Author Topic: Newbie with some CAS vs Mounted Shooting questions  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Horseman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie with some CAS vs Mounted Shooting questions
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:03 AM »
     Howdy all!

I have not yet been to my first CAS event but Im chomping at the bit to get out to one as soon as work permits.  Im trying to put together a firearms kit on a very slim budget at the moment.  I know that, for the most part, firearm selection comes down to personal preference but I was curious if the desire to participate in mounted shooting should make an impact on my choices. 

Im thinking that I will go with the Taurus Gauchos for pistols as they seem like they give very good bang for buck.  I prefer the blued/casehardened finish but I wasnt sure how difficult cleaning was from the black powder blanks and whether stainless might be a better choice. 

Any advice you experienced types can give to this tenderfoot would be appreciated

Thanks!

Kris

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Newbie with some CAS vs Mounted Shooting questions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
One thing as you mostly know, you are limited to 45 LC in mounted ( unless something has changed since I last competed in Mounted in 01 )
( also retired from active Mounted Cav. Reenacting ) I still ride and do Cracker Cowboy and Creek War events one or twice a year.
I used Rugers 7 1/2 " SS ( same guns I used for CAS )
I believe then and now the 5 1/2" is handier on horseback, but the 7 1/2" were my reach out a get-um balloon buster.
If 45 LC suits you as a main match round ( it's my favorite ) your good to go for both Mounted and CAS.
I think the Taurus is offered Nickel not sure about SS.
 If you do some looking you will find some 45 LC Rugers at attractive prices under the cost of new Taurus.
As you said SS is easy to clean with the BP blanks and will serve you well.
If you clean your guns after use (rather than wait days on end ) that should not detour you from the Blue and Case color you like.

Now days, I'm more into style, always was into authenticity, so the Rugers are gone in favor of Opentops.

hope that helps
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com