Author Topic: 1858 5 "and 1/2 barrel question  (Read 8722 times)

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1858 5 "and 1/2 barrel question
« on: June 13, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »
I`ve been looking at the 1858 remmie in Cabelas with the 5 and 1/2 inch barrel ... i called Cabelas and asked who made these ... they tell me Pietta .. the problem i have is if Pietta makes it why aren`t there any parts out there for them .. vti and dixie don`t list them ... i would like to buy a couple of barrels and loading rammers so i can make some of my Piettas this lengh ..... anyone have any knowlage of these ..???
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: 1858 5 "and 1/2 barrel question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:39:37 PM »
You might want to call VTI direct and ask them. I've found they often have stuff that isn't listed online. Worse case scenario, lop them off at 6" and shorten your loading levers. They balance nicely that way. Here's a pic of my 6"er.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
I just had mine lopped to 6" 3/4.  Don't have to reset the rammer, and they balance well.  There is a picture of one done just like it in MacDowell's book on conversion pistols.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:39:40 AM »

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:53:20 AM »
That is kinda strange, VTI lists the Uberti  1858 Rem 5 1/2" loading levers and barrels . But not the Pietta. I'd give them a call, they may just not have them listed yet.
https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab2240000Equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=76&cat=Uberti+1858+New+Army%2C+1858+New+Navy+%2E44cal+Army%2C+%2E36cal+Navy

Guess what? I just took the standard loading lever off my 1858 Uberti and put it on my 1858 Pietta and  the Pietta lever on the Uberti. They fit and work just fine. So the Uberti  5 1/2" levers  should work ok on the Piettas also.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:58:22 AM »
I`ll give VTI a call today ..something strange about this ...i`ve done the cutting and refitting the front sight thing before .. but new barrels are uasually only 55 bucks or so ... and i wouldn`t do the work again for that price . it would be nice to just order a barrel and rammer and not have to alter the 8 inch barrel .

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
... and i wouldn`t do the work again for that price.
Yeah, no sense saving a few dollars if your time works out to 23 cents an hour to do it. I like your thinking, there. I did mine before there were any 5 1/2" ones available.

Offline sundance44`s

• Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »
I finally got an answer back from VTI on the 5 and 1/2 inch Pietta 44 remmie barrels and loading rams .. they said the parts wern`t listed anywhere yet but they do have them in stock ... the barrel is 60 bucks and the rammer is 30 ... thats not too bad ... we can buy these and still have the 8inch barrel and rammer in reserve .. this makes me a happy camper i do like my Piettas ..

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 05:42:49 PM »
I think I posted before the Uberti loading lever and ram fit the Piettas.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 08:08:44 AM »
If you cut your own barrel down,  You can use the lever from the .36 Remington Navy.  It is about 1 1/2" shorter than the standard .44 Army.  Not as short as a factory 5 1/2" model,  but still pretty short and WAY cheaper.

Here's a pic for comparison.

FWIW,
John

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 01:14:35 PM »
This is an interesting idea that I have not heard of before (newbie that I am). 

Is switching out the barrels and rammers something someone with a medium amount of skill can do correctly or is it a gunsmith task?

Is there any noticable loss of accuracy with the shorter barrels?

How much does it change the ballance of the weapon?

Thanks!
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 11:36:19 PM »
Hi, Al. The balance changed slightly on mine with the shorter barrel, niether better nor worse, just a little different. The accuracy stayed the same. Since there are shorter ones available, just buy one. The process of shortening the barrel is a little more than just chopping it off. You have to shorten the loading lever, cut new dovetails for the sight and loading lever latch and cut a new crown into the muzzle. Much easier to get one already done.

Offline sundance44`s

• Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 08:13:24 AM »
I ended up buying a Uberti 5 1/2 in remmie off gunbroker ..so i didn`t do the change over myself , i do like the feel and the way it groups .. it shoots straighter than me ..lol  but .. i`ve had the barrel off of one of my Pietta remmies to do the shorting and add a dovetail front sight .. it wasn`t hard , ya just have to be careful not to scratch up the barrel or frame .. i used thin leather wrap and my bench vise ..also leather wraped the barrel and turned it with a huge cresent wrench lots of tork ..with a smaller wrench ya might get some slipping before it moves .I`ve still got the 3 with 7 1/2 inch barrels so i might be doing the store bought swap yet ... also i have only unscrewed the barrel on a Pietta remmie .. it might be harder or different story on a Euro Arms or Uberti .. i don`t know .i`ve heard Uberti uses so sort of glue on the barrel threads ..My Pietta didn`t the treads were clean .

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 01:05:04 PM »
Well, I went ahead and got the 5 1/2 barrels (2) from VTI along with the loading levers.  I had a gunsmnith install since there were tolerances and such involved...

I must say I am pretty happy with them...the balance is a lot better and I don't feel like I'm pulling the butt into my armpit to unholster on the strong side.  I haven't shot them too much yet but the initial shots are just about where the longer barrel placed them....Plus I get to make new holsters!!!

I'll up load some pics if anybodys interested....
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline Cincinnati Slim

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 02:30:20 PM »
Howdy Y'all,

I got me one of them five and a half inch Remmies from Cabela's a couple a months ago.

Durn good shooter and the wood grips were right purdy. :)

Think it was less than a pair of "C" notes.

If y'all likes to tinker that's fine, For that price I'd just order another pistol ! ;D

Cheers,

Cincinnati Slim

Offline sundance44`s

• Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »
It`s just a idea for those that have many of the 8 inch barrel models and want to try a 5 and 1/2 incher .. all needed is a barrel and loading lever about 150.00 bucks worth of parts from VTI and ya get to keep the old 8 inch barrel and loading lever .. and not a hard task makeing the change eaither . I know myself i ended up with 6.. 44cal remmies all with the longer barrels. I guess i never did figure when enough is enough ..lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com