Author Topic: 1858 remingtom , stainless steel  (Read 5085 times)

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1858 remingtom , stainless steel
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:11:15 PM »
Been thinking of buying one  , would like to any pros and cons on them .. and how does the stainless finish look after alot of use . and i`m not sure who makes them been lookin at one in cabelas .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1858 remingtom , stainless steel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
I have but one SS Remmie (Euroarms) but have owned 3 others that were Piettas. The Piettas (not the more recent upgraded quality ones) all had problems with chamber/barrel misallignment causing occasional (or in one case, frequent) lockup due to the cylinder camming out of the bolt and freezing the action when fired. My Euroarms is nice & lightweight (finer frame) with much smaller grips than the Piettas. I also have two Millenium finished Uberti '58s that I love.
If I had to do it over again, I would get two Uberti SS Remmies in the 5 1/2" barrels for SASS shoots. For just plain shooting, plinking & matches the 8" barreled models are fine. My milleniums are my "serious match" guns. (see photo to the left) Lately I have found that the 8" barrels are a little long for fast holstering. My holsters are high and I have to raise the guns up higher to reholster but it is not really a big deal. Sheesh, I've put up with it for 13 years of CAS.
To answer your questions:
Cabelas are Piettas. They are too heavy for me but I have weenie forearms. Check out Midway Shooters Supply for Uberti SS Remmies. I think they balance better and feel less "clunky" in my hands. They also make both 8" & 5.5" barreled guns. They are slightly lighter in weight. The SS guns seem a little harder steel than the blued models. That is my impression.
The beauty of SS besides it's rust RESISTANCE (not rust proof, ya still gotta clean 'em) is that if you get a scratch where there is no lettering you can gently polish it out whereas a blued gun is messed up. The drawback is they glare in the bright sun and you will shoot a little lower. However that is similar for the SAA clones whether SS or nickled and a lot of folks like them. A friend of mine has SS Vaqueros but he has had them bead blasted to dull the frames to where it looks almost like a grey Parkerized finish. The Millenium finish on the Ubertis resembles a matte black and is probably what the frame looks like right out of the investment casting without the polishing and a black coating of some kind added.
After a lot of use the SS guns still look great. Some guns are finished to a mirror bright, others to a duller finish. Whether you use a polishing buffer on them or some real fine grit sandpaper will determine the finish (glossy or duller). so, whatever the gun came with, you can usualy restore the finish wherever there is a worn smooth or dulled part.
Feel free to email me directly or just keep on posting. There's a lot of experienced perCUSSIN' shooters willing to help.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 08:10:39 PM »
I wasn't aware that Uberti was making SS '58's. LOL, if I tell my wife, she'll want a pair. Then again, maybe I'll just get her a pair. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:53:59 AM »

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:59:06 AM »
Thanks for the imput , i`ve never owned any kind of stainless guns at all .. it will be a first ... and i didn`t know i could get one with the 5 and a half inch barrel ... i`ll have to take a look see at that one . the one with case harden frame looks nice to me too ... so its gonna be a hard decision .. plus i have a lot of extra cycs that are blue steel too ... something else to think about .. i`m gonna talk myself right out of the stainless one ain`t i .. lol

Offline sundance44`s

• Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:36:10 AM »
Hellgate ... thanks fer the tip on midway supply ... those guys have a lot of shootin irons .. and with cabelas raiseing their prices .. its worth a look ..i`ve never seen the silver finish remmie they have .. sharp .. ;D

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:25:52 AM »
News flash, Cabelas is not the only ones who have raised there prices...the are all going up $20.  Was the Euro to the U.S. $ plus fuel cost rising that has inflated Imports $20 . Thought those who didn't know would like to know. So buy as priced while you can.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline sundance44`s

• Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 03:43:40 PM »
That is good to know ... i do like pettas and i do like cabelas .. they`ve treated me well with all my ordering , maybe they`ll send me another 20 dollars off cupon soon , and i`ll order at least one in stainless .. just gotta try one i`m thinking with the amount of wear i put on one .. it`ll look really good in no time .

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 03:36:37 PM »
I've got a 58 Uberti "in the white" finish, while it's stainless steel it isn't polished to resemble a nickel plate, more like a satin or bead blasted finish.  I also use a Kirst conversion cylinder that's a blued finish and the contrast is kinda cool!  8)
Last weekend I shot a match with it and my '75 EMF Remington, no malfunctions, misfires, etc. Everyone I've ever gotten advice from concerning both the 58 and 75 designs told me that they wouldn't hold up to the demands of CAS, but so far after 6 months and some 300+ rounds, my back-up Rugers haven't seen the light of day.
The nice part of getting a 58 in the white is the fixed sights, period correct and all, while the shiny stainless models I've seen always have adjustable sights.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 12:17:09 AM »
SFT,
The only area where I could imagine they might not hold up is in the fouling department. My Ubertis will foul after  one stage using max loads. A single drop of oil frees them up for another go 'round so it's not a problem. I have an Euroarms Remmie that will shoot all day without the oil and is fine. Some folks have Remmies with tight cylinder gaps and they gum up pretty quickly and therefore some folks think they "won't hold up to CAS matches". Baloney. Just keep 'em lubed with a little squeeze bottle of oil. I use lube wads + over ball grease+ theoil drop and can go indefinately.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 07:26:50 AM »
Hellgate
I have part of an old hand towel tied on my Cactus Cris C&B Cart. A wipe round the face of the cylinder and a splash of secret lube after the cylinder is loaded makes for a happy 58 Cap and Ball shooter !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com