Author Topic: Ruger Loading Gate Problem  (Read 5058 times)

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Loading Gate Problem
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »
I recently bought a used Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag at a local gunshop. I took it out, fired it a few times, and everything seemed to be in good working order on it, until a decided to take it apart for cleaning. It definetly needed the cleaning, but this is my first Ruger, so it was a bit of a learning experience for me. I got especially frustrated with putting the coil main spring back in (A mistake I won't make again). I got it all back togather eventually, and everything worked fine, except for the loading gate. For some reason the loading gate is stiff to open, and when it's open the cylinder won't spin. ???  Does anybody have an idea of what I did wrong? I'm stumped!

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Loading Gate Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 01:46:07 PM »
The loading gate is kept closed by the leg of a spring that comes up from out of the inner-workings of the gun. Make sure that spring leg is in the proper place. If that spring isn't in right the locking bolt doesn't get pushed down to let the cylinder turn.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
The Prof is correct. That springs bent leg is probably your problem. As for your hammer spring, I install new springs by using one of my wifes forks ( although she doesn't know it). You can clamp down the strut and install spring and push it down over the strut with the fork and pin it with a finish nail.

Warning: don't let your wife catch you
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:21:22 AM »

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »
Pard, sounds like you didn't get an owner's manual with your Ruger. You can download one from ruger's web site at "www.ruger-firearms.com" or call them and they will send you one for free.

What you've got, as Prof. Bullspit said, is a reassembly problem. You really need three hands to make sure the Loading gate doesn't fall away from the cylinder disconnect for the bolt when you put it back together.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »
Yeah, my Ruger was used, and didn't have a box or a manual. I'll be downloading that manual tonight so I can compare to my gun. I looked last night and I noticed the spring bent leg did look out of place. I didn't have time to fix it, but I'll try tonight with the manual. I finally got smart about the main spring, and just used a  notch in a very small, screwdriver sized pry bar. Then I pinned it in place using an old bent allen key. Worked good enough for me. I'll make a post on how it went tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com