Author Topic: (Taylor) magazine tube won't stay latched  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
(Taylor) magazine tube won't stay latched
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:29:45 PM »
Got a problem with a new-to-me (Taylor) 56-50 Spencer. The magazine tube is not engaging in the magazine base catch sufficieintly to keep it latched in. When the mag tube is empty it ~barely stays engaged. When cartridges are placed in the rearward spring pressure pushes the tube out every time.

I can see no burrs or anything like that causing problems. It think it's a matter of alignment between the mag tube and the base catch.

Suggestions? Is there a trick to fixing this?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: (Taylor) magazine tube won't stay latched
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:32:22 PM »
This has got to be a conspiracy between Matt and Texas Highlander.  Tex couldn't get his to come out, and Matt can't get his to stay in  ::) ::) ::)

Matt, did you read the "virgin" post by Texas Highlander?  Does any of that descriptive info help you in any way?  Can you explain better what's going on with your magazine?

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:10:58 PM »
Yes, I read that thread.

Here's the best way I can describe my problem. Facing the buttplate at the 6 O'clock position of the magazine tube opening is the "magazine base catch". On the 6 O'clock side of the magazine tube is a slot. When the magazine tube is turned counter-clockwise into the upright position the base catch is suppose to engage this slot to secure it.

This arrangement on mine doesn't engage enough to hold the magazine tube into position. I don't care how much you press or dick with it, the catch doesn't get deep enough into the slot to hold the magazine tube. With cartridges in place it's worse (because of the spring tension).

The spring loaded detent ball (at 12 O'clock) is fine. It has good tension and is free to move.

This is a nearly new Taylor rifle. I'm going to take the buttplate off and see if there is any upward adjustment (?) of the magazine base catch. All I need is a couple hundreths.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:46:45 PM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »
Matt: Sent a PM. I will ask the Marshall about this.
Bill

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »
Matt,

The magazine base catch is held in place by the magazine base catch screw, secured from the inside of the butt plate.  On my rifle there is a little bit of verticle movement when the screw is loosened.

Maybe your screw is loose (nothing personal here intended).  If so, move the catch so that it is in the full upward position and retighten the screw.

If the catch hasn't moved down, try enlarging the hole into a slot so that the catch can move further upward to engage the slot in the magazine tube follower.

Note that there is a flat machined on the back of the magazine tube so that when it is rotated 90 degrees to remove it, this flat will clear the the catch.  If you move the catch up too far you may have to remove some from this flat area.

Give these suggestions a try and if there is still a problem send me a PM and we can go from there.

HHW

Offline Pinkerton Agent

• Pinkerton Agent
  • Active citizen
  • "We Never Sleep"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:33:57 PM »
GOOD NEWS! Took the buttplate off and discovered the problem. Luigi must have been not paying attention that day as the magazine base catch was installed upside-down. There is a flat end and a rounded end. The flat side was installed at 12 o'clock and that just wasn't getting enough engagement. I simply reversed it to the rounded end up and now the mag tube locks up very securely! I put seven rounds in the tube and it held just fine.

Problem solved.

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:18:16 PM »
Matt,

Good news.

Sometimes the "VINO" gets spilled all over the assembly instructions.  Then it's "One piece, one screw, oh well, it went together, it must be right". 

Glad the problem is solved.

If I can help with any other questions that you might have just send a PM.

HHW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com