Author Topic: Cost of the Various Spencer Replica Options  (Read 2857 times)

klw

Cost of the Various Spencer Replica Options
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:30:36 PM »
It would seem to me that there would be a substantial cost savings if one purchased a replica in a caliber other than 56-50 simply because of the cost of the brass.  Assuming that one buys a Taylor gun, they certainly are the most price attractive, is there any reason why a 44-40, say, wouldn't be the cheaper gun to shoot a lot.

Starline has 56-50 Taylor brass for $206/250.  Their 44-40 brass is $55/250.  So the appeal of the 44-40 would seem to be substantial.

My experience has been that straight walled rifle cases almost never wear out.  I got 34 reloads per case, for example, out of my 45-90 brass and I know some who more than doubled that.  I ONLY got 34 reloads per case because I finally stopped shooting that gun.

My experience with bottlenecked cases, however, is that half will fail, split at the neck ususally, at about 15 reloadings.  44-40 brass isn't know to be very stout so maybe it will not make it to 15 reloads, but...  There was some talk years ago about Starline's 44-40 brass being stouter than other brands.  Anyone know if that is true?

But given the possible much longer life expectancy of 56-50 brass compared to 44-40 brass, it still seems as if the 56-50 is going to be the more expensive option.  Have I missed anything here?

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cost of the Various Spencer Replica Options
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »
Since I cast my own bullets, and use BP, the cost of reloading the 56-50 as opposed to the other calibers is the cost of brass casings.  The Starline brass is very heavy, and I have had no case losses so far.  I have reloaded my cases about 12 times each so far, some more than that.  Resizing the cases has been minimal in my carbine.  The functioning of the gun with the 56-50 is much better than the other choices. 
I expect to have a great longevity with the cases, based on experience so far.  I would think that choosing another caliber would be false economy in the long run.
French Jack

klw

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
Do you do full length case resizing or can you just, essentially, neck size?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:49:45 PM »

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 06:07:55 AM »
I have been able to essentially 'neck size'.  The bases do not swell enough to cause sticky chambring.  I size just enough to insure proper neck tension.
French Jack

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:23:24 AM »
Jack, what dies have you been using to neck size those cases?  The Lyman .56-50 dies I have won't even reduce the neck diameter of Starline cases quite enough even when full length sized, and they leave serious scuff marks near the base of the case to boot.  I'd love to have another option.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »
I use Lyman dies.  I size my bullets to .512 and crimp with a medium crimp.  My dies reduce the neck and case mouth enough to prevent the sized and lubed bullets from being inserted without using the expander plug to put a slight bell on the case mouth.
If you are having problems, I suggest that you call Lyman and see if they will correct the problem.  I would send them a fired case to check with.
French Jack

Offline Wagon Wheel

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »
French Jack how do you have the sizing die set up?  All the way down to the shell plate or backed off some?

WW

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 06:18:22 AM »
WW-- normally I have the die backed off a couple of turns or so from the shell holder so that the case is not completely resized.  Since the case is a tapered case, the amount may vary from particular chamber to chamber on this setting.
French Jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com