Author Topic: WTB-Double Action Revolver  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WTB-Double Action Revolver
« on: March 11, 2006, 10:12:23 PM »
Pards,

Looking to buy a Webley Mk. V .455 or any other appropriate top break double action that can be used in an NCOWS match. Anyone have one for sale or know where I might find one. Mechanics and lockup for top strap and cylinder need to be very good to excellent, outside apperance not really a concern (but it can't be rusted and pitted)just nice honest wear.

Thanks, John

Captain John Jarrett

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: WTB-Double Action Revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 10:23:31 PM »
Your best bet is going to be one of the online gun sites.

Try:

www.gunbroker.com

www.gunsamerica.com

www.auctionarms.com

The big Webley MkIV and MkV fall into the era - the MkVI does not, as it was a WWI design.

Webleys that are unaltered for the half-moon clips of .45 ACP are in some demand - whereas those so altered may be more common.

Every one that I've ever handled was a solidly-built weapon, with great lock-up and strength - however - locating replacement parts can get to be an adventure, so keep that thought in mind.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:27:08 AM »
Is this what your looking for?  Pretty neat looking!

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ah1544.htm

or this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=44648117

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:26:16 PM »

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:24:42 AM »
I have several Webley revolvers that I thoroughly enjoy shooting.  While I would not consider selling any of them, I can at least tell you that they are fun and enjoyable firearms to shoot.

Mind you, Webley started with solid frame revolvers before going to the top break models.  Of the top break models, the first is actually the Webley-Green, which is my absolute favorite of the Webleys.  It's introduction date is around 1885 (mine is a later model).  However, the Webley-Green revolvers can get to be rather pricey....a standard Webley-Green can be in the $900-1200 dollar range, whereas a Webley-Green target (like I have) can get up to $1700 bucks or so.......

If you want an early, but affordable Webley, then you should consider getting a Mark 1.  This model was produced from about 1887 to 1894.  I have a Mark 1, which is a good, solid revolver.  You can sometimes find the Mark 1 in the range of $300, give or take.  If you find one that has been cut for .45 ACP, you can simply load .45 Auto Rims, to duplicate loading it in the original manner.

Also, consider that the Webley Mark 1 (1887-1894) was rated only for blackpowder, whereas the British started to rate their reolvers for smokeless starting in 1894-95, with their Mark 2. 

These are just a few of my thoughts on the Webley revolver.....
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline Frog69

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:47:24 AM »
This Brings me to what i thought would be fun ... that is find NCOWS members that enjoy shooting double action guns in matches.... maybe start a posse or are own society of people who like double actions for cowboy shooting (its all i shoot at NCOWS shoots) Might be fun to exchange thoughts info and help people to see the role double actions played in the pre-1900 world ... just think at the national shoot ... a whole posse of people shooting double actions..... IM goose bumpy
If there would be an interest from any one let me know
 Thank you.... Frog

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 06:57:04 PM »
St. George,

Thanks for the help.

Two Flints,

Man those are nice, but the first one is waaaaaaay out of the price range and while the second is closer, this photo shows what I am looking for. They only made the Mk. V for one year(talk about a pain to find) and then switched over to the Mk. VI which have the squared grips and are most prevelent at gun shows and online auctions.

O.T.,

I do not know you but I am already green with envy. Would like to see your collection of Webley's at some point in time, if at all possible.

Frog,

I am all for the idea. Have always appreciated the older double actions  ::)and now that I can justify the purchase ::)  am going to get a couple.

Capt. John

Captain John Jarrett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com