Author Topic: USFA SAA's  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA SAA's
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:21:38 AM »
I just received a pair of the premium Single Actions, serial numbers about 100 numbers apart. Great looking finish on both; blue with cch frames.

Since both were ordered with black powder frames and bullseye ejectors it was a surprise when the higher serial number of the two had a crescent ejector. (A minor problem which the dealer is looking in to.)

Both of the guns have the removable bushing in the cylinder, and a flat head cylinder pin retaining screw. On the lower serial number gun, the bushing is very tight, and has to be pried out of the cylinder. The cylinder-pin feels rough, like it was only partially finished, not smoothly polished like the one for the other gun. The cylinder locks up tight with no movement at all.

The cylinder bushing slides in and out on the higher serial number gun without being pried or pushed out and the cylinder pin is nicely polished and blued. The cylinder exhibits a little play when locked but it is very minor.

I decided to see if changing the cylinder bushings from one gun to the other would have any effect, however, I discovered that the busihings are apparantly hand fitted to their gun, since the cylinder on the higher number gun would not go back into its frame because of the increased clearance caused by the lower number gun's bushing. There was no problem with using the higher number bushing in the lower number gun. I don't know if this is commonplace, but thought it was a little odd with the modern machining being used. It makes you appreciate that there is still a need for the masters touch in the process.

I have not fired these guns yet, and am planning to do so this weekend. I will add notes from my experience of shooting the guns then.

The physical examination of the guns show only two small manufacturing imperfections, and both on the same gun (the overly tight cylinder bushing and the partially polished cylinder pin). I do not believe that these will be very hard to take care of myself and they certainly do not detract from the excitement of acquiring two new "toys".

My overall impression of the guns is very positive, and I expect many long years of use from each.

Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: USFA SAA's
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:36:40 AM »
Frank, I think you made a good choice!  I think these are the best looking SA's going.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 07:50:33 AM »
I received a replacement bullseye ejector yesterday. Yee-Haw! It drops right in and makes the gun look a whole lot better (for a pre-smokeless version).

I actually got to shoot them on 4/1, and they shoot very well. No problems going the whole match using clear shot loaded cartridges. They seem to shoot pretty close to POA, but I haven't shot them at paper targets to verify this.

If you are looking to buy some, try ordering them through Ultona. He is a real good pard to deal with!

Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:34:45 AM »

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »
I know you are going to be happy with them.  I found that mine shoot to POA with Winchester factory loads.  They are wonderful examples of American craftsmanship.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 02:26:10 PM »
They are also the best shooting SAA on the market today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com