Author Topic: Burnishing cast iron  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Burnishing cast iron
« on: May 20, 2006, 01:05:06 PM »
Trolling the web and came across an old cookbook site.  (Thought I saved it to my Favorites but can't get it to come up now, so I can't even tell you where it was.) It had a section on cookware preparation and said before you season any new cookware you need to burnish it inside and out to help "seal the iron."

What's that?

I thought burnishing was simply polishing it.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Burnishing cast iron
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 01:17:17 PM »
Thats what it is and I think the old stuff that came that way seals the pores and don't season as well.  I have old pieces that are polished/burnished and I don't like the way they season as well as the new natural finish stuff.

In metal working burnish is a little less than a true polish.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »
Thenkyew
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:54:29 PM »

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »
It'd probably be one he-- of a job, if my interpretation of "burnishing" is correct - burnishing is polishing, but rather than removing a small amount of metal, and making smaller and smaller scratches in the surface, it is done by using a harder metal to rub the surface smooth, kind of like making a smooth finish on concrete - you dont remove any material, just rearrange the surface of it to get it slicker.  Any of you "engineers" out there want to weigh in on this?  There are surely tools for the process; I have several small tools that are made for burnishing contacts in electrical devices, and they are just a thin flexible piece of steel with a matte finish on the surface.  I think that a small clean steel disc without any sort of coating on it, used in a Dremel Tool would do the job on cast iron cookware pretty well.  Probably, an old steel spoon, rubbed vigorously for a while - quite a while - all over the surface, would work, too.   ??? ??? :)

El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 01:46:13 PM »
Yeah, I think that is a more correct term and description, either way, burnishing or polishing to me seems to fill the poors and it don't season quite as well, but also modern "Cast Iron" isn't just the old time 4-5% carbon pig iron of old, it has some other alloys in it at least in some cases.  Lodge uses I believe 25% scrap from a machine shop.

What ever it is, they cast better and thinner that the true 150 year old stuff.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »
n my business we burnish stainless steel. I agree with Del. I have a very old flat griddle at is wonderful and a 30+ plus years old 12" dutch. The newer dutch is much different than the griddle. i don't know why you would want to burnish a dutchoven. When you burnish metal you are rearranging the surface. Microscopically there is a sharp spike like surface on the  metal. The burnishing bends over the points and in effect smoothes the surface. i think the curing/seasoning  process in dutch oven cooking fills in all the areas between the metal spikes, this i'm sure is part of the no stick benifit of the seasoned surface we  all love and revear.

Oscar,   
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com