Author Topic: flash hole  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
flash hole
« on: February 19, 2006, 12:56:32 PM »
How many of you that load your own with reduced charges deburr the flash hole on your brass?
Do you think it is necesarry? I deburred 200 brass and loaded them have not gotten to shoot them but in my beady little mind it will make a difference.
"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: flash hole
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »
Dawg, I do very little to my brass unless something catches my eye to merit it. About the only thing I do is with new brass, I chamfer the mouths the first time it's to be loaded. After that, it's just shoot, clean, reload...........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:46:24 PM »
Mr. Dawg
 I have yet to chamfer the flash hole in any of my brass but I have trimmed the mouths after cleaning them then went on to reload never had any trouble and I have been rolling my own for darn near a year now.
 I do find, however that some primers burn 'cleaner'  than others.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:16:45 PM »

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
I was just thinkin with the reduced charges the more uninterupted flame you can get into the case hopefully a burn back does not happen and cause an oops on the shootin line. Dont want to be known as the moron.
"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:54:01 PM »
No-one, will fault you fer bein cautious, in fact they'll shake yore han 'n slap y'u on th back, "better safe than sorry"
maybe a cliche but it  is dern near th "golden rule" when it comes ta th shootin sports. So do what ya hafta do to be comfortable with yerself an "sure as shootin," y'u'll make everybody comfortable. In mah experance,with a tight sealin bullet burn back is minimal, if at all.
 'nother thing is ah use "titegroup" by Hodgdon, neva had a misfire, Ah'm not askin thet y'u  switch yore propelent, jes thought Ah'd pass thet along.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »
You're messin' with pistol caliber stuff if you're shootin' CAS. Precise preparation of brass isn't necessary.  Basically, all you need is plinking quality ammo.  Just about any powder bullet combination will work.  Some are cleaner than others is all.  Over the years I've tried them all and that's the only difference I've found.

Where folks get in trouble is using loads reduced below the powder manufacturer's specs.  Even with low end loads some calibers out of Winchester clones are gonna give you a breeze in the face when you drop the hammer.  The flash hole has nothing to do with it, there's simply not enough pressure to seal the chamber.

All I shoot in CAS is Black Powder these days.  Fill the brass, smash a bullet on it and forget it..........................

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com