Author Topic: Report from the 2 Gun Regional....  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Report from the 2 Gun Regional....
« on: May 07, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »
Well,

All the shooting is over and Griz and company put on another fun, challanging and ENTERTAINING Event.  This year, 4 of the scenarios involved shooting them with a partner.  It was my extreme pleasure to be partnered with my wife for those four stages.  She just started shooting this spring and is having an absolute ball at the events.  Sure wish I could of snapped a picture of her doing a tactical entry into the saloon with the Mule Eared Shotgun.....That would have been priceless.

It was GREAT seening Quickfire, Lone Gunman, River City John and the rest of the gang down from Iowa and Nebraska.  As always, the talent show was a mix of talent and show.  I think the Lone Gunman stole the show with his magic show.  There were some just stellar poetry readings, notable Jeremy Irons, Quick Fire and River City John.  The rain did put about a 3 hour break in the shooting, but it didn't really dampen any Spirits.  It actually seemed to deepen the feeling of comraderee and fellowship as we all huddled up in cabins around woodstoves.  We were able to finish up yesterday in fine style.  I was however, happy with the fact that my schedule pre-cluded me from camping this year do to the rain.  I did manage to reaggrivate a pull in a groin muscle unloading the truck last night.. >:( :'(  Made cleaning guns a nightmare.....

All in all, this is one shoot you go to for the people and the fun first.  Even this Gamer seemed to take a holiday.  :D
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Report from the 2 Gun Regional....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:08:36 AM »
  My hat's off to the KVC, for a great shoot once again. It may have rain a bit, but I don't think that dampened the spirits that  were there to have a great time. Thanks to Griz and his posse for  a fun weekend.
Kayleen

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »
Patty and I had a good time!!! Good folks and good food! and the course of fire was fun. Unfortunately my wife Patty's hip gave out on her saturday afternoon (It will slip out of the socket often and is quite painful, and she is due for a hip replacement this fall) and we had to go back to our motel room. It was good to see you all and we plan on coming out to the KVC shoot again this year sometime.

Its really funny, all the years I have been a member of SASS my wife had never been to a shoot, never showed any desire to shoot, and after her first NCOWS shoot and seeing all the ladies having such a good time is going to give it a try. Who knows? Patty may be the first female to shoot the Originals class after she has her surgery.

I think even with the rain there was a good turn out and looked like there were at least a dozen or more primitive camps.

Got some good photos of an authentic chuck wagon that was being used to serve meals that I may do a water color painting of for Patty. Real neat effect with the smoke coming from the cook fire rising over the area with all the cooking utensles and three huge coffee pots, all  going at one time.

Hats off to Grizz, Trap and all the KVC members for putting on a very fun shoot... and I'm going again. See you all in Kentucky next month.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:35:36 AM »

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:21 PM »
All,
This was my first trip to the KVC range.  As most have pointed out we didn't see much (any) of the sun, but it sure didn't seem to matter to anyone!  I think a great time was had by all!  It will become an annual event for me for sure, I had a wonderful time!  Great food, great pards and lots of smoke (I think we had 6 black powder shooters on my posse)!  Thanks KVC!!!!
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:47:12 PM »
OCB:

Could you send me copies of any pictures you took, please?  I was too busy to take any, and even Lone Gunman didn't get any taken.

I am glad everybody enjoyed themselves, even with our challenging weather.  And especially glad the two-person team idea worked so well, you can expect to see that again.

The Talent Show went very well.  I particularly enjoyed River City John's rendition of "Jabberwocky."  He did it correctly, spouting that gibberish as though it were serious!  We need to work up some more musical talent, you can plan on seeing (and hearing!) me and the concertina next time.

Grizzle Bear

P.S.  I want to add my kudo's for the TBarJ chuckwagon.  They served good food, hot and on time, despite having to cook in the rain.  I was pleased to pay them a bonus for their work, and sorry I did not mention to everyone that tips would not be out of line.

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »
Grizz,
Patty took about a 100 photos and all of them came out well. Too many to send e-mail. I will try to get into town this week and pick up some DVDs', make you a hard copy and send it to you this weekend. I need your address. Send it to my regular e-mail. bill@surf-ici.com
I will post some tomorrow after I reduce the file (these pictures are like 35 inches wide)...

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 05:53:35 PM »
Thanks, Bill!  Address is in your Shootist.

GB
Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 10:56:53 PM »
Howdy,

I have to agree with the rest folks, it was a real hoot!  When I got home, I noticed that there were the beginning of webs between my toes. ::) ;D ::)  So many great pards.  Thanks for all who came and made it such a great weekend.

See you in Hooten!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »
I can't say enough good things about this event...at least not here, I gotta save something for The Shootist   article  ;)    The only real effect the rain had was to keep the BP fouling soft. I didn't hear a single serious complaint, not even anyone longing for their hot-dog cart (guncart w/ patio umbrella). We were a little slow getting going again after lunch but the shooting stages were all completed in the allotted time. The talent show would have made Ted Mack proud (if you don't know who that is look it up) & the crossword puzzle was a honest challenge for anybody. (BTW, the fourth Earp brother wasn't "Walis"   ;D

Despite the details in the announcement there were still a couple of unexpected twists: the 'sidekick/partner' teamwork required on 4 stages and the posse vs posse post shoot on stage 10.  There were a few for whom this was their first NCOWS and/or KVC event. As we broke camp Sunday morning one of those newcomers told me that they had a really great time, but that they'll know what to expect next time. I replied, "No, you'll never know what to expect at a KVC shoot...that's what make them so much fun."

When I got home, I noticed that there were the beginning of webs between my toes. ::) ;D ::) 

Bob, What kind of webs?  Are you sure those weren't just cob-webs that washed down from your head
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 11:50:08 PM »
Howdy LG,

No cobwebs in my head!  Absolutely nothing up there.  I thought that you would take an entirely different tack!  ;D ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 08:00:24 AM »
I too have to say that this is the premier event of the year.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com