Author Topic: 92 feeding problem  (Read 3260 times)

Offline LTK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
92 feeding problem
« on: February 19, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
Hey All ... new 92 problem apparently. Was at a match yesterday ... and my beloved Hartford 92 wouldn't shoot a single stage. It was cold and rainy, but I have shot it in the rain before, and in the cold without any problem. What it was doing, and to a degree still is, is during the process of coming out of the mag tube, onto the carrier and into the barrel, it'll stove pipe. It's like, before the bullet will get into the barrel, the next bullet will come out of the mag tube, forcing the previous one to stand straight up. This is kind of hard to explain, but has anyone ever had this type of thing happen, or does anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

thanks in advance!
Ltk

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 92 feeding problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »
I don't think that anybody really knows why the 92 stove pipes like that.  I think that some people just get lucky trying to fix it and it actually works for them.  Some will tell you to check your OAL though.  What are you shooting thorugh it?

Mine would stove pipe with 200 grain bullets and when I loaded up some 180s it started throwing them out of the top, too short I guess.   Eventually it quit feeding altogether and I bought a '73.

If you talk to Nate he will tell you to try a taper crimp rather than a roll crimp.  The 92s just weren't made for straight walled cartriges.

Good luck, I hope that you get it working to suit you.  Try playing around with the OAL.  Seat the bullet deeper and see how that works or not as deep and see how that works.  Load a few at a time until you find one that you think is going to work right then load up a batch and run them through the gun as hard and as fast as you can.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline José Giganté

• Citizen
  • SASS 50335
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:30:51 PM »
Check the shell stop on the left side of the receiver.  Polish the stop and make sure it is working freely.  If it gets gummed up or isn't working free, then it won't stop the next round from coming in under the one on the lifter.  Mine stopped doing this once I polished mine up.  Now the stovepiping and jamming going into the chamber, that I can't help you with.

Jose

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:26:37 PM »

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 11:30:12 PM »
Leo, how old is the rifle and how much work has it done ?.

It may be a case of shiimming the guides on either side of the frame, starting with the one on the side opposite the loading gate.

I have had them pop up vertical and had all sorts of dramas getting them back feeding properly. Bearing in mind that my '92 was made in '94 (1894 that is).

The shim can be made from a soda can. It only need to be thin as the plate the shim goes under is not only acting as a guide, but as the round is tilted on the carrier, acts as a form of brake to slow things down a touch.

As was pointed out earlier, there is a spring under that guide and make sure when everything is re-assembled, that this spring goes back in correctly.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Offline Lincoln Co. Regulator

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 08:14:20 PM »
My "92 has had untold number of rounds through it and nearly all of the black powder. It's in .45 Colt. When I went through the rifle after I got it (new), I polished the small curved finger that stops the rounds from coming out of the magazine tube. Polish the end where the case heads bear,the upper and lower sides, and make sure the spring is in right. I even took a small (read very small) amount off the top and bottom so it would not ride against the frame cutout. I have yet to have two rounds try to feed as you describe. I have managed to work it fast enough to throw the round on the lifter straight up into a stovepipe. You can only work a '92 so fast, if you're faster, get a '73.

Warthog
Soot Lord
Gun Tinkerer
Smelter of Plumbnum
WARTHOG
SOOT LORD
Gunfighter Ordinaire
Smelter of Plumbnum
Gun Tinkerer

Offline LTK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 09:06:04 PM »
sorry I haven't responsed to everyone ... I completely forgot I posted! lol ... oops

I have since fixed the problem ... well ... fixed it 90% I should say. The stop spring was in backwards. User reassembly error on my part. So I took it back apart and corrected the issue. I now feeds correctly, almost 100% with dummy rounds. Haven't tried it on the range as of yet. What part of the bolt hits that stop to press it in? just curious.

Polishing the stop helps alot huh? I'll try that next time I have it apart.

Thanks to all who responded. I shoot 200 gr thru it, and have had it since last August. I dearly enjoy this rifle, and 92's in general.

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:06:51 AM »
The bottom of the bolt presses against the little arm when you close the action. If you work the action slowly, you will hear the next round be released onto the carrier when you close it. Hence the need for the spring to get the stop back out and the need to have it in the right way.Under normal circumstances, this is not heard as you are working the action too fast to take any notice ;D :D

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com