Author Topic: Six Shooters  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Swifty Morgan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Six Shooters
« on: April 22, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »
Being fairly new to this here wire, I am looking for a new set of six shooters (one can never have too many!)
I have looked at Vaqueros, Cattleman, GWII's and Hartfords. Which one's would be a good choice that would not be outgrown in a short period of time!
Is one more prone to breakage than another?
Any help you pards could give would be appreciated.

RTH

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
Re: Six Shooters
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:17 PM »
Just my opinion, understand that I am not 'touting' one brand of gun over another 'to each his own' as the saying goes.
Ok enough preamble:
   I like the way the old style Vaquero fills my hand, note that I said 'old style, not old model, I believe that the old model has three screws, mine does not  when I say old style I'm refering to the Vaqueros that preceeded the 'New Vaquero' which is built on a smaller frame than is mine and thus is said to be unsafe with loads listed as 'Ruger and Thomson Center loads'  listed in many manuals. My Ruger has never shot the minimum or maximum load listed as I like to stay toward the middle of the powder spectrum. I would suggest that if you want a serviceable 'work' gun you look into purchasing an "OLd Style' Ruger Vaquero  I have never had any problem with mine (new from Ruger through my FFL dealer) and have shot close to if not over one thousand rounds through it. You can usually find them in gun shops and/or shows that's where I got my last Vaquero(used) at a gun show and that one too has been trouble free thus far.
 JUst my opinion , understand?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Swifty Morgan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:58:48 PM »
Howdy Cyrille,
Thanks for the response every bit helps...
I have been looking and trying to see what feels best.
I have a colt but it has not been fired so it's in it's case in the safe.
Thanks again!!!

RTH

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:56:47 PM »

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 12:09:45 PM »
If you want them for CAS get the ones that feel best in your hand.  Colts are the best, but expensive, USFAs are very nice, but expensive.  If you want to shoot stout loads (especially in a 45) get a larger frame gun with more steel in the cylinder.  Rugers are excellent, Freedom Arms are wonderful but expensive.

Offline Cobalt Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »
I am just starting too.  I just got a pair of Cimarron Model P's.  They are a pretty nice gun and very fun to shoot. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com