Author Topic: 44-40 SPencer Carbine Range Report!!!!!  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
44-40 SPencer Carbine Range Report!!!!!
« on: December 25, 2005, 11:50:12 AM »
Oh my Gosh!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well, the Sierra monsoons and wind let up for a day, so I was able to adjorn to the range below my house on the ranch.  Shot two ghuns:  Spencer 44-40 Carbine and Taurus Thnderbolt (Lightning) pump .45 Colt.

The thunderbolt will be the hottest thing in CAS.  Fed flawlessly, slick, smooth, and fast, and only around $400 retail!  It can make a mediocre rifle shot VERY fast!!!!  It is a beautiful piece, especially since it is 1/3 of an AWA or Uberti Lightning!!!!! But that's a different story.

Now for the Spencer.  I really have a quandry, now.  Do I keep my 44=40 Henry, or Sell it and keep the 44-40 Spencer!!! :P  The 44-40 Spencer is superbly accurate, giving me several cloverleaf patterns at about 25 yards (all I could squeeze out oif the swamp that my range is).  It is dead on. 

Free standing, I bounced 25 consecutive pop cans without a single miss at 25-30 yards!  The only glitch is that on the last few rounds, you had to cycle the action smartly to seat the bullet against the cartridge stop/guide so the cartrisge is not overlength.   The first four rounds, the spring tension of the magazine tube does it for you, slightly overcoming the spring tension of the stop/guide. I remidied this by adjusting the spring tension on the cartridge stop/guide.  It works slick now.

I really do have a quandry, though.  The cost will be about $1,000 if I keep it.  I would have to saell my Henry to do it, but I do love the Henry too!

My Infantry rifle in 56-50 is supposed to be here next week.  That I know I am keeping<g>

Ah, what's a boy to do!!!!!!!!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 44-40 SPencer Carbine Range Report!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:02:16 PM »
Tuolumne,

Here is the answer I came up with, sell me the Spenser  ;D, I will keep it in the state of confusion that we both live in and you will have visitation rights  ;).

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:24:02 PM »
$1k is a very good price for a spenser repro. see the prices now for originals. geo.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:38:51 PM »

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 09:46:45 PM »
A 44-40 Henry and a 56-50 Spencer are both in my permanent collection...

the Henry is my "fast" rifle. The Spencer is my friggin cool carbine.

I can hunt with either one, but, I would rather take my Henry as it has a longer sight radius and handles smokeless as well as BP rounds equally well. The spencer prefers the holy black. (and subs)

Lots of folks on this board would make a fine new owner for a 44-40 Spencer.

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 03:57:50 AM »
My Infantry rifle in 56-50 is supposed to be here next week.  That I know I am keeping<g>

One of my best friends here in Norway has the 45 carabine Spencer, it is awsome to.  I would do a lot to get my hands on a 56 - 50 Rifle.!
Probably just have to buy it.!<G>

Tuolumne, I am looking for your test report on the 56 - 50...! 

Ewen if I have taken medals in the brightest valour with it, I have just desided to sell my 40 - 65 Pedersolli Sharps....<Snip>
That will cower the most of the cost for a new 56 - 50 Spencer Rifle.

I am going to make the cartridge box my self....... Any one that have drawings of the original cartridge box.?
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline The Yankee Bandit

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 08:58:22 AM »
TL,

What types of ammo did you use for your shooting?  Factory or handloads, etc?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 08:22:29 PM »
Howdy Bandit.

All I had was Black Hills and Ultramax factory.  Haven't had time to load any 44-40 BP!

Even with a fairly heavy trigger (very smooth though) I got several 3 shot cloverleafs at 25 yards.  DEAD on the money.  I think I offered you first dibbs on the 44-40 Spencer.  Maybe it was Major?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com