satisfies God is obedient to His indwelling Spirit.
Christ Portrayed:

Through Shemaiah who spoke for the Lord (I Kin. 12:22). Jesus spoke only what the Father told Him: I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a Commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak (John 12:49).
Word Studies:

12:14 scorpions, scourges with sharp points; 12:32 high places, pagan shrines; 13:6 Intreat, Plead in prayer; 13:32 cried, shouted, declared.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Audrey Hash • Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Rep. Niki Tsongas (MA) and Res. Comm. Pedro R. Pierluisi (PR) • Country: Burkina Faso (11 million) in western Africa • Major languages: French and Sudanic tribal languages • Religious freedom • 48% Muslim; 33% belief in false gods, idolatry, and heathenism; 14% Roman Catholic; 5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Husbands, give honor to your wives, or else your prayers will be obstructed (I Pet. 3:7).
Optional Reading: Acts 27

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 14 – 15
Highlights:

Ahijah's prophecy; reign and death of Rehoboam; Asa's good reign in Judah.
Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem: And he took away the treasures of the House of the Lord (I Kin. 14:25-26).

The strength of Jerusalem was God, who withdrew His presence when idol worship was practiced in Jerusalem. Therefore, the kingdom of Judah was easily defeated by Shishak, king of Egypt.

When Rehoboam strengthened himself, he forsook the Law of the Lord (II Chr. 12:1). But that didn't mean that he had forsaken going through the ceremonial services in the House of God. The Temple and its services were still being maintained but Rehoboam allowed sodomites — male and female prostitutes — to practice their cultic religions on every high hill where there were images and altars to the false gods (I Kin. 14:23-24,28). He only meant to be broad-minded and tolerant and recognize other religions as equal to his own traditional past.

But there must be an open declaration of what is sin and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret (Eph. 5:11-12).

God permitted Shishak to invade Jerusalem and carry away its immense wealth, including the shields of gold — the symbol of His protection (I Kin. 14:26). Not wanting to be embarrassed by the absence of the golden shields, Rehoboam made in their stead brasen (brass) shields (14:27) and continued his ceremonies as though nothing had happened. He had substituted worthless brass — a symbol of idolatry — to replace the gold — a symbol of the precious presence of God. Unless one looked closely, he could not tell the difference.

Pity the poor, self-deceived soul who gives the appearance of worshiping God, but does not worship Him from the heart in obedience to His Word. His worship is worthless.

The deadness and discord that exists in some churches may be well hidden by all the activities going on, but a careful observer will notice the emptiness of that ministry. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away (II Tim. 3:5).

What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (II Cor. 6:14).

Thought for Today:

The Lord is our strength and our shield.
Christ Revealed:

In Asa's ridding the land of idols and sodomites (I Kin. 15:11-14). Christ cleansed the Temple (Matt. 21:12-13; John 2:13-17). As Christians, we are the Temples of God, bought with His own blood (I Cor. 6:19-20; II Cor. 6:16-17) and are cleansed of all unrighteousness when we confess our sins (I John 1:9).
Word Studies:

14:3 cracknels, cakes or fig bars; 14:5 feign herself, pretend; 14:6 heavy tidings, very sad news; 14:15 groves, pagan idol shrines; 15:12 took away the sodomites, banished homosexual male prostitutes; 15:17 suffer, allow or permit.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Bible Pathway Media Producer Rick Hash • Government Officials: Sen. Daniel A. Webster (FL), and Rep. G.K. Butterfield, Jr. (NC) • Country: Burundi (6 million) in east-central Africa • Major languages: Kirundi and French • Losing religious freedom • 51% Roman Catholic; 12% animist; 11% Protestant; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for unity of spirit with other believers (I Pet. 3:8).
Optional Reading: Acts 28

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Kings 16 – 18

Highlights:

Zimri slays Baasha's descendants; Zimri's suicide; Omri's reign; Ahab's reign; Elijah's prediction of drought; his contest with prophets of Baal.
And Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the Lord above all that were before him. And it came to pass, as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, that he took to wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Zidonians, and went and served Baal, and worshipped him (I Kin. 16:30-31).

Ahab, king of Samaria, was one of the most powerful kings ever to rule the Northern Kingdom. But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the Lord, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up (21:25). Jezebel had an intense zeal for Baal worship; therefore, after Ahab married Jezebel, he readily accepted Baal worship and reared up an altar for Baal (16:32). All who worshiped Jehovah were fiercely persecuted (18:5; 19:14).

But the Lord always has His faithful few who dare to proclaim His Word, regardless of the circumstances or the consequences. Elijah was one of these. He must have felt that his efforts to restore true worship of Jehovah were in vain and his influence worthless. He, too, felt the effects of the drought which he had foretold. God had said the ravens would feed him there as he hid by the brook Cherith (17:4).

Elijah depended on water from the brook for daily refreshment, but the brook gradually dried up. The prophet was confident that where God guides, He provides. The Lord who once said: I have commanded the ravens to feed thee, afterwards said: I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee (17:4-9). The grace of God is always sufficient when the hour of need arises. As we follow His leading, He will meet our every need there — not just anywhere.

God often allows us to face unusual and difficult situations in order to remind us of our absolute dependence on Him.

Through difficulties, we discover whether our confidence is in the Lord or in favorable circumstances. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias (Elijah) was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit (James 5:16-18).

Thought for Today:

God always provides what is necessary to meet our needs.
Christ Portrayed:

By Elijah, whom God used to provide flour and oil for the needy widow at Zarephath (I Kin. 17:13-16). Christ our Provider supplies all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).
Word Studies:

17:16 wasted not, was not used up; 18:4 cut off, murdered; 18:19 eat at Jezebel's table, are provided for by Jezebel; 18:21 halt, waver, undecided.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Sara Higdon • Government Officials: Rep. Tom Jeffrey Cole (OK) and Assoc. Justice Elena Kagan • Country: Cambodia (12 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Khmer and French • Confused and unsettled at this time • 88% Buddhist; 3% animism and spirit worship; 2% Muslim; .6% Roman Catholic/Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Pray that you will sanctify the Lord God in your heart (I Pet. 3:15).
Optional Reading: Romans 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk