Author Topic: Newbrassky  (Read 1824370 times)

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Newbrassky
« Reply #740 on: December 19, 2004, 06:28:35 AM »
(Dagnabbit, I should've saved some of my blackberries instead of using them all up in jam and jelly! Gonna post a recipe for blackberry brandy, Del? Please?)

As though he could read minds, Duke gives the cook an odd look and a small growl.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #741 on: December 19, 2004, 03:17:33 PM »
Russ T. finally rides into his brother’s spread in Wisconsin.  Took longer than normal as his horse had developed a bit of a “sluggish”  ::) gait while passin’ through Nebrassky .  Usin’ brother’s telegraph to send out word to the OK Chorale what got misplaced when his horse slowed down.  He’s still wonderin’ about the strong aroma of spoiled cabbage he noticed on the way.  It’s way too late for the Franksville Kraut Festival.  :o :)
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: December 19, 2004, 06:20:17 PM »
With an errant smile and a small flip of her wand, the Frumpy Fairy Godmother turns Russ T.'s slug back into a horse, but now it carries the perpetual scent of cabbage gas.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Advertising

« Reply #743 on: Today at 03:46:41 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #743 on: December 19, 2004, 07:41:38 PM »
Knowin' that Slim will look over the whole thread before ridin' in ta camp, Delmonico feels better, cause Slim will understand that the feedin' him the castor oil coleslaw was for the good of the ranch. ;D ;)  Why just that act will cause Santa to bring at least a half ton of coal. :)

Also he knows after readin ' this, why Delmonico is headin' to the dugout with more cabbage, some green onions and a giant raddish from the root cellar. ??? ??? :o :-\ ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: December 19, 2004, 08:11:39 PM »
Later by lantern light, Delmonico is seen buryin' some glass jars out near the dugout and markin' the spot carefully.   Duke watches carefully, not really knowin' why Delmonico is buryin' jars of cabbage near the house. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #745 on: December 20, 2004, 01:20:35 AM »
Later by lantern light, Delmonico is seen buryin' some glass jars out near the dugout and markin' the spot carefully.   Duke watches carefully, not really knowin' why Delmonico is buryin' jars of cabbage near the house. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D

Kimchee????    :P :P ??? ??? :D :D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: December 20, 2004, 09:57:39 AM »
Good guess Russ T.  In his travels Delmonico met a Celestial who had spent time in the land of Chosin.  This fella had brought the makin' of kimchee with him when he came searchin' fer gold in the land of Gum Sum.  The fella had not found much gold in the ground, but had found plenty by openin' a (you guessed it) an "all you can eat Chinese buffet." 

Since our valley already smelled like cabbage, I decided it was a good time to make it.

Now where is that dern Slim with our walnuts and oranges.  I need to start those cookies soon.  (Am really goin' upstairs to clean a bit and will bring the recipe down. ;D)   I see he's logged in and postin' elsewhere, hope the kinchee fumes ain't keepin' him away. :P :P ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #747 on: December 20, 2004, 11:38:36 AM »
Slim rides into camp. "I headed out from Wiscoooooooooooonsin, got into Iaway and this dadburned easterly blew me through the Dakota territory into Wyomin'. So, I had ta head back east again." He climbs outta the saddle and takes the saddlebags offa his horse. "Del, here are the oranges, English walnuts, 2 dozen brown eggs  ;D , and a couple pounds of Bratwurst. Now, ya can make something GOOD with that cabbage instead of that kimchee."  :D
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: December 20, 2004, 11:39:34 AM »
Russ T. finally rides into his brother’s spread in Wisconsin.  Took longer than normal as his horse had developed a bit of a “sluggish”  ::) gait while passin’ through Nebrassky .  Usin’ brother’s telegraph to send out word to the OK Chorale what got misplaced when his horse slowed down.  He’s still wonderin’ about the strong aroma of spoiled cabbage he noticed on the way.  It’s way too late for the Franksville Kraut Festival.  :o :)
Did ya say where your brother's spread is?
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: December 20, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother poofs back in with a sprinkling of sawdust when she sees those eggs.

I vote for sauerkraut. Heck, kimchee smells so bad, Duke won't even dig it up! Got a recipe for kraut and that soft red cabbage, Delmonico?

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #750 on: December 20, 2004, 11:54:38 AM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother poofs back in with a sprinkling of sawdust when she sees those eggs.

I vote for sauerkraut. Heck, kimchee smells so bad, Duke won't even dig it up! Got a recipe for kraut and that soft red cabbage, Delmonico?

AnnieLee
;D

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #751 on: December 20, 2004, 12:11:36 PM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother is about ready to mug Slim to get some of those eggs.

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #752 on: December 20, 2004, 12:16:35 PM »
I liiiiiike kimchee, so thats good that Duke won't dig it up cause I liiiike it, thats why I make it at home from time to time.  I make good kimchee. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ;)

Ok, the saurkraut I'm still workin' on, the last try 'bout caused me to have to find another place to live.  Fact is till I got it outside, I was ready to move and burn down the house. :-\ :-\ :P ;)

Ok now I'll go up and get the recipe when I'm gettin' things ready to tie the quilt. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #753 on: December 20, 2004, 12:19:24 PM »
"FFG, do ya want some o' these eggs?'

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #754 on: December 20, 2004, 12:28:37 PM »
Leave me 4 eggs and I'll make a double batch of cookies, I know they take two fer batch. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #755 on: December 20, 2004, 01:03:25 PM »

The Frumpy Fairy Godmother grins. "Please? And I know there is this really strange woman sitting in a cube in some even stranger place called Washington DC who would like the eggs even more than me, but doesn't know how you could get them too her safely."

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #756 on: December 20, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

The Frumpy Fairy Godmother grins. "Please? And I know there is this really strange woman sitting in a cube in some even stranger place called Washington DC who would like the eggs even more than me, but doesn't know how you could get them too her safely."
"Here ya go. Just save 4 for the cookies."

You should be able to find some around in backwoods Virginny.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #757 on: December 20, 2004, 02:16:01 PM »
Ok I got it down here, I guess I might have to make these again, it's been a couple of years.

Orange Delight Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups flour
3/4 cup of English walnut meats finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream the shortening and brown sugar.  Beat the eggs, vanilla, orange peel, baking soda and sour milk creamed shortening.   Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and the nutmeats, stir into the mixture.  Make a drop cookie and bake in a 350 degree oven till done. (10 to 12 minutes)  While hot spread with the topping mixture.

Topping
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup white sugar

This will make a grainy topping.

More historically correct will be to use half lard and half butter.  My guess (educated?) it that this recipe evolved in the time just after the Civil War from a basic cookie recipe, most likely with blackwalnuts.  The added orange and the English walnuts adds to my theroy that it was developed for a Christmas treat when these became availible.  My grandmother never made it with black walnuts even though she raised them in the orchard. 

The original cookie most likely used baking soda or even pearlash, depending on the time period it was used.  The extra baking powder raises it even more, making it cake like.

My grandmother got this from her grandmother, she may have been the originator of it.  My grandmother passed on in 1991 and was born in 1904, her grandmother should have been about the right age to have originated it, becuse the oranges would have been hard to get in the US till about the time of the Civil War.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #758 on: December 20, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »
FFG, it might be too late to send Slim on a trip, but do you 'spose you could poof up some anise seed.  I got a hankerin' now to make Grandma's soft anise cookies and maybe some of the more tradional hard anise cookies with the German name that I'll have too look up.

(Whisper on, I really made a mess with the last recipe postin', but Slim saved me.  Does anyone notice that the FFG complained about the post a fore it's posted.  Must be her fault this time. ;))
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #759 on: December 20, 2004, 03:13:33 PM »
FFG, it might be too late to send Slim on a trip, but do you 'spose you could poof up some anise seed.  I got a hankerin' now to make Grandma's soft anise cookies and maybe some of the more tradional hard anise cookies with the German name that I'll have too look up.

(Whisper on, I really made a mess with the last recipe postin', but Slim saved me.  Does anyone notice that the FFG complained about the post a fore it's posted.  Must be her fault this time. ;))
I noticed.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com