Author Topic: Jest talkin  (Read 12708 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jest talkin
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:13:47 PM »
 I fergit whar I posted th post thet waz deleted cause nobody could understa'd mah palaver so's here it be in plainer anglish:
    I believe that I may have stumbled upon the magic load for my 'old style' Ruger Vaquero .45  As I have said in previous posts I use Hodgdon Tite Group in my reloading behind a 200gr. lead round nose flatpoint bullet. The POI is usually 2 to 2 1/2" above my POA with my regular powder charge. But I think if I reduce the bullet weight to 180 gr. I may draw the POA & POI close enough for Gov't work. I will let you know next week sometime after I've had a chance to try my theory at the range.
 Well Cowgirls 'n boys,sorry to disappoint myself an y'u who are waiting with bated breath to hear of my results at the range. But I didn't make it there yesterday :o  Seems that the 'woman o the house had other plans, claims we had to lay in supplies, ya know food and beverages n such so there went my shootin time. Oh well maybe next weekend :-[
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Jest talkin
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:35:57 AM »
I Did IT! got the POA & POI 'bout 1" closer got to do more testing but I'm happy to be moving in the right direction.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:53:45 AM »
Bought me an economical 'rest' from Mid-way to bring to th shootin range along with lots and lots o bullets so's I can put together lots and lots of cartridges n get in lots and lots of range practice. Aiiiiiiiieeeeee ;D
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:18 PM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »
Hi; 
here I am again on my "personal" thread. As those of you who have read my past posts know, I am a .45 caliber "junkie"
all of the guns I have bought in the past three years have .45 somewhere in their designation. .45 Colt .45 caliber C.V.A. muzzle loaders flint and percussion; and my latest aquisition .45/70 Pedersoli Sharps Target Rifle I like the BOOM and smoke generated by a cartridge loaded with the Holy Black, be it from my OM Ruger Vaquero or the front-stuffers, or the BPCR 45/70.
  There is a mystique about .45 caliber ammunition and firearms that I have yet to fully understand and when the charisma of the Holy black is introduced into the mix; well I deem it far beyond the ken of human understanding to fathom the sense of awe and wonder that is inspired by the joining of gun and BP generated power in so sublime a marriage.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
Hi Cyrille,

I did not want you to think you were the only one around here just talking to yourself.  The .45 thing, I have to agree.  For me, .45 Colt & .45 ACP are my favorites.  I do still have very fond memories of my first though, .41 Rem. Mag. and sweet 16 ga.

My FFL asked me one day to take a look at a .9mm auto and a .357 sixgun, and I said what the heck are those my friend?  The bulk of the things that I own start with a 4.  The ammunition cabinet is full of things that either start with a 4, for me, and 2, for my son.   

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
Hi Doc;
  Truth be told I do have other calibers lurking about a single-shot .22 Remington bolt action rifle that I got as a bd present on my 12th and a Marlin thuty-thuty I bought for deer hunting in the seventies. also a.22 lr Ruger Bisily single six when I bought my first handgun(revolver) I still take those to the range on ocassion just to let'em know I haven't forgotten them entirely.
 It's nice chattin with you. By the way aren't you settled sumwhare in th greater N.O area?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
I am in the area of Dreary Erie, the mistake on the lake, in greater Northwest Pennsylvania.  We have the most beautiful sunsets in the world, after an all day affair with the clouds and grey skies.  I also have several calibers in guns that are in my collection of non-shooters, but for guns that I shoot the caliber is 99% going to begin with a 4.

I see you like Rugers.  I read R.L. Wilson's book about Ruger and found it very facsinating.  I have some Rugers and must say we single action nuts must pay our respects to the man for saving single action sixgunning.  I am most fond of USFA SAA's, but enjoy Rugers as well.  Up north here I have yet to see a Ruger New Vaquero in Blue.  But I did come across a really nice three screw blackhawk in .41 Rem. Mag. that I could not let go.  Absolutely love it!

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 08:15:50 PM »
Well, I have to add that I , on the spur of the moment,  mind you, bought a Springfield armory 1911 in, of course .45 ACP, when I was first bitten by the "gun-bug." I quickly handed it to my son, who's idea it was to introduce me to "pistol" as opposed to revolver shooting. That dang thing fired eight shots quicker than you can say"John Robinson" and scared the bjesus out of me, didn't hit a dang thing! I decided then and there to stick to my six-guns. I like to hit what I'm aiming at, not just spray a lot of lead at the speed of the "fast finger" and not hit anything. With my single action Vaqueros and one "New model Blackhawk" I can do just that, take my time and be certian of and that I will hit my target, unless it moves as I'm squeezing off the shot.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:37:07 AM »
I enjoy shooting .45 autos like my Kimbers and Sig Sauers, but there is definitely something about how good a single action feels in the hand.  That anticipation thing when hearing the clicks of a cocked hammer just says "here we go boys".  My FFL has learned to order some guns in he knows once they are here, I can't seem to go home without them.  My wife certainly appreciates that!

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:23:29 AM »
Yeah; I know what you mean by your last comment. My " better half" was , to say the least, shocked, when she learned the price of the 45/70. Hey! I'd much rather leave  behind"tanglebles" when I go, rather than money that my heirs will just spend foolishly. Besides I think I've earned the right to spend my money, as long as I'm able to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads, rather than let those who come after do it for me. Don't have to bother about clothes got enough of them(that?) to last for the next hundred years, not that we'll be needing them for that long a period of time.
      Anyway, I suppose the next thing on the agenda is to buy a bigger safe, my collection of "tangeables" has outgrown their present abode and tend to crowd together in the limited space alloted them. In fact when I last opened "Seseme"
one of my SS .45 Rugers was found sleeping with the 1911 Springfield!

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
I am lucky that my wife does not require any justification for my "hobby".  She knows how much I save by not having any bad habits like smoking or drinking, and my friendly poker nights only occur once a month.  I know she is going to atleast ask questions when the new John Wayne guns I ordered come in sometime this summer.  Ah, what can I say?  "Good Investment Darling" comes to mind, or atleast "I didn't smoke and piss away my fun money".  "Look at them, they are beautiful!"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »
Well, I no longer smoke, gave that up in '84. But I do so like a cold beer now and again, don't touch the hard stuff tried it, don't care a whit for it. Didn't mean to give the wrong idea Doc., my wife doesn't complain when I buy new "toys"
 And I don't complain when she buys "whatever."
 I ain't got no plans to buy any new shootin irons in the near future, however I do plan on getting deeper into BPCR shooting. I have a list of things to get for reloading the 45/70 got a few already but, well; you know how it is---.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »
For a while I was jealous of my wife because she had all sorts of packages coming home in the mail outnumbering mine, that was until I got on e-Bay and was able to find things I had been looking for.  I am very lucky though, she is a very wise spender and very hard worker.

As far as the drink, my wife enjoys the Capt., but as a fire fighter paramedic, I have always needed to be in good shape being on call 24 hours a day.
When I have had drinks, I am in the bathroom very shortly, and I have figured out all I am doing is putting money down the drain.

The one drink I can handle, none of my friends will touch, OUZO.  Wimps!

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
That's only because you lead an examplrtory life and don't fool with rye or red-eye, only Ouzo, tried it whe I was in Greece as a young sailor but like I said I don't like the "hard stuff" Now a good German or Belgian Beer and I'm in a pleaent place. Of course a good micro- brewery product is welcomed too. As far as "putting money down the drain"
 I look at it as "keeping the drainage pipes (mine) free and running." I don't drink every day sometimes not for weeks at a time and then usually only one or two beers.
 But back to the main subject of this conversation. Toys that shoot lead thingies. Went "play" in the rain last Saturday
 and shot the 45/70 still using smokeless factory ammo It or I shot better than the first time. I am dieing to reload but until I get the cartridge blocks I need I can't. I 'm going to buy a century of bullets day after tomorrow 50/50; 490 gr. and 500 gr. weights and decide which I perfer and then buy a mould of that grain weight and start casting.
 That's the plan anyway.

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
I hope you have Good Luck.  I just recently had some fun shooting a Winchester Model 94 Trapper in .44 Rem. Mag., and it was a blast to shoot, especially with .44 Specials.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »
Ya know Doc. I hear more about .44-40s .44 magnums and .44 specials than I do about my favorite caliber (.45) I wonder why that is? It could be because the .44-40 was both a rifle and revolver load in the 1800s as far as that particular caliber is concerned but the .44 special and magnumn? may be it's because they are a more popular caliber? I don't know, seems I keep hearing whispers that the .45 Colt is, was and will continue to be thae most popular caliber. But of late I've been having a hard time finding new articles on the . 45 caliber round. Unless it's ACP or GAP Oh well I've found what I like and I'm stickin with it!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »
It also might be because cowboy shooters try to have their sixguns and rifles chambered for the same cartridge, which if their sixgun is .45 Colt, then a rifle in .45 Colt is not historically correct.  Winchester never chambered the .45 Colt, until recently.  So, a cowboy who wants to be historically accurate and able to chamber the same cartridge can do so by using the 44-40.  That being said, a real cowboy would realize that shooting sixgun cartridges out of a rifle really defeats the purpose of the rifle.  That is where your 45-70 comes in.  I haven't yet obtained a 45-70, but it is on my wish list.

The "Duke" always said that his sixgun was a tool to get him to his rifle!  I know his cartridge of choice was not a .45, but you know what I mean.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:43 PM »
Doc. I don't want to get into a discussion about the pros and cons of "cowboy shooting". I know that the .45 was not built for the rifle, not in the 18 or 1900s anyways until toward the end of the last century, at least not at the loads used in Cowboy shooting which does indeed defeat the purpose of the rifle. It is a darn good revolver cartridge though. I have not nor do I plan to reload my .45 ammunition beyond the recomended loads for the Colt.45 revolver. That is my limit even though my revolver of choice is the OM Vaquero.
 I just would like to see more reading material on the . 45 Colt cartridge is all.  I mean, after all a feller that raises AKC Blue-Tic hounds wants to read about Blue-Tic Hounds he might read an article about Begles but it's really information about Blue-tics that he's hungry for.

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 08:13:40 AM »
Do you reload all of your .45 ammo?  I had gotten away from reloading when I just didn't have the time anymore and started using factory loads.  My favorite factory loading is Winchester, but up here in the north I practically have to beg dealers to get any .45 Colt ammo in as it does seem not many people are using it. 

What kind of shooting do you do?  I always read about cowboy shooting, but I have yet to try it.  For now I just shoot at targets and plinking with handguns and rifles, and definitely enjoy shooting the clays with my shotguns.  But I just love the feel of having a single action in my hand.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 03:50:16 PM »
Yes, I reload all of my.45 Colt ammo and as stated I plan to reload the 45/70 ammo too when my son-in-law delivers the reloading blocks he's making for me. I used to reload ammo for my 30-30 years ago but then I started with black-powder muzzleloaders and put the 30-30 aside I find it simpler and less time consumming just but 30-30 ammo.
  It is nothing to go through 5 or 600 rounds at a "cowboy shoot" and when you're reloading for two shooters that one heck of a lot of bullets to have to buy at retail prices. Reloading may be time-consumming but it's a lot cheaper than buying that amount of factory ammo and that's not counting the reloads for hunting and casual target pratice.
 I figure, on avarage, my son and I shoot  upwards of 1500 cartridges in a three or four month period and that's a conservitive estimate.
 Most of our shooting is done on a range with some hunting thrown in We've done a little "cowboy" shooting but if the truth be told, I find the targets much too close, I prefer accuracy over speed and it's almost impossiable to miss a "cowboy" target unless one really, really tries.
 As far as shotguns we use them mostly for water fowl, rabbit, squirrel and some use them for deer with buckshot or slugs. When I was a youngster we used .22 rifles on the small game and 30-30s or larger calibers for deer. Now, however it's mostly shotguns for hunting because of the safety factor. Aahh for the good ole days! Handgun hunting is popular down here particularly for feral hogs.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com