Author Topic: Richard & Mason Conversion question, I posted from another BB  (Read 11045 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Richard & Mason Conversion question, I posted from another BB
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:21:46 AM »
I have a BUG to have one of my 2nd Gen. 1860 Colts converted to a Richard & Mason.
I have used this pistol for 20 plus years as a Cavalry Reenactor, it has always seen good care ( cleaning ) however the finish is well worn   ;)
Mechanically, it is fine, and this is the candidate for the conversion.
I have question in to R&D as to the conversion & Cost but I have not heard back...

Is there anyone else doing this work on "60's" ?
If there is any light that can be shed I would be most appreciative.
I.E. cost

I have a R&D Drop-in Cyl. on a new Uberti and it currently is paired with my opentop in 45 Sch.
But the desire for an Richard & Mason is strong  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Richard & Mason Conversion question, I posted from another BB
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 11:02:47 AM »
As far as R&D doing the conversion, is expensive and takes a long time. I not sure if they do them anymore anyway. I was told they were working on a Richards conversion kit for the Colt 1860, but the last time I talked to them they could not tell me when it would be available. I too want a Richards converson badly, but went ahead and purchased a Richards-Mason from the Marshal here at CasCity. If they come out with the kit, I wll be pressed hard to convience my better half I need one to allow me to spend the money. Let me kwow what R&D says.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:24:34 AM »
I just happened to talk to the lady who answers the phone at R&D today. They are currently setting up the machinery for the 1860 conversion. You may want to check with them to see how long they project it will be. 608-289-3241

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »
Thanks Marshal for your response. I will call and find out what she says on the time frame. I will have to start savin my pennies.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:43:08 PM »
Thanks Pappy

What would be (expensive) ballpark cost wise to have the Job done.

The Marshall here at CASCity, has them ?  Where are they listed ?  I'm new in town  ;) but no stranger (handsome or otherwise)ine

Will

I called (4:30PM eastern) and only got a message machine. I emailed them this early morning but have yet to hear back.

Now if it cost considerably more to convert my 2 nd Gen. 1860 ... I just might go :-\ the Richards-Mason from the Marshal if it's on the Army frame.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:27:53 PM »
I called (4:30PM eastern) and only got a message machine. I emailed them this early morning but have yet to hear back.
I don't always get them when I call. I have the best results calling mid-morning which would be about noon your time.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:24:23 PM »
I'm quite fond of my 2nd Gens (one I've owned and used nearly 27 years ) thats the candidate, for the R&M conversion.
The other is in near mint ( thought it too has seen the soot )

Yes, I'm familiar with the difference, The Richards was bit more successful and perhaps a bit better in design over the Richards & Mason.
I suppose there has to limit where sanity over takes desire....  Cost would be a factor.
So with that said ... the answer is Richard & Mason

Since I have the gun I want converted,  it looks like Option #2 is the best.

option # 3 "IF" it was affordable.... and either would allow for this old friend to be refinished.

I've yet to hear from R&D....

Maybe with all of us chomping at the bit .....

jiminy criquet

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 02:04:55 AM »
River Junction sells a (Kirst made) kit for the 1860 Colt Richards conversion.  While it appears to require some fitting/smithing, the major parts are all there, which is a far better place to be in than starting from scratch, IMHO.

$289.95 clams for the parts:
http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konvertercolt44.html

It doesn't look like there's that much more to it...I would think that $100-$150 for a gunsmith to finish it up would be reasonable, particularly if he's hungry.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
I just got off the phone with the woman at R&D....

1860 Colt Conversion should be ready by Spring ,

Cost will be the same as the current 51/61 navy
Price:
$225 for the kit
$  70 Dill and Tap frame for conversion ring mounting screws, cut and polish basic loading groove.
$200   Ejector Assembly installed/barrel refinished
$ 65.  Your converted frame color cased in Traditional bone and charcoal

$560 on your 1860 ( + Roll engraved option Price: $25.00 ) = $ 585   :-\ 

Offline warbucks16

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 09:53:36 AM »
I currently have a Pietta 1862 Police being converted ro the Richard-Mason Configuration at R&D.

The Cost is:

CK1851PL               Cylinder and Guard                                    $205.00

DTFRAME               Drill & Tap Frame                                        $25.00

#RMPORT              Richard-Mason Loading Port                          $85.00

Case Hardening                                           $65.00

Richard-Mason Ejector Assembly Installed         $225.00

barrel lined to .357                                       $60.00

Total:                 $652.00

Cost of 1862 Army                                        $179.00

Grand Total:               $831.00

If you do have this done be aware that it is a slow process.  They have had my revolver since June and I still do not know when I will get it back. Try to get a firm completion date.  When I ask about my order it is always it will be done in another 2 or 3 weeks.
I am still waiting.

You might be further ahead buying a Uberti Richard-Mason Model from Taylors.

Hope this helps.

Eimail me if you need more info.

Warbucks16

SASS Member
Storm Member #201
Scorrs Member
Retired Navy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman
Marine Recon and Jump Qualified
Vietnam Viet 70-71 and proud of it!
Member NRA
45 Cowboy Special User.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 06:40:46 PM »
yes sir , that's pretty much what I came out with ( except the barrel liner probable not needed with the 44 cal. 1860 )

Also I already have the 2 gen. I think I paid around $300 for it in "98" ( the frist one I bought back in the late 70's was $274 NIB )

I don't know it seems sorta pound foolish to spend the cost of a new Opentop,
 but darn it,  a custom Richards & Mason on a  2 Gen Colt with all the correct marks is a "siren" singing to me
" buy me you know you want me "  :P

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »
I finally got a call back from R&D (not just a email) .
The woman told me , my cost would be about $1100 on my gun, That's twice what I deduced the listed website price would be.
Knowing their work it would be a FINE piece.... BUT if'n I bought into it, at that price ... MY wife would use it to beat me half to death then load it and administered the final head shot.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »
Hey Major231, sounds like my wife. SHe thinks I have enough guns. I figured if I find another one I need(want is more like it) and I have the money, I would just buy it and not tell her. She doen't go through my gun collection.

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 07:58:30 PM »
I have a great wife.

She actually encourages me to buy more guns!

No, she doesn't have a sister.

Too bad  :(
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 07:36:56 PM »
Men, many here seem to be confused here between an 1860 RICHARDS conversion & an 1860 RICHARDS-MASON conversion. The 1860 Richards-Mason conversion by Cimarron is excellent albeit one small flaw: all original 1860 RM's used the larger Colt SAA hammer screw & not the smaller percussion head hammer screw. Other than that, it's a dead ringer. Only Kenny Howell MADE (read, does not currently make) a 1st Model Richards conversion. He made a new cylinder and ROLL ENGRAVED it as well, as the last I knew Bob Millington does not have a roll engraver (machine). There was also a 2nd Model Richards conversion but I won't muddy the waters here. Also, no civilian model Richards conversions were made on a FOUR SCREW frame. So, for you people wanting to convert your 2nd or 3rd gen. "Colt" you will not have an accurate repro. I have seen an R&D Richards that used a four screw frame but Kenny "filled in" the screw hole but you could still see the outline. ONLY Uberti makes a correct three screw frame 1860 Colt copy that would be a better choice IMHO. Also, one must be VERY careful about marking these guns with the Colt name as Colt sues in a heartbeat.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 11:37:26 PM »
Men, many here seem to be confused here between an 1860 RICHARDS conversion & an 1860 RICHARDS-MASON conversion. The 1860 Richards-Mason conversion by Cimarron is excellent albeit one small flaw: all original 1860 RM's used the larger Colt SAA hammer screw & not the smaller percussion head hammer screw. Other than that, it's a dead ringer. Only Kenny Howell MADE (read, does not currently make) a 1st Model Richards conversion. He made a new cylinder and ROLL ENGRAVED it as well, as the last I knew Bob Millington does not have a roll engraver (machine). There was also a 2nd Model Richards conversion but I won't muddy the waters here. Also, no civilian model Richards conversions were made on a FOUR SCREW frame. So, for you people wanting to convert your 2nd or 3rd gen. "Colt" you will not have an accurate repro. I have seen an R&D Richards that used a four screw frame but Kenny "filled in" the screw hole but you could still see the outline. ONLY Uberti makes a correct three screw frame 1860 Colt copy that would be a better choice IMHO. Also, one must be VERY careful about marking these guns with the Colt name as Colt sues in a heartbeat.

"...So, for you people wanting to convert your 2nd or 3rd gen. "Colt" you will not have an accurate repro"
I overlooked that ...darn it !
Anyway, at $1100 on my 2nd Gen. Gun is prohibative cost wise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com