Author Topic: front sight height for a rifle  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
front sight height for a rifle
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:14:03 PM »
Finally got around to knocking out the original front sight on my '65 rifle and I whittled a strip of aluminum to size.  All I need is an idea of just how high to make it.  With the old blade(.245" high) it shot about 6 inches high at 50 yards when I could see the thing.  I'd like to have it about on at 100 yards.  The strip is long enough to make at least 5 more blades so i can experiment but I thought someone might have an idea for a starting point.  Thanks! Glenn

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: front sight height for a rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »
the replacement front sight on my repro measures .52 from the top of the barrel to the top of the blade. don't be afraid to go ahead and make it taller. you can always file it back down if it shoots too low. gives you some wriggle room. if this is an original spencer you will decrease its value considerably by replacing or modifying sights or anything else. original spencer carbines are starting to hit $3k on the right coast. if it is a repro thensight replacement or modification will be necessary. good luck, geo.

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:04:49 PM »
That'll give me some place to start.  The blade sits right down on the barrel so your blade is over 2X mine.  Fear not, I have only made reversible changes and have all the original parts.  It's just so much fun to shoot!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:38:33 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com