Your beautiful county

Started by Rudy Taylor, February 11, 2008, 09:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Taylor

Yesterday (Sunday) I had appointments to take pictures of conservation winners for the upcoming annual meeting
of the Elk County Resource Conservation District. I love doing this yearly assignment because it makes drive to places
I normally would never see.

I had never been west of Howard on Limestone Road.  Wow.

I took pictures of Don and Bill Perkins, both of whom will receive conservation awards this year.  What beautiful country! The Perkins family certainly has staked its claim that part of the country.

Bill told me the local joke: There are only two things west of Howard --- Perkins and Johnson Grass.  And you can spray for Johnson Grass.

I must agree --- there surely are lots of Perkins (the correct word is Perkinses but it looks so wrong) in Elk County. What would you do without them?

Coming back into Howard I got a view from the north of Bellars' farm, as viewed across the huge pond to their north.  That's quite a sight, you know?

I then drove to Oak Valley where I took a picture of Russ and Deana Jones who also will receive conservation awards.

I wasn't quite prepared for the view I observed from the front porch of their hilltop home. It's nothing less than gorgeous. And their spacious new home is lovely.

So often, we drive across country and never give a thought to what lurks behind a hill or a few miles across a pasture. It is only when you have reason to turn onto a country road that you see the real Elk County.

You natives are probably accustomed to it. But for me, I get new thrills every time I travel off-road whether in Elk, Chautauqua, Cowley, Sedgwick, Greenwood, Montgomery or Labette counties. They all have their own beauty, all so very unique in the way their landscapes spread out under God's great skies.

That's why I enjoy so much being a country newspaper editor in Kansas.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Ole Granny

Thank you, Rudy.  Now I'm homesick.   :'( :'( :'(
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Lookatmeknow!!

Hey Rudy, I got a beautiful picture of Perkin's Water shed when all the flooding was happening in Elk County.  I entered it in the Fair last year.  It looked like Elk County had its first water fall.  It was BEAUTIFUL!!  I have had the privilage to live beside Bill and Susie for about 12 years, until last year.  They are wonderful people, just like their land.  I miss living right beside them, but we now only live about a mile from them.  You are right, it is such beautiful country around here.  I would not trade it for the world.  God has truly blessed the country sight around here.  Did you go up on Eagle head?  I just love that sight, too.  If you ever get bored, just call someone and we will take you for a tour of the country around here more.  There is lots to see!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Wilma

Rudy, that's what we have been telling you.  Don't you believe anything you hear?

Teresa

Yea Rudy, don't you believe anything we tell you?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Roma Jean Turner

Now Rudy, that was what I was trying to say in that e-mail I sent you with the picture of the Sedan flag.  I was so struck by the beauty of that big flag blowing in that incredible wind that day, as it flew over that small town main street.  I figured that the people of Sedan, see it every day and might be surprised to know that some stranger from Missouri, got so much out of their flag that day. 

We are so fortunate to be surrounded by so much beauty, when we are awake and engaged enough to see it.  I love Einstein's quote  " you can live as if nothing is a miracle, or you can live as if everything is a miracle."  (Okay, for those of you who have to check it out.....the wording may not be exact, but the point is there).

flo

;D ;D ;D - Roma, loved that last remark
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

sixdogsmom

Each time we come to Sedan I marvel over that beautiful flag! It really stirs someting inside of me, it is just the epitome of American life! God Bless America!
Edie

flo

don't go Sedan's direction very often but in my mind I think you may be referring to a very large American Flag.  Fredonia has one at the top of South Mound that you can see for miles.  Very emotionally inspiring.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

greatguns

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk