Author Topic: powders  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
powders
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:42:05 PM »
I am presently using W231 powder in my 357 vaqueros 3.5 grs. and 158 gr.lrnfp bullet. This setup works just fine,  but I would like to try another powder. Was thinking either clays or titegroup. Also thinkin about going to a 125 gr. bullet not sure if I want to do that, but you never know.what are some powders you like to use?
"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: powders
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:56:51 PM »
Dawg, You might want to look at VV N-320, TiteGroup is good, the new TrailBoss is working nicely in several calibers for me as well......Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:13:15 AM »
Before I switched to BP, I was using Clays in my .45's. It worked well for me.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:09:19 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 04:51:12 PM »
I like Red Dot and 3.3 gr seems to work well with a .125 gr bullet for both rifle and pistol.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Lars

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:04:25 PM »
Either I or friends get good to excellent results in 44-40, 44 Mag cases, 45 Colt for WAS with the following powders. Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, IMR SR7625, Universal Clays, and the powder you are already using. Titegroup has worked poorly in our revolvers but OK in rifles. Red Dot, Clays and Bullseye are OK but you have to be carefull about overcharging, especially double charging, with these fast powders. All these powders give poor results if loaded too light -- stick to loads above the mid-point of "Cowboy" loads recommended by the powder manufactures, or, often better yet, above the minimum regular loads they list.

In any case, get your loading data from a reputable manual NOT some BB on the Internet.

Lars

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 01:31:34 PM »
Has anyone tried the TRAIL BOSS powder yet? If so what do you think about it? Is it a ball or flake powder?
"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 12:32:06 PM »
Neither, it looks like little "doughnuts". It actually has a hole in the middle of it. It's quite bulky, in otherwords it fills up a lot case for a given weight. In .45 Colt with a 200g bullet, it fills the case better than half at the load I've selected( within the the manufacturer's selected range), mor than 2/3rd's in the .38 Spec., and up to the start of the shoulder area on my 38-40's. Leaves very little space after the bullet's seated. On the chrony, it gives some pretty consistent figures, low SD's, and on target, some pretty impressive groupings from the bench.
 It does require some watching during the powder drop section of the loading operation as it will bridge some if the drop is somewhat narrow. Dillon suggests using the rifle bar on their bigger presses and the large bar for the SDB( what I have). In the LEE's the disc number may have be one step larger than what the VMD calculation shows will drop the desired charge( for my PRO 1000  in .38's the VMD showed .66, but I had to go to .71 to get consistent charges).
 I'm in the process of switching all my CAS revolver carts. over to it...........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Lars

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 12:46:20 PM »
Mr. Lars,
I do not mean to be a BB (Whatever that is??) I was just telling what type and amount of powder I use not recomending loads. I agree 110%! If you reload USE A REPUTAL  MANUAL listing the powder you are reloading with and follow the data to the letter!

Cyrille,

BB just means Bulliten Board, sometimes BBS for BB System for the more extensive BBs, such as Cas City, Gunshop, etc.

I understand that you were only reporting what you use. Unfortunately, that can be taken as a "recomendation". More and more, the shooting BBs are taking a negative attitude to posting any loading data that gives actual amount of any power. Given the often dubious, or worse, loading data posted on CAS/WAS BBs, this practice, often well ment, has become a problem. That is why many of us will only mention the powder used and refer to loading data published by the powder maker. For better or worse, this whole business of an individual making their loading data public has become a "slippery" slope.

Lars

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »
Mr. Lars:
  Thank you for the information and the advice, "for as long as the grass will grow, as long as the waters flow, or I cease to exist I shall only post the powder used and the manual  I am using that lists the powder.
  Once again thank you from this yer 'greenhorn.'
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com