Author Topic: Adjusting Hat Size (Fit)  (Read 6659 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Adjusting Hat Size (Fit)
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:03:56 PM »
I've been wearing a 7 1/8 which was too small, so I just got a new hat from WWM size 7 1/4 and it is too big... :o

I cut a piece of demin material and placed it under the sweat ban in the back and the fit is "just rignt".. :D

Anyone else have this problem with a head that doesn't fit any size?
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Adjusting Hat Size (Fit)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:28:09 PM »
FB:  You just need a 7 3/16 hat. ::)  Wrap head in wet rawhide and sit in hot sun for several hours. :o  Ya did just what I would do with a customer that had a head half way betwwen sizes, except whe have some felt stuff on a roll that looks like some kind of weathersrip that we use.

Speaking of stuff on a roll, that stuff you have hanging in the little room works well also.  The nice thing about that it could come in handy some time, never know when ya might need some TP.

If the 7 1/8 hat is of ggod quality someone who knows a bit about hats and has a hat streacher could maybe stretch it a bit since we are talking about less than a full size.

Jump in the car and come to Lincoln Newbrasskey and I'll be glad to give it a try.  We could get an eeesssppprrreesssoooo while it is stretching.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:48:54 PM »
I'm right there with ya..
Recently, I bought a lot of 15 hats off Ebay.  All were "in my size" of 7 1/4. 
My lady wears a 7 3/8.  She was able to find 5 hats that she liked the look and fit out of the 15.  I found about 5 or so myself that I liked.  but a few were just too small.

Bottom line is, you need to try them on or you need to know the brand.
Adios,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:07:13 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:15:51 PM »
Often the shape of the oval will make a differance.  Ifer head is long and narrow and the hat openinf is shorter and fatter it ain't going to fit.  (Some hats come in long over, regular oval and round oval besides size)

If ya don't understand size it is simply this.  Take a measure of yer head, divide by Pi.  That is yer hat size.  Course the hat ain't round but that is neither here nor there. 

The best option, have yer head measured for size and shape, then have the cutom hatter make ya on that fits in 100% beaver felt.  I have one, got a very good price cause we were selling that brand at the time.  I love it was a good investment, for me. 

Cost, about the price of a good handgun.  Do I want another, YES.  Can I afford one, not at this time, maybe in a year or so.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 07:00:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips. The hat that is too small is actually pretty cheap so my daughter has been wearing it around the house. :)

I have no idea about the shape of my head... ??? all I know is that it ain't pointed!!
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Sidewinder Sills

• Brush Popper
  • Active citizen
  • Work hard, play harder.....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 12:31:16 PM »
My wife (and shooting pard) had the same problem. They were all a little too small or a little too big. I used a small piece of sticky sided weather-stripping inside the sweat band. It was spongy like and soon conformed to her noggin. Remember!!
Sticky side INside the sweatband. First time she tried it she had the hat stick to her forehead !! ::)

Sidewinder~~~~~

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 10:33:13 AM »
This is how I stretch a hat, if it is a tad too small. Steam the hat on the outside by the waistband. When it is all moist and warm, jam it on your head. Leave it there until it is dry. Instant head shrinker. ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 04:59:37 PM »
Like Delmonico said just a small amount can be stretched with a hatstretcher without removing the sweat and hat bands.  I have gone nearly 1/4" on a old but unworn Stetson.  That is about the most I would attempt without removing the bands.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Jose Grande

• Very Active Citizen
  • Sharps-Long Distance Operator
    • Jose's Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 06:16:33 PM »
It has been my experience that tinfoil molds to fit very well. That protects me from evil stuff....................Is that one o them black helicopters I hear?????????????? Here.....lets get in this here hole in the ground til it's past......... :o ;D
He shouldn't ought'a decorated his saloon with my friend.
Well now.......yall gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com