Author Topic: Range report...powders in the 56-50  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Range report...powders in the 56-50
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »
Well I was at the range today shooting with my dad.

We went through 48 round of 56-50 smokeless loads.

The loads all had WLRM primers and 350gr bullets from yours truely.

IMR 4227 and Hodgdon 4227 seem the same to me.

Trailboss is light and clean. Man, I luv this powder.

21gr of 4227 just about fills the case under my bullets. (good sign of a good rifle powder)
7-9gr of Trailboss works fine as well. 9gr is a bit on the "warm" side for pressures, but, easily managable.

Overall, I like the 4227 a bit better, as it has a bit more power to it and is still VERY managable. I could shoot these all day!!!
(I think they were going just a tad over 1100fps...maybe...I'll have to chrono them next time to be sure)

Harve Curry

Re: Range report...powders in the 56-50
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
Dakota,
Let us know , is it accurate ? velocity when you shoot over the chrono.?
                                       thanks,
                                                 H.C.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:21:36 PM »
I haven't tried 4227 yet but I agree with DW that Tail Boss is great, hard to find, but great.  I was getting a fist size group at 25 yards off hand for about 40 rounds, then my poor trigger finger pooped out and flyers appeared  :P.  Using DW's bullet or Lyman's and SPG lube very easy clean up and no leading :D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:18:56 AM »

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 09:13:27 PM »
Made a quick run to the range.  I tried 40 gr volume of 777, shot well, less smoke than black and no stink.  9.2 gr Trail Boss, also grouped well but no smoke...weird!  And I tried the 50 gr pyrodex tabs, they worked well and had some real steam to them.  Now I've got to bang that miserable sight over to the left a ways.   I'll have to stick my clock on these come spring.  I ran the Trail Boss last so clean up was a breeze.  The pyrodex were a tad longer than the rest (1.65 vs 1.62) but fed well with a two step action, lever up until it bound up slightly, release pressue then take it the rest of the way in.  No indication of pressure with any of the loads. Trail Boss is pretty neat stuff, fills the case almost to the base of the bullet.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »
My groups with my Spencer are not nearly as nice as i would like.

the trigger needs help...SERIOUS help.

I had 2 light primer strikes. Recocked and they went bang. (Winchester primers...might switch to Federal)

has this happened to anywone? I am assuming this is because everything is so tight and such.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 03:28:57 PM »
As heavy as the mainspring is in the Spencer, if you had light hits here is what I experienced:  Pull the breech block out and check the screws (2) holding the firing pin slide to the firing pin.  If they are loose, you will get light hits.  Locktite them and tighten them down.  Check every time you remove the breech block for cleaning.  Also, if the inside of the hammer is not bevelled and is striking the edge of the breech block next to the firing pin slide, you may not be getting a good hit.  Check to see if the hammer screw is tight, Locktite it, and make sure the hammer face is not coming to rest on the breech block.  You want it to bear on the firing pin slide and bottom out on the hammer cutout on the receiver when fired.
French Jack

Offline Susquehanna

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »
I had the same problem with that 50 lb. trigger pull on my taylors repro. I sent it back to them and yesterday it returned with a six lb. pull. Raining hard here will try the range as soon as it dries out
                                                                                                      Susquehanna

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:20:34 AM »
I sure would like to see what Taylors did to lighten the trigger pull that much.  6 pounds is heavy, but not nearly, not even a quarter of what I have now

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 09:28:25 AM »
Hi,

I posted these before, maybe one of the ideas/methods mentioned here is what Taylors would also be doing on trigger pull adjustments.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,7869.0.html

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 08:57:53 PM »
Now that I have a couple of hundred rounds through the Spencer, the trigger pull is getting better, or my trigger finger is getting really strong  ;D.  Fill the case with 777 and you don't have to worry about shooting fast as it takes a while for the smoke to clear.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 08:48:40 AM »
Shot a match Saturday using a case full of 777 not a problem.  didn't realize I used a couple of rounds with the 50gr pellet of 777.  Can't say as I noticed any difference, didn't see any flattened primers, no ejection problems and the trigger pull is definately getting better.  Clean up no problem.  What a neat carbine even if it is a tech slow.  Seems everyone else likes it that I'm slow ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com