Author Topic: Repro 1876 Win. Photos  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Repro 1876 Win. Photos
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
I believe the maker is a joint venture between Palmetto, an Italian repro company that made the famous Garrett Sharps, and a German company. Yes, it'll be a handload only propsition probably, but that's no hill for a real climber. As far as cases are concerned, you're only going to need a 100 at most and PROPERLY cared for & annealed they will outlast the shooter.

Lars

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 09:33:02 AM »
The Germans are also selling loaded ammo, hulls and bullets

Loaded ammo from Firma LiMa -- Made in Germany -- no price given for loaded ammo.
(http://lima-wiederladetechnik.shop.t-online.de/) but 40-60, 45-60, 45-75 not listed presently

Hülsen gefertigt von Fa. Horneber (Cases made by Horneber Firm) -- 2,0 Euros each

Geschosse gefertigt von Fa. M. Buhlert (Bullets from M. Buhlert Firm) -- 12 Euros per 100

SO, 100 cases X 2,0 Euros = 200 Euros X 1,23(approx) dollars per Euro = 246 USD

Plus about 1.500 USD for rifle, plus 89 Euros for Redding dies, plus ???? extra charges ----- = 2.000 plus USD

Lars

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
As for brass availability, it looks like 45-75 brass can be formed from either 348 Winchester or 50-90.  348 brass head and rim diameters are very close to the 45-75 and it is available from Winchester and possibly others.  It just needs to be fireformed and trimmed to length.  50-90 brass head diameter is very close to the 45-75 but the rim may need to be turned down to fit as it looks like it is a bit oversize.  It is available from Starline.  It needs to be full length sized and trimmed to length.

A simpler solution would be to get a rifle in 45-60 caliber, I think that this an available caliber, and just shorten 45-70 cases.  These are cheap and available from everybody.

I wouldn't let case availability deter anyone from getting one of these rifles because, as Lars points out, ammo and cases also appear to be available from the German supplier.

HHW

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:09:16 AM »

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
Actually, I've always wanted an 1876 Winchester in .45-60 caliber.  I knew a couple of guys who had them and used them in matches back in Missouri (non-affiliated matches), and it was always neat. 
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline innocent bystander

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »
Howdy Pards!

Just thought I'd get on here and give you some information concerning the 1876 as I have spent part of Saturday and Sunday at the Shot Show.

First off, Chaparral was showing three rifles, two in 45-60 and one in 40-60. The 45-60 has a groove diameter of .4566 or so we figured out on a metric to inch calculator.  Don't know about the 40-60. The fellow who is running the Italian plant (Angelo) said that his guns are not the same as what Taylors and Cimarron are marketing. Taylor's only had a flyer and Cimarron had one proto-type rifle.

Angelo says that his company has been working on the 76 for a year and a half and that they used two originals as a basis for the ones he is producing. He says all the dimensions are exactly like the original including down to an inertia firing pin and the butt trap for a cleaning rod. Sights are just like the original, ladder in back and brass blade up front. The tang is drilled for a sight. The wood, European Walnut, on the ones at the show (which he says are regular production guns) was outstanding for a non-custom grade. Steel is 4140 so smokeless is no problem. I was very impressed with the overall look of the rifle. Right now, these are available although very few are in the country at this time. Angelo says the price is substantially less than $1000 at this time, although who knows what the future will bring.

Taylor's had no information except their flyer so I can't comment on theirs except the flyer said the price would be $1495. Cimarron had a prototype at their booth. The  case coloring looked exactly like those at Chaparral, but make no mistake these are from different manufactures. Cimarron is using Uberti. They didn't have a price on theirs listed, but Uberti is also making the one for Taylor's so expect the same price range. The problem I saw with the Cimarron rifle was that it was obvious that it was rushed into this country to have at the show. The sights were from a 73, large buckhorn rear and standard 73 front sight. One of the men at the booth said that they weren't happy with the drop on the stock either. Cimarron is listing Dec. 2006 as a delivery date. EVERYONE I talked with thinks that is very optimistic.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions about this that I didn't think of, mention it and I'll see if I can answer it.

Innocent Bystander

Lars

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »
Howdy Pards!

The 45-60 has a groove diameter of .4566 or so we figured out on a metric to inch calculator.  Don't know about the 40-60.

they used two originals as a basis for the ones he is producing. He says all the dimensions are exactly like the original

Innocent Bystander

The two comments I quote above are consistant with what I quoted in a previous post to the this thread. I repeat that information here so the reader need not search for it.

"Mike Venturino gives 0,457-0,459 for cast bullets to be loaded in 45-60 and 45-75. Furthermore, he states "every .45 caliber Model 1876 whose bore I have personally slugged has measured .457 inch."

Lars

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com