Author Topic: Is the EMF 1875 Remington by Uberti a good first gun?  (Read 6991 times)

Offline lazey j

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is the EMF 1875 Remington by Uberti a good first gun?
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this sport and need some guidance.  I am about to buy my first single action revolver, but have never owned one before.  A lot of people seem to like the Colt 1873 SAA, but I am drawn to the Remington 1875.  I have looked at the EMF 1875 Remington by Uberti in .38/.357 with the 5.5" barrel and like the look and feel of it better than the Colt.  Am I making a good choice?  Does anyone already own this model?  What kind of accuracy and reliabilty can I expect? Is it easy to maintain? 
Have you experienced any cylinder gap or timing problems? How well does this gun shoot, right out of the box?

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
Re: Is the EMF 1875 Remington by Uberti a good first gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:11:34 PM »
I have had two and after several hundred rounds I encountered no problems.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Durango

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
Uberti makes good. reliable stuff.  Anything reliable that you get and also like, will be a fine choice.  The price of 38/357 ammo is probably as reasonable as any around...particularly 38 spl.  Part of the fun in shooting is using a gun that you enjoy.  With technology being what it is today...and metalurgy and reverse engineering being what it is, if you stick with known manufacturers, it's hard to go too far off the path.  Names like Colt and Smith & Wesson have a lot of history behind them and carry a pretty good price tag because of that history.  But guns like the those manufacturered byTaurus and Uberti for instance, offer you 98% the same gun for 30% to 50% of the price.  What you like iis an issue that you have to resolve within youself.  If it is the Uberti 1875 Rem. in 38.357...go for it ...be careful...and have fun.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:40:00 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »
I currently have 3 Uberti 1875 Remingtons, one in .45 and two in .44. If you are going to shoot only Nitro (smokeless) in it, it will serve you well. Using BP in it requires some "special" considerations. I shoot them for NCOWS matches with BP.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »
Slim is right, I had two in .38/.357 and shot several hundred rounds of smokeless through them with no problems.  The guns were very accurate, my aiming was not!  ;D  The only difference was that mine were the 71/2" barrels.  Sold them to a friend and he didn't have any problems until he tried to use them for BP and they kept binding up on him.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »
I have a 5.5 inch '75 Uberti in 45 Colt that I got from EMF and it runs great.  Very accurate.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline Easy Aces Ed

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 10:42:42 PM »
I have a 5.5" and a 7.5". The 5.5" is an early model I bought when I first started CAS in approx 1994-95. The new ones have a much wider rear sight channel which works better. The only thing I did to them was add the EMF lightened main spring. Without the lighter spring the hammer is a tad heavy to cock quickly, but then you might have stonger thumbs than I do and it might not be a problem...
Mine are 45 Colt, have had no problems.
Easy Aces Ed
Easy Aces Ed
SASS 4159
NRA Life
RATS 272
Codger in training...

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 09:41:21 PM »
I had one that was the exception. It's the only one I've ever heard of that wasn't perfect. It would break something every single time I picked it up. Springs, bolts, grips, you name it. It must have been a Friday gun or something but I was thrilled when I sold it. You will probably never see one like mine but just be aware it is possible. I may some day pick up another one but not for a while.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 10:34:42 PM »
Many years ago I had a pair that were just a step up from garbage.  Swore I'd never buy another one.  Maybe six or seven years ago I picked up a pair in trade and I gotta tell you, there's a world of differenve.  Once I got them smoothed out, they have been marvelous.

The only reason I don't shoot them much is that I grew up with Colts and the Rems just fell "funny" to my hands.

Can't fault the quality any more.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com