Author Topic: Mid range vs long range tang sight  (Read 10698 times)

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mid range vs long range tang sight
« on: May 19, 2006, 01:38:14 PM »
Is there a reason other than maybe cost, to buy a mid range sight rather than a long range sight?   ???  My thought is I may want to shoot a longer distance than the mid range sight would allow so get the long range.  Is there any down side to getting the long range when most of my shooting would be satisfied with mid range sight?

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Mid range vs long range tang sight
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:59:29 PM »
I don't see any downside to getting the long range sight. Other pards may have a different opinion though.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:16:41 PM »
The higher taller sight has more of a chance to get damaged, I think the mid-range ones are good to about 500, what do you consider "Long Range"
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:14:20 PM »

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 05:49:38 PM »
Delmonico, it would be on a Browning Hi Wall in 38-55.  Long distance would be maybe 600 yds.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 06:10:37 PM »
On my 45-70 Remington Rolling Block, I shoot out to 600 yards with a mid-range tang sight.  There is still a bit of adjustment left and it may get out to 650-700 yards but at this time I just don't know what the max range would be.

I haven't had the need yet, but I plan on buying a long-range staff that will fit on the same base if I have the opportunity to shoot at ranges greater than 600 yards.

Delmonico is right as to the damage factor as I have seen rifles with a long-range sight where the sight has been damaged.  The mid-range sight just doesn't seem to be as fragile and even looks more robust with it's stockier configuration.

If I were you, I would start out with a mid-range sight and get a long-range staff at a later time if the need arises.  Check with the sight manufacturer that you choose to be sure that they will sell just a staff at a later time.

Hope that this helps and just doesn't cloud the water.

HHW

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »
That 38-55 ain't gonna be much beyond that any way, the bullet is to light and not enough case capacity for 300 grains bullets.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 07:08:54 AM »
I had a mid range on my 45/90 Shiloh Sharps (34inch barrel) and the absolute max is 800 yds. I was fortunate enough to win a Hoke long range sight at the Quigley match last year so I'm anxious to try it out. It's tall but really looks sturdy.

NTJ

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »
I have a long range site on my .45-70 rolling block or atleast I think I do.  it works good for a variety of different distances I've used it from 100 out to 500 yards and still had plenty of adjustment(must be a long range).  Will let ya know in July how it did on the longer distances
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »
I have a long range on my 45-70 highwall and I wish I had gotten a mid-range.  The long range sticks up too high and hits my hat every time I shoot, knocking the sight forward and I don't use but maybe 1/3rd of it anyway.  Farthest range I have been able to shoot is 300yrds.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »
Both my 45-70's (one RB w/34" bbl and one Shiloh Sharps w/30" bbl) have long range tang sights. I have shot 1000 yds with the 34" RB and had plenty of sight left to probably go to 1300 yds and maybe a bit farther. The Sharps has been shot at nothing beyond 600 yds and has plenty of sight left to go farther. With your 38-55 and saying you are not probably going to shoot beyond 600 yds, the mid range would be plenty. But, IMHO, it's better to have more sight and not need it than to need more sight and not have it available.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
But, IMHO, it's better to have more sight and not need it than to need more sight and not have it available.

Ditto.

Nine Toe Jim, I have a Hoke LR sight & love it. There is none better. You're a lucky dude for winning one, mine cost $435.00!!!!!  :'(

Offline Brazos_Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 02:45:54 AM »
How far you can shoot with a mid-range sight depends on how low the tang is with respect to the bore line. A highwall should go to 1000 yds with a mid range, but a '74 Sharps probably won't make but maybe 800 yds. The long range Soule types usually also have move windage adjustment than the mid-range, but if it's blowing hard enough to need a Baldwin long range, even at 1000 yds, I'll probably be inside nursing a cool one.

I have a Baldwin long range I bought when I got my first BPCR, a C.Sharps Highwall. I knew I'd never need it for that rifle, but would if I ever bought a Sharps and shot long range with it. I now have a Pedersoli '74 Sharps and 2 bases for the Baldwin Soule so I can use it on both rifles.

I just wish I had a thumb screw for this sight, like MVA offers, so I could swap it without tools. Does anyone know if MVA's thumb screw will fit a Baldwin sight? Does Buffalo Arms sell them? Can anyone supply me with phone numbers for MVA and Buffalo Arms?

I'm working in Saudi Arabia now and cannot access web sites that mention guns or weapons on their front page. So I can't access MVA or Buffalo arms or Pedersoli or Cimarron. I could access Steve Baldwin's site last time I checked, so luckily he's still low tech internet wise. I've got an internet phone that I can call the US on from here.

Brazos Jack,
AKA Lost in Arabia

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »
Buffalo Arms # is  1-208-263-6953 between 8 am and 4:30 pm Pacific time.

Don't know MVA's number
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline rustyrelx

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »
 :) To be technical back in the days when there were Short Range, Mid Range ,and Long Range there were 3 different lengths of staff depending on which rifle you bought. There were identified calibers for each.  Barrel length does play a small part into this. The 38-55 would be considered a mid range caliber.
Short Range Rifles---up to 200 yards
Mid Range Rifles---200 to 800 yards
Long Range Rifles---800--1300 yards.

Of an interesting side note Billy Dixons shot at Adobe Walls was a tad over 1500 yards.
For your consideration                  Don      rustyrelx
SFC USA ret-2004
76Y,45B,45K,63H
GAF 716

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
Depending on the brand of the rifle, it might not stay a 38-55 and/or you might get rid of the 38-55
buy a bigger caliber in the same brand gun then you might want to consider the long range sight so
that you only have to buy it once. Sort of like buying the Chinese breaker bar from Big and Small lots
and bending it and having to buy another, when you could have bought a good American made one
that ended up costing the same as the 2 cheaper ones.

If you have absolutely no intention of shooting anything but that 38-55, a long range sight will be a
waste. 38-55's are marginal on the rams in NRA sanctioned BPCR shoots.

dc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com