Author Topic: Hammer knurling ideas/service?  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Hammer knurling ideas/service?
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »
I have a Uberti/Cimarron Old Model in .44WCF with 7.5" barrel. Bought new from Buffalo Arms 3 years ago. I have officially tired of the cheap, barely-there laser-engraved "knurling" on the hammer. I'd like it done right- and matching one of the early patterns- say, 1878 when Colt introduced the "Frontier" model 1873 in .44-40. Not being super familiar with the timeline of the early knurling patterns, I don't know what that would be exactly. I'm pretty handy with a file, and could fairly easily cut a non-bordered pattern across the whole thumbpiece, but if the correct pattern is one of those that has a smooth border, I'm assuming it would need to be stamped or engraved.

Y'all have any DIY ideas, or suggestions for someone that could do the proper pattern for me reasonably?
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Hammer knurling ideas/service?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
Not having a Colt in hand I'll make a suggestion that USAF is considered to be a very good copy of a Colt. Mine has rather fine checkering for about 3/8" and fully across the spur. There is a straight groove across that the checkering ends at with no out line. with out measuring it appears to be 20 lines per inche and not real sharp points. (you don't want to tear up your thumb) They are hand filed at about a 60 degree angle. If you need I can post a photo of this one. I believe it would be correct for your use.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »
Well I'm not familiar with the earlier knurling patterns, either, but I compared my 1901 SAA hammer with my Cimarron pre-war Model P and Old Model P's and the three are dang near identical, with the Colt being worn more.  I don't think they are laser engraved.  (unless they've changed in recently years as another cost-cutting thing?)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:06:31 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 645
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
I will say that my fairly current Uberti 7th Cavalry revolver appears to be laser cut as well. If not, it is a very light engraving. Aside from the very faint inspector cartouche on the grip, it is the only complaint that I have about that particular revolver.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1183
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:41 PM »
My Good Dalton -

here are some photos for your consideration

some examples:
colt 1st gen

another colt 1st gen identified as hand cut

from our own yahoody here on CAS city:
from this thread:  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=55043.0

Left to right, 1st gen, rounded border, straight border.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
Been there, tried that about a 1 1/2 years ago on three different Uberti's.  Never could get the final depth or definition I wanted using -- files, diamond bit in dremel or actual engraving tools.  To get depth and width, the row count of the checking will change on the Uberti hammer.  The checking count on the three guns I worked on already started off differently.

Scroll down to list of pictures for a really good view of 1870's hammer.    http://www.antiqueguns.biz/guns/custer.htm
Black River Smith

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1183
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »
A while back ( lordy, 40 years?) I acquire a steel checkering file with 4 different lpi on it, like one of those cheap 4 side file/rasps -
but this puppy wasn't cheap! it is just the thing for checking a front or backstrap or a hammer or just cutting fine paralell lines on a modernisch front site.

now I can only find single lpi files starting at ~ $50 and going up. But that's what one needs to checker a hammer!

and the babbeling voice of experience advises to practice on cheap soft stuff like brass or aluminum, then practice on scrap steel.

yhs
prof babbels
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »
I've checked a couple of hammers using a thread-chasing file.  Mark the appropriate face of the file (one where "threads per inch" equals the desired "lines per inch") with a black marker so you can easily identify it, then grind the sides to the desired width.  Use an appropriate 3-sided file to point up the checkering once the spacing is established.  It isn't the "right" tool, but it works.
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com