Author Topic: Separating Rivets  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
Separating Rivets
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
What is a good way to separate a steel rivet without marring the leather.  Part of the deal on my bargain saddle was to repair a chest strap for the saddle they are using.  It is rubbing a raw spot on the horse and they want the offending piece removed.  Easy enough to do so and restich, but I need to pop a rivet.  I would prefer to do it without marking the leather.   How so?

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Separating Rivets
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »
When all else fails I dimple the center and put in a small pilot hole.  Next I use an oversize bit to carfully drill until the cap falls off of the shank.  A pair of needle nose pliers may or may not be needed to touch up any remaining flare.  With the right tools kept handy, you can do a neat job of it in just a minute or two.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »
Slowhand's technique works quite well especially on post and burr rivets of the Copper, brass or steel variety. That's what I use mostly,
be careful the drill does not slip off . You can also grind away at the peened post with a small Dremal grind point ( careful of heat build up )

For the star style you will need to get at the little star teeth (I use a Dremel tool with a small round burr/file ) or if you have small side cutters
Radio Shack you can try to nip the teeth away.

For the Chicago style T style post & sleeve, the Drill with work, but in all cases where you use power go slow as heat will burn and discolor around the rivet.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:42:06 AM »

Offline Bojack

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »
I use a moto dremel tool with a small abrasive wheel to grind off the center, you have to take your time cause you can burn the leather, the copper will really get hot. You just grind a little bit at a time, then stop before oit gets very hot.  Then the washer just pops off.

Bojack
Co-Founder Cajon Cowboys
Cajon Cowboys #1
SASS Regulator #5030
www.cajoncowboys.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com