Author Topic: Rim Fire rounds  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
Rim Fire rounds
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:21:55 AM »
About 25 years ago, we use to shoot our Rim Fire Spencers ( before we converted to S&S upper blocks ) by using a custom made
Shell.
The shell  sold by Dixie Gun Works was fairly heavy brass with a rim , then counter drilled in the edge was a chamber to mount a 22 Cal. BB/BP   blank. You loaded 3fff BP  and hand fitted a (we use ) .528 Round ball , of course you had to load one at a time.
You had to get the offset 22 Blank under the fireing pin/slide so it would strike the blank.
It worked, and it allow us to live fire our Spencers as a single shot, but the round ball was not the best but we had fun.

I was just thinking about them and wondered if anyone here had done the same ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rim Fire rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:26:33 AM »
My grampa had a 41 REM Derringer that I was thinking of doing this with.

Still have it, but, the arm pin where the barrels tip up are in REALLY bad shape.
I took it to a gunsmith and he just started shaking his head. He opened up a book/catalog and I ordered a Cobra Enterprises derringer in 38spl (long bore) right then and there. (had to wait 4 months to get it, but, its a nice gun)

44Henry rounds work the same way I think...

For the Sharps BP carbines, there are "similar" cartridge tubes with a flash hole in the back. Most folks found these "interesting", but, the cases didn't seat a bullet well as all.
(when I got to shoot one, I asked its owner if he had thought of putting some nitrated paper under the bullet as a way to seat it better...]

I think other collectors refer to these as "one hit wonders"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »
I know what you speak of for Smith's & Gallagher's....

But for Sharps there is Centerfire 45/70 , 45/100, 45/120, 50/70 , 50/90 & 50/100
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:54:44 PM »

klw

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:56:27 PM »
Been there.  Done that.  Still have those Dixie cases.

As I recall the problem was getting the darn 22 cap out after it was fired.  If there was an easy way to do that I never figured it out.

I thought that Dixie was still selling those cases.

Seem to remember that that is also how you could shoot the S&W #2 (I think) Army.  I've got those cases also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com