Author Topic: (Off Topic) NEED RINGTAIL SHARPS BULLET MOLD.  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
(Off Topic) NEED RINGTAIL SHARPS BULLET MOLD.
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:15:21 PM »
Howdy to the camp,

I thought of using my original 56-56 Spencer mold for making 1863 percusion Sharps carbine bullets (live fire, not blanks)  Its a Rapine, 375 grain, .535 Diameter.  It does not lend itself to either gluing or tying the cartridge to it, however.

Anyone have a ringtail Sharps bullet mold (400-500 grain range) they would like to sell? I figured a bunch of you folks are N-SSA and re-enactor types, and may have moved on.

We use exclusively blanks in the Second Mass, but I will be hosting a live fire event at the 100 yard range on my ranch this summer.  Just thought I would get some loads worked up.

PS  Our bylaws say we represent the 1863 version of the California 100.  They did not get their Spencers until April or May of 1864, so I had to pick up a Sharps carbine. DANG!!!!!!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: (Off Topic) NEED RINGTAIL SHARPS BULLET MOLD.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »
Got one, a double cavity one, from Tammy at Taylor's.

Thanks
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 04:33:08 PM »
run your lead hot...800 degrees f. or more. that is one big bullet and it's hard to cast at the recommended 650 degrees f. good luck, geo.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:47:09 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 05:20:08 PM »
Thanks, I will.  I know using the aluminum molds, you have to stick to lower temps, even with 56-50 sand 50-70 bullets.  I compensate there by casting very hard (lots of linotype and wheel weight!).  These Sharps molds are steel blocks, double cavity, 425 grain christmas Tree bullets (Ringtail, pointed bullet with a .538 front driving band to engage the rifling.

Can't wait to fire it.  I will make them Confederate style: ringtail bullet with tied paper tube, folded at the breech end, to be sheared off.  I don't have time to make them Union style: nitrated or clear laquer coated linen, with a flat base made from nitrate paper that fits flush.  Life is way too busy for that.  maybe after I retire.......
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com