Author Topic: Black or smokeless?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline RSnyder

• Citizen
  • Invisus, Inauditus, Impavidus!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Black or smokeless?
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:47:07 PM »
Just getting started and wondered about how people feel about powders.  I like black powder, but, well, cleanup....  Smokeless seems more prevalent in over-the-counter ammo, too.  I just like it because it's easier.  Does anyone out there use smokeless in competition and are there restrictions on it as far as competing go?  I'll admit that in comp that I'd like to fit in as much as possible.  If given a choice between shooting with four guys as opposed to forty, well, I'll take the forty just for the fun.
Invisus, Inauditus, Impavidus!

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Black or smokeless?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »
There are more people shooting smokeless than BP in SASS.  Probably due to the clean up although having shot BP one time and cleaning up after it the job wasn't that bad.

No restrictions in smokeless except for the max FPS rules.  For revolver that is 1,000 fps and for rifle ammo is it 1,400.  Of course only lead bullets are allowed.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:11:37 PM »
More people right now shooting smokeless then BP, but BP has its own challenges and rewards.  Get a low wind day with a a few BP shooters and the challenge of even seeing half the targets can make it feel like you are competing with a whole lot more.

If clean up is a big issue then try one of the water soluble subs like 777 or Pinnacle.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:44:08 AM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 05:42:09 PM »
I have yet to shoot BP out of my revolver or rifles for that matter. In the distant past though, I have shot BP in muskets, rifles and even flint & cap & ball pistols. BP is way better when it comes to fun and real easy with cleanup,  liquid soap & water are all you need along with a goodly number of dry patches. Go for it!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com