Author Topic: Here's a bright idea...  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Here's a bright idea...
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:59:54 PM »
Now lets move on to something more enlightening; shall we?

Books

Like what...lanterns maybe  ???

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hides a cheap Chinese lantern inside my canvas home. And no, I don't mean the fancy ones made out of paper, I mean the little red tin ones from the Mega-Lo-Mart. Sure, I see lots of 'treasured family heirloom' lanterns at antique stores but I'm  reluctant to spend $100 on some rare gem and then find out it was sold by the Western Auto Store in 1968.  Here's a couple of links that shed some light on these coal oil flashlights:

http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm#blizzard

http://home.earthlink.net/~pearsond

I can probably go out and buy a 'good' lantern now...well, at least if I print that all out and carry it with me  ;)

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Here's a bright idea...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:51:01 AM »
Dietz is still in business and makes the best coal oil lanterns anywhere.

Contact the Cumberland General Store for lanterrns and parts.

They aren't even too expensive.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:06:36 AM »
And Leman's carries the whole Dietz line, plus Aladdin, all parts, wicks, etc.

They also sell the liquid parafin, which is the best lamp oil I have ever found.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:36:49 AM »

44caliberkid

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:44 AM »
We've picked up about 8 lanterns in the last year at estate auctions.  Some are repro and some are original, but we never paid more than about 5 bucks apiece for 'em.  'Cept for the Star railroad inspectors lantern.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:55:52 AM »
While we are on lanterns, I have a question????  When was the Coleman Lantern invented.  I know it was slightly after our period, but in the interest of cleanliness in the cook camp I have about decided to start bringing mine for when I still have dishes that need done after dark.

In the summer it's not a big problem, but like at the GAF Muster one was needed bad.  Of course it would be hid out of site till needed.  I know the old timers did with out, but it is something I feel is needed for more or less saftey reasons.  Also could be useful in a real emergency.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:19:44 AM »
LG;

Those are great links.  The Wally-World lanterns are as close as we can get right now.  But I always strive to continuously improve.

Inside my tent I use oil lamps that are reproductions of originals of the period.  They are out there but you have to know what you are looking for. [ and care]

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:22:11 AM »
I have a couple Dietz Little Wizards that were used around the cook fire at the GAF Muster. Yes, they were made in China. I also have a bigger Dietz. It is a blue-green color and had a red globe before it was broken. I need to get a replacement globe. I also have a couple Aladdin table models.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:45:25 AM »
Delmonico:

The first pressurized lamps came out sometime in the 1880's, I can't find an exact date.  They looked like the Petromax, not like a modern Coleman.

I bought some Chinese copies of the Petromax, once I assembled them correctly, which they didn't do in the factory, they work pretty good.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 11:14:10 AM »
That sounds even better, do you know a source?

The reason I think the Colmans are close, I swear I've seen them in pics of WWI dugouts, but I could be wrong.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 12:13:59 PM »

W.C. Coleman

A man with poor eyesight but remarkable vision.

It started as simply as this: In 1900, a young man bent on replenishing his educational funds so he could complete his last year of law school set out to sell lamps in what is now Kingfisher, Oklahoma. He had first encountered the lamp that would change the course of his life in a drugstore window in Alabama. Plagued with such poor vision he sometimes had to ask classmates to read aloud to him, the brilliant light from that window stopped W.C. Coleman in his tracks. He went in to inquire about it and discovered he was able to read even the small print on a medicine bottle by this light.

The lamps had mantles, not wicks, and were fueled by gasoline under pressure instead of coal oil. Their light was clean and white. And when Coleman heard the company was looking for salesmen, he used the funds he'd accumulated to buy inventory. He could sell these lamps in a flash to merchants who wanted to keep their shops open in the evening.

As it turned out, he couldn't sell even one. Merchants in Kingfisher had just been stung by a lighting salesman with a less-than-stellar product. Shopkeepers would not be swayed. So, using the ingenuity and resourcefulness that would later build his company, W.C. decided to sell a lighting service instead of the lamps themselves. He drew up contracts with a "no light, no pay" clause and, with the risk removed, customers signed up.

Soon Kingfisher was a beacon on the prairie. The service eventually expanded to cities as far west as San Diego and Las Vegas. In 1902, Coleman relocated to Wichita, Kansas, reasoning it would be about the center of his potential territory. As it turned out, his territory would one day come to encompass the world.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 02:13:40 PM »
Alladdin came out with one of the first pressurized lamps in the mid 1800's.  These were table lamps which resembled the glass ones, except they were plated brass.  We have one that has been in the family since then.  Finding one that is in original shape is difficult, as many if not most were electrified when electricity became available.  This is the same company that developed the thermos bottle.
French Jack

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »
I have both a chinese and a dietz.  I will use the dietz for NCOWS.

I also have a hande made candle burning lantern.  But please don't tell me I have to have candles made in the 1800's or wax from back then. :D

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 06:34:21 PM »
I just recently picked up a large lantern at the local antique mall.  Really sturdy.  Says "Wards Better" on it.  Don't know how old it is, but it is in fine conditiona and was only $10 which is a lot less than a new Dietz of a similar size.

Don'cha just like the new Santa smileise! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 06:57:18 PM »
I just recently picked up a large lantern at the local antique mall.  Really sturdy.  Says "Wards Better" on it.  Don't know how old it is, but it is in fine conditiona and was only $10 which is a lot less than a new Dietz of a similar size.

Don'cha just like the new Santa smileise! ;D ;D

Someone just got one on EBay for $3.14
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ANTIQUE-BARN-LANTERN-WARDS-BETTER-LANTERN-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ6223598276QQcategoryZ4059QQcmdZViewItem

Hopefully yours in in better shape.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
Howdy Sod Buster,

I think that mine is a little better.  Shipping from New Hampshire to KC would just about equal the price difference and I could handle the one that I have and be sure that it is sound.  I'm happy! ;D 8) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com