Author Topic: Reloading question  (Read 3377 times)

Ornery Orr

Reloading question
« on: January 11, 2006, 06:19:43 PM »
Does anybody know of a BP conversion for a Dillon Square Deal B.  My brother has one for his Dillon 650 and it works well.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reloading question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 08:16:42 PM »
Don't know of any specifically.

However, you can go to your favorite hardware store and get a couple feet of copper tubing or aluminum tubing.  It probably won't be the same outside diameter as the plastic hopper, but it'll be close.  4 screws will hold it in place and also you can make a baffle for the inside from sheet copper or aluminum.  Then, fill it with a pound of powder.  Cut it off an inch or two above where the top of the powder came to.  Since the low powder warning lid is desirable, get a couple feet of steel rod, thread one end and put on a copper disc  cut from some sheet copper, (nut-washer-disc-washer-jam nut), put it in the hole from the Dillon rod assy., measure it so it will trigger the alarm, and then do the thread, nut-a larger fender washer that would push down the warning mechanism trigger- then a couple extra washers to add the weight on top and did the washer-jamnut thing again.  Cut another thick disc the size of the inside diameter of the tube of something like cardboard (I heard leather works) and glue it to the bottom of the battery/buzzer assy. housing so it won't bounce around on top of the now smaller diameter hopper - but it will STILL go back to pure Dillon equipment in about 1 minute.

Works like a champ:  BP OR  smokey-less.

WARNING !!!  You do this at your own  risk and ya better never mention it to Dillon, 'cause if ya have a problem, they say that "BP will VOID their warranty."
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ornery Orr

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »
Thanks Steel Horse.  I found some sites online where I can buy just the tube.  My Dillon tube comes off with a couple of screws.  Two questions I haven't found answers to yet are is the BP tube the same diameter as my Dillon tube? (I'll have to email the company on that one, with a measurement).  And will BP run safely through the rest of the powder dispense mechanism?  I don't have a low powder sensor on my SQDB so all I need to do is find something to hold powder and a way to dispense it.  I found a Hornady case actuated BP dispenser online.  It says it works with most progressive presses.  Thought I'd email them and find out if it'll work on a Dillon SQDB.

Are you going to be at the Convention?  If so, I'd like to meet you.  I'll have a vendor booth there.  TLC Woodworking.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:10:04 AM »

Offline Twelve Bore

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 61337
  • NCOWS #: 4018
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:58:44 AM »
You might want to read the post I started in The Darksider's Den, Loading BP with a Dillon 650. Lots of good info on safely loading BP. Also read the one on Static and BP.

Hope this helps, "Twelve Bore"

Offline Doc Waxham

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:24:15 AM »
I went to my local metal shop and found some aluminum tubing-pipe same diameter as the existing measure.
The cap will not fit back on so you will have to fabricate one or find a post cap to fit.

Doc

Offline Surly Bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 08:06:28 PM »
Uh, it's been a while since I was in a fight.
I panicked!
Fell back, like to have broke my foot!
Well, or that damn Cuban cigar got me riled up

Ornery Orr

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 11:48:12 PM »
Thanks, big brother!  I still want to comare my Square Deal B powder measure to yours to make sure that they're the same.

Offline Surly Bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 05:35:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure they are same but it would be good to compare first.  The ad doesn't make a distinction but the picture is pretty clear.  Maybe you can bring it over next weekend or I can bring my spare setup to your place.
--VO
Uh, it's been a while since I was in a fight.
I panicked!
Fell back, like to have broke my foot!
Well, or that damn Cuban cigar got me riled up

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 05:44:02 AM »
I'd almost guarantee they're the same, since it's pretty much the same measure on a different base.

But you're smart to try it first, OO!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com