Author Topic: USFA ejector rod question?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Wild Ben Raymond

• Wild Ben Raymond
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
USFA ejector rod question?
« on: March 19, 2006, 02:58:56 PM »
Howdy! I was wondering does USFA use the same method by brazing or siliver soldering a threaded piece into the barrel for the screw to hold the ejector rod housing on or do they do like the italians & just drill & tap right into the barrel? Just wondering, Wild Ben Raymond

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: USFA ejector rod question?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 05:18:08 PM »
Wild Ben,
Both methods have been used by USFA.  Some of the older guns used the threaded "plug" - current manufacture uses the simple, threaded hole.
The original purpose of the plug was to provide enough threading for the screw.  Back in the 1870's, machining technology hadn't progressed to the point where they could properly machine threads into a shallow screw hole.  Today that is no longer a problem and the plug method is no longer needed.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Wild Ben Raymond

• Wild Ben Raymond
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:28:06 PM »
Howdy! Capt. John, Well if I had a choice I choose the plug method because at one time I owned a Cimmeron clone that the screw would not stay tight even with thread lock on it. Well it was determained that the threads were worn out in the hole because I ordered a new screw & that didn't help. I eventually made my own plug & silver soldered it in place. It worked but the heat from the torch discolored the blueing on the barrel. I hope the USFA's I have use the plug method, I guess I'll have to looksome day but thats one screw I prefer not to remove because of the problems I had in the past with a non-pluged type pistol. Wild Ben Raymond

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:48:55 AM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:57:48 PM »
Wild Ben,
Guess I have been lucky as I have never experienced that problem.  I am sure that the main reason for not using the plug is to cut down on manufacturing costs.
One thing I always do, right out of the box, is put a drop of blue Lok-Tite (sp?) on the ejector housing screw.  That way it never gets the chance to back out and possibly damage the threads in that shallow hole.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Sixshooter_45

• Look real interested and back away slowly!
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:30 PM »
If the threads are cut to the proper dimensions then the thread percentage contact will be sufficient to hold the ejector housing for the life of the revolver as long as they are not over tightened.

If the hole is cut to large then the thread percentage, (male to female thread contact), will diminish and problems like stripping and wearing out prematurely will happen.

Sixshooter_45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com