Author Topic: Mountain Lion??  (Read 29880 times)

Offline gophergrease

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mountain Lion??
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »
Thanks to all, for the info.
Sending this to my Dad in NV may be he can tell us if it good eating. He was talking about gooing hunting for one and ask if know anything about eating them.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 04:28:46 AM »
Well either way someone could get eaten. ;)  Tarhee, I think yer right about vegitarians generally tasting better.  I have always maintiained that we should travel with one.  That way in emergency situations all the animal food is yours, you can sleep comfertable at night knowing yer safe and if worst came to worst, they would taste better than most of us. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline creek johnson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 12:53:56 PM »
Had a chance to eat some mountain lion last memorial day at the High Sierra Shoot Out at Railroad Flats CA.
The Feller that shot it in AR brought some over and made chili out of it so could not really tell what it taste like and he had too much chili powder in the chili.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:44:40 AM »

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 04:09:10 PM »
...both beaver and muskrats are both vegatarians so no reason they shouldn't taste fairly good, really.) Most plant eating animals are supposedly good to fair eating...

I've always heard that beaver, muskrat & groundhog all have a very strong "wild" taste and have very "greasy" meat even after the fat is removed.  Any recipe I've ever seen for these critters began with, "soak meat in salt water (brine) over night."

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »
I have an aunt that used to cook almost anything her son's and I would skin,  she always soaked game in buttermilk,  she could make racccon and beaver that tasted really good,  not greasy tasting at all, she always cooked these on an elevated rack in the pan.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »
Par-boiling before roasting or frying will also help remove a lot of the grease. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
I've heard people talking about cooking bear and mentioning par boiling ??? how long do ya boil>

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »
The larger the piece of meat the longer ya boil. ;D  I cook it close to half done when I par-boil anything, it also makes it more tender.

Except, turkeys, I get them close to done and then finish in the oven, the meat will melt in your mouth and ya don't even know it was par-boiled.  Heck thats how most places make Prime Rib, the boil it and then pop it in a high heat oven to finish it when needed, you can even hold it to the next day.  Real Prime rib roast take about 20 minutes per pound.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 06:14:49 PM »
Occurs ta me a mountain lion ain’t nuttin’ but a big feral cat.  I’d wager yer local chineese restaurant folk know how ta cook ‘em up proper.  Might be they’d let ya in on how ta do it if ya ask……………
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 06:18:51 PM »
Well that would be slice thin and stir fry.  Ya ever wonder why everything is cut thin and stir fried?  Cause the burned up most of their wood years ago and it's fuel saving. ;D

Wish some one would eat up the feral cats in my neighborhood, the Nylon 66 with a Remmie CB cap would work well, but I don't want to get caught gettin' rid of the bodies.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 09:30:35 PM »
I'm in the suburbs, and at one time my neighbor was shooting squirrels out of his trees to control them. They was stripping bark off the little branches.
He just put the bodies in ziplock baggies and they went into the trashcans.

He must have bagged about four or so. Would have made a good stew. :D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 10:11:25 PM »
Hell.  Here just throw 'em out on the street after dark.  Folks would run o'er 'em thinkin' they wuz just road kill.

When they look like feeler guages, pick the nasty things up with a pooper scooper 'n toss 'em in the can for donation to the greater wealth of the city.

That's theory.  Wouldn't know nuttin' of the practice.............
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 12:10:25 AM »
Be my luck the garbageman would see the cat in the can and call animal control.  I've thought about the late night trip into the country and out the window, kind of a kitty litter. :o

The real problem is a couple of my kind hearted neighbors feel sorry for them and feed them.  I grew up around a Grandpa who would not tolerate a feral cat or dog.  I've shot a lot of both.  The squirrels don't bother me much, if they eat the bark off my trees I'll turn them into fire wood., don't like the ones I got any way.  I do hate it when the short out the power lines.  Takes my power out, the last one was two house down, heard the pop and sizzle as the lights went out.  The neighbor got out there about the time I did, it was sure a smokin'. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 02:44:30 PM »
Sounds about like open season... feel the same about feral people ?  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
Out away from the city here in Newbrassky and dog or cat being a nusance on your property is fair game.  One wants to know the neighbors animals and solve problems in a friendly manner if possible.  But in a state that has so much cattle and other livestock, common sense wins out.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »
when ever cavles are being born around here, there are dogs, coyotes, bears and a few mountain lions,  a lot of people put donkeys in with their cows, they say the donkeys will chase away what's not supposed to be there,

I don't know this works for sure, but there are a lot of little donkeys in the pastures up here ???

but we too will shoot any stray dog hanging around,

Offline Buffalo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 12:30:59 PM »
I have hounds and chase lions every year. We usually just take pics of them. But some years when someone is lucky enough to draw a tag we will harvest one. It is very good meat. It has a different texture but very good flavor. On the other hand Bob cat is terrible. Every one I know of that has had lion was impressed and liked it. Just cook like any other meat. My favorite is just fried. I'll post a few pic's of the ones we have ate.

http://i7.tinypic.com/2132152.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/2132cyf.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/2132ijr.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/21341tw.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/2134t48.jpg

TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT.
Buff

Offline skypilot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Had a lion eaten my sheep about 5 years ago and when I got him to quit I decided to return the favor.  Wasn't bad at all cooked like any other game meat I've had on the barbie.  The one fella was right it certainly wasn't fat. 

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1171
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
when ever cavles are being born around here, there are dogs, coyotes, bears and a few mountain lions,  a lot of people put donkeys in with their cows, they say the donkeys will chase away what's not supposed to be there,

I don't know this works for sure, but there are a lot of little donkeys in the pastures up here ???

but we too will shoot any stray dog hanging around,

In these parts those that have livestock  have been known to use a variety of watch critters. One school of thought promotes dogs raised with and living with the stock animals, such as the Komondore, a large white dog with dreadlocks and 6 inch fangs that lives amongst and defends sheep. Another bunch keep Llamas or mules in the fields. Llamas have been known to kick coyotes to death, and mules have been photographed stomping a cougar. One fellow kept a flock of guinea fowl - they would take off running down the fencline screeching after a coyote or rattlesnake whenever they spotted one, but the noise was incredible and to everyone's relief he finally ate them.

Some citified neighbors down the way have 2 electric fences surrounding their "show goats"; we have named them BearBait and CougarBait.

I would be interested in seeing the results of Ostrich as a watch critter, they have been rumored to take on lions...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »
I once shot a guy with my brother's BB Gun for threatening to throw my cat out into the highway.  He dropped the cat real quick when he got hit.   ;D

I found this.  Lots of Mtn Lion recipes if you google "Mtn Lion recipe"

Re: Mountain Lion Steaks

Postby wyogoob on Dec 26, '07, 8:37
I made a pot roast out of a mountain lion round.

Nothing fancy, a little red wine while I browned the meat. Threw in potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and green peppers......some water and worchestershire. Slow cooked it to well done (to avoid trichinosis) in a crock pot. The meat looks and tastes like pork.

My only regret is I wish I would have saved a little more meat.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com