Author Topic: Holster Number 4. Now my Single Six Has A New Ride.  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 708
Holster Number 4. Now my Single Six Has A New Ride.
« on: August 18, 2020, 05:46:06 PM »
Decided I’d make my Ruger Single Six something to ride in. I modified this holster from Al Stholman’s How To Make Holsters book. The last page has this holster but I changed the strap and put my own designs. Eventually I’ll work my way up to real carvings.

This is my 4th holster and I’m getting more comfortable doing things but still make enough mistakes to keep it interesting.

My biggest problem on all of them so far is getting my holes on the back to be as uniform as they are in the front.

Thinking about tackling a pair of Schofield holsters next or maybe a belt first.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: Holster Number 4. Now my Single Six Has A New Ride.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
Nice, that makes for a happy Single Six.

To get stitches even on the back side means your punch has to go through the same every time. It helps to back the piece with a cork or small solid rubber ball cut flat. Hold it behind the piece and punch right into it. That prevents the leather from bending back as the punch goes through. Then practice holding the punch exactly the same for each stitch on a piece of scrap.

Also, I find it helps to run the needles through exactly the same, too. I make sure the first needle to go through a hole is the front one. Then I hold that thread aside at the same angle to start the second needle. It makes a difference to keep the stitch as much the same in all respects every time.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 08:52:20 AM »
Nice, that makes for a happy Single Six.

To get stitches even on the back side means your punch has to go through the same every time. It helps to back the piece with a cork or small solid rubber ball cut flat. Hold it behind the piece and punch right into it. That prevents the leather from bending back as the punch goes through. Then practice holding the punch exactly the same for each stitch on a piece of scrap.

Also, I find it helps to run the needles through exactly the same, too. I make sure the first needle to go through a hole is the front one. Then I hold that thread aside at the same angle to start the second needle. It makes a difference to keep the stitch as much the same in all respects every time.

I am getting better with the stitch holes on the back but none where I want them to be yet. Just not having consistency. One will be close and the next all over the place. I will try some of the things you list here on the next one.

Thinking about a pair of Schofield Holsters now.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:18:37 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »
So, we will have more holsters to appreciate. Looking forward to the next ones.

I take it you're having fun, now.  :D

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
Hi, I remember someone writing that you press the awl thru slowly to see where it goes, then you can bring it back and try it again if it ain't where you want it.  I also have 4 hole punchers from Tandy or Springfield Leather that work well especially if you hold them exactly vertical.

Have fun with it.
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
So, we will have more holsters to appreciate. Looking forward to the next ones.

I take it you're having fun, now.  :D

Yes. I am wanting to make a set for my Schofields and having fun also.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
Hi, I remember someone writing that you press the awl thru slowly to see where it goes, then you can bring it back and try it again if it ain't where you want it.  I also have 4 hole punchers from Tandy or Springfield Leather that work well especially if you hold them exactly vertical.

Have fun with it.

I have a 4 hole also but it wont go through the thicker leather with a welt also. I have been drilling out the final holes and guess I am just now getting my drill to come out exactly where I want on the other side.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 04:31:32 PM »
Hi

Will Ghormley's Lawdog Holster doesn't use a welt, and it is made for Schofields.  The patterns are still available I believe, at least from Will, but possibly elsewhere.  I emailed him and asked since no welt was on the pattern. 

I think I need to make some sort of jig to hold the leather in my Drill press.  I've done o.k. with putting the awl blades (from the awls where you can change the blades) in my drill press and don't turn it on, just use the press part.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
I think I need to make some sort of jig to hold the leather in my Drill press.  I've done o.k. with putting the awl blades (from the awls where you can change the blades) in my drill press and don't turn it on, just use the press part.
This would certainly eliminate any angle error in the way you hold the awl or the piece. When I worked in the saddle shop, Charlie would use his Pfaff saddle machine without thread in it to punch the holes.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »
Hi

Will Ghormley's Lawdog Holster doesn't use a welt, and it is made for Schofields.  The patterns are still available I believe, at least from Will, but possibly elsewhere.  I emailed him and asked since no welt was on the pattern. 

Later

Sounds like a good idea. I recently got Will Ghormley's HOG holster pack and it has a Schofield holster in there so I may try that one out.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »
Well done, nothing as gratifying as making your own gun leather, thanks for sharing...

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
How are you marking the location for your stitch holes?  I first edge groove both edges of the holster seam.  Starting from the top of each side, I make sure the first holes on each side will match each other. Then I take an overstitcher with the desired wheel (Tandy's has several...I use one that gives about 7-1/2 stitches per inch), and run it down each seam groove, then punch or drill each mark. (I have an industrial sewing machine and hand crank it down each groove instead of using the wheel.)  This way the holes will line up when the leather is folded over for stitching.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »
Good work
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 08:22:15 AM »
How are you marking the location for your stitch holes?  I first edge groove both edges of the holster seam.  Starting from the top of each side, I make sure the first holes on each side will match each other. Then I take an overstitcher with the desired wheel (Tandy's has several...I use one that gives about 7-1/2 stitches per inch), and run it down each seam groove, then punch or drill each mark. (I have an industrial sewing machine and hand crank it down each groove instead of using the wheel.)  This way the holes will line up when the leather is folded over for stitching.

I have been punching my front holes with the the stitching chisels and gluing. Then taking a hand awl and punching through the next layer or drilling them out with a small drill bit. I need to do it with a stationary drill press rather than by hand though I guess. 

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline steve75

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 01:30:12 PM »
Another way of ensuring your holes line up is marking your stitch spacing on the holster pattern.  When you fold the pattern over mark your stitch line 3/16" from the edge then use the over stitch wheel to run along the stitch line.  This will mark both sides of the pattern.  To be sure use a layout awl and poke through both sides of the pattern.  When you transfer the pattern to the leather transfer the holes with your layout awl.  If you do not have an overstitch wheel you can use wing dividers set to your desired spacing to mark the stitch holes on your pattern.  When make your filler/welt you can transfer the stitch marks to it as well.  If you have done your work diligently it should be easy to run your stitching awl through the hole.  It is extra work, but if you are on a budget it will get you even spaced and uniform stitches on both sides of your project.   :)
STORM #444

"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 03:43:47 PM »
Another way of ensuring your holes line up is marking your stitch spacing on the holster pattern.  When you fold the pattern over mark your stitch line 3/16" from the edge then use the over stitch wheel to run along the stitch line.  This will mark both sides of the pattern.  To be sure use a layout awl and poke through both sides of the pattern.  When you transfer the pattern to the leather transfer the holes with your layout awl.  If you do not have an overstitch wheel you can use wing dividers set to your desired spacing to mark the stitch holes on your pattern.  When make your filler/welt you can transfer the stitch marks to it as well.  If you have done your work diligently it should be easy to run your stitching awl through the hole.  It is extra work, but if you are on a budget it will get you even spaced and uniform stitches on both sides of your project.   :)

Thanks. Since this holster I am doing better. I am on my 11th or 12th holster now and I have seen great improvement in my stitching.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Gunleather

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 46543
  • GAF #: 62
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 04:30:16 AM »
I first run a stitching grover along the front side of the holster then use a 3 prong lacing nipper to punch the holes. Then I fold it over and mark the start and end holes by pushing an awl through the holes. After that I use the nipper to make the holes on the back side of the holster. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com