Author Topic: Neat Lac Problems  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Neat Lac Problems
« on: May 08, 2006, 05:11:40 PM »
Been using Neat Lac for close to 40 years and all of a sudden here in the last few weeks, the stuff has started to crack and  peel after a few days. Sometimes in only in spots, sometimes it is the whole project, or at least enough to redo the whole thing. I talked to Tandy and they said they had complaints also about yellowing. Anybody else having these problems, or have I changed something I am supposed to be doing and don't realize it? :o

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: Neat Lac Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:20 PM »
I wonder if they changed the formulation to meet environmental considerations or to cut cost? It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer has done that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Luke Short

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:07:42 AM »
you might want to try Fiebing's Deglazer first, then reapply the Neatlac.  from the Tandy/Leather Factory catalog: "Removes grease, waxes, lacquers and top finishes allowing a uniform application of dyes and finishes.  Deglazer won't impair the softness or flexibility of leather."  4 oz stock # 2105-01 quart stock # 2105-03.  it might be that a buildup or other reaction has occurred in certain areas of your leather and this may solve problems.  As with any new product, try it on an unseen area to verify any reactions.  Luke

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:16:03 AM »

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »
Thanks Luke. I always de-glaze beore dyeing. I used the deglazer to remove the peeling Neat-Lac, trouble is it will remove some of your dye as well. I have been using Leather Sheen instead of Neat-Lac and may stay with it awhile.
Will, you may be right, they may have changed the formula for environmental reasons and did not tell anyone.

Offline CQMD

• CQMD
  • Active citizen
    • Rock'n R  custom holsters
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:05:32 AM »
Have you changed leather at all? I had some problems a while back in that i picked up some leather from anouther source. It turns out that it was imported and caused some real problems with dyes and finishes.
Bobby Rose
rocknrholsters.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com