Author Topic: Are single shot shotguns legal for SASS and NCOWS???  (Read 9135 times)

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are single shot shotguns legal for SASS and NCOWS???
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:38:42 PM »
I stumbled on an old single shot shotgun that might possibly be for sale.  Are single shot shotguns with out ejectors legal for use in SASS and NCOWS compition?  What are minimum and maximum barrel lenths?
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Are single shot shotguns legal for SASS and NCOWS???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »
Hey Kid, single shot shotguns are legal but you would be severly handicapping yourself with one.  Ejectors are not legal although I doubt that anyone would say anything to you about it at a local match while using a single shot shotgun.  If the barrel length is legal in your state then it's legal for a SASS match.

The above comments are as far as SASS rules go.  I don't know about NCOWS or W3G.

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Bristow Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:57:39 PM »
beautiful and wise is the fair Camille.  Thanks darlin' for the info.  I know I would be handicapped but am gonna buy it anyway cause its an antique and I love guns especially the old ones.  But I figured if it was legal I would use it till I get my lever action from Coyote Cap.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:02:09 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:53:47 AM »
From the NCOWS by-laws:
"6-2.  No modern (post 1899) firearms will be allowed unless they are authentic reproductions of traditional firearms or very markedly resemble traditional firearms.  Traditional firearms are defined as those manufactured and/or commonly used during 1865-1899 time period.  Center-fire calibers may substitute for original rim-fire calibers in reproduction firearms.  Reproduction firearms chambered in calibers not utilized in original models shall be allowed as long as such calibers are original to the period or otherwise approved by  the National Congress of Old West Shootists."

I will post a link to this thread in the NCOWS forum so those that have more single barrel knowledge than me might answer.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Kid, single shot shotguns are fine for NCOWS. There were probally just as many or more single shots as any other kind. As far as ejectors go if the gun is an original or a copy of an original with ejectors than it is legal also.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 11:25:16 AM »
Like Quickfire stated ejectors are legal for NCOWS.  This is one of the things that has bothered me about SASS.  My 1895 Montgomery Wards catalog shows several.  My 1897 Sears & Roebuck shows many.  They must have become more popular in two years.  Of course this means your impression should be from that era.

As for single shots, as long as they have the opening lever we are use to seeing on doubles and not the push button like those on the H&R Topper they are legal.  No one has been able to document the latter.

As far as being handicapped, not as much as you might think.  I have seen people use them with extra shell between their fingers do very well, in fact a good friend of mine can regularly hit the clay bird that is launched in the air after you knock down the plate.  You have to load darn fast to be able to do that.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Bristow Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 03:33:52 PM »
Thanks all y'all for the information.

Will I learned to hunt with a single and also learned to carry one shell between my fingures like your friend.  I am fairly decent at the quick reload like that.  The main reason I started this thread is cause I am getting the gun anyway cause its an antique.  But I have a rule that I dont buy any gun I aint gonna shoot.  So I just wanted to know if I could use it for CAS or if it would simply be a hunting gun. 

Thanks again Y'all

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
I have a "Springfield model 944 series A" manufactured by "Savage Arms" single shot crack barrel exposed hammer no ejector and a thumb lever to depress when opening the gun. Is it legal for SASS, Cas and/ or NCOWS and What in the world is W3G?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 05:44:25 PM »
I cannot find a Springfield 944 shotgun in any of my references.  Generally speaking if it has a swing over lever like a double barrel it is okay for NCOWS even if it has an ejector.  SASS doesn't allow ejectors in anything other than pumps.  If it has a button like a H&R Topper than it is too modern for NCOWS but without an ejector is fine for SASS.

As for W3G that is Western Three Gun which is just like the 3 gun events with modern firearms but with our CAS type guns. 

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »
No, it's not a "swing over"  It's a thumb lever that one has to depress to 'crack' the barrel open the shotgun is 12GA and serial # is P 829xxx. anything? I believe I purchased it at 'Wally World' back in the late 60's or early 70's 'way before the gov't discovered how to manufacture more red tape for  longgun purchases.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com