Author Topic: I reshaped my hat.  (Read 11288 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: I reshaped my hat.
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 10:33:33 PM »
Del, It's got a 6" er. think it's a Resistol off the top of my head( no pun intended). Paid close to $90 for it when a local WW shop went out of business. Original tag had $199 on it, but they were always high on their prices! :o It's black...................Buck 8) :o ;D

That's pretty tall for an open crown and plenty of hat to make a Tom Mix/Quigley/Gus type.
Adios,

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 04:21:11 AM »
Uncle Eph  I know it's just a picture, but your avitar is not the end of a Sharps I wish to be seeing.
:o ;)

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 07:30:18 AM »
I have a short article that was printed a while back in the Western Canadian Frontier Express and submitted by The Factor SASS #15082. He mentions shaping the crown by inverting the hat over a toilet and filling it with water and letting it drain overnight then shaping it and letting it dry. He mentions warning your wif first though. I also have a book called "Uniforms of the Mounted Police" that mentions the same proceedure for shaping their unblocked Stetsons. (no mention of the toilet though) .

I've shaped three hats this way so far and the method works great. I use the kitchen sink though and a home made bracket to hold the hat as I could never see blocking the toilet access for that long. The brims are shaped using steam.  I find if you have to get rid of the crown shape from one of the "Rodeo" hats this method works the best for me.

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:15:59 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 08:20:04 AM »
I use a 5 gallon bucket and a stiff piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it big enough fer the crown.  I then pour warm water through it, wet the brim down with a mister.  I place another piece of cardboard on top, a piece of plywood. (The card board keeps any glue or such from the plywood off)

I then put a few lead ingots on top of that and let it sit for a while, like at least over night.

Let me check when I get to work, I have the specs on the Quigby hat, I know it's bigger than that, I had a real Quigby hat that was even my size on my head one time. (Rand Hat)  Guess what dear friends, it looked awful on me, was just not right, now the Crossfire Trails hat looked good. :D

Most of the hats I sell are 4X6 all the open flats I sell are.  One thing a hand creased hat is that hand creased and has that look.  A machine creased hat looks mass produced, just don't have that proper look. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 01:24:56 PM »
Stoneypete, that is a rolling block and not a Sharps and just so I would not offend you I changed it to a picture of Gertie the dawg, trust me, that is something that you really don't want to see the business end of. ::)
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 02:45:29 PM »
Del, I'm gonna get that one out and do some checking. sometimes my eyebaling isn't real accurate, just ask my sister-in-law after I started putting her CB antenna up........Buck 8) :o ;D ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004, 02:55:28 PM »
I'm Baaacckk! Del, the hat has a 4" brim and if I measured corrctly, the crown seems to be 5 1/2" or so. Resitol Rough Stock, i've got a nice horse hair band on it at this time. Inside says self-conforming band and lists itself as 5x beaver. could they be telling a fib? :o seems to me, a 5X beaver would be a heck of a lot more than what they had it listed for..............Buck 8) ::) :o ??? ???

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 03:34:22 PM »
I'll do some checkin' when I get ta work.  There is no standard on the XXX's ones might be good another not so good.  I've got the specks on the Quigley at work, I do know it is bigger both ways.  But that don't mean ya can't shape yer's the same.  If ya don't look like Tom S. a smaller might be better.  I'll check on stuff though, I'll see what I can find out bout a R. RS.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2004, 03:39:06 PM »
I know Denny over at Tonto Rim lists a mini Quigley, so the dimentions might be okay. I'm only 5'7" outa my boots, so Selleck-like I ain't. Just like the looks of it.............Buck 8) ::) ::) ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2004, 05:50:31 PM »
The original Quigley hat from the movie is a 4 1/2 brim with a 6 1/2 inch crown.  With Sellack being about 6 ft 5 inches tall the hat you got is gonna most likey be about right.  The original was made by Rand Custom Hats in Billings MT and is around $440.  www.randhats.com
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2004, 04:50:51 AM »
Stoneypete, that is a rolling block and not a Sharps and just so I would not offend you I changed it to a picture of Gertie the dawg, trust me, that is something that you really don't want to see the business end of. ::)
You did see the  ;) right?  I wuz joking about being offended.  Truth be told I thought it was  8) 

At one time I had a Highwall and a Sharps.  Both were in 45-70.  I wanted to add a rolling block to the collection but interests changed.  I traded the Highwall for my first '73.  Then the Sharps went to pay some bills. :'(

Just wanted to make sure we understood eachother.  Sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted.  You can put the Rollingblock back or keep Gertie.  Dogs are  8) too.

Stoney (what sometimes wishes he still had his Highwall or his Sharps) Pete

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com