Author Topic: MY NEW HENRY - but buyer beware!!!  (Read 3379 times)

Offline KyTexian

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
    • Open Top Productions on Vimeo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MY NEW HENRY - but buyer beware!!!
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
Howdy, fellas -

After years of lusting, wanting and saving, I finally won a Uberti Henry at auction on Gunbroker!  Even better, it has the charcoal blue finish.  Unfortunately, the seller was less that fully candid about the condition of the rifle.  Instead of "minor marks and scratches from use" on the brass frame, I see what appears to be raw metal.  (Funny how the pictures he used didn't disclose that, but I digress. . .  ::))

Can anyone here tell me more about the frames of these rifles?  I understand that they are "gunmetal" and not solid brass, but it almost appears as if there is a coating/finish on the brass frame, and one of these "scratches" scratched a huge chunk out of it.  I don't want to pick at it and make it worse, but am hoping I could try to re-finish it and make it blend in better.  I sure don't want the brass to peel off like clearcoat!!  If nothing else, I'm thinking a dirty cleaning patch covered in black powder residue would tone it down a bit.  

Anyone have any thoughts or insights?  

Muchas gracias in advance, and caveat emptor,

Wild Ben

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: MY NEW HENRY - but buyer beware!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
It's not the brass peeling, it looks like some kind of clear coat on the brass. Some people spray them with clear enamel or something to keep them shiny.  OK for a safe queen, I guess.  If the brass was spalling like that, you would have issues.  Mineral spirits may take it off.  Take the stock off before you try to strip it, though, as anything that strips clear coat would be tough on stock finish.

Only the originals were Gunmetal (Bronze) not brass.  Current ones are brass.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »
I'd have to see it in person.... ???

but it looks like solder...like someone filled a hole (  sight mount screw hole ? )
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:19:02 PM »

Offline KyTexian

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the responses, guys. 

I LOVE patina (part of why I bought the rifle - the somewhat worn barrel finish), but this sticks out as foreign. I looked at it under a magnifying glass, and it doesn't look like anything is added ON to the receiver (tape, JB Weld, etc).  It appears something was taken away from the receiver. If it was just solder or tape, I'd steel wool it off, rub the area with a black powder residued patch and call it a day. There's a similar area at the base of the magazine follower, which is why I'm suspicious about the frame. It looks like the magazine follower was allowed to slam back against the frame, chipping away the finish there as well.  If I could just polish it out and/or rub blackpowder residue there to mellow it out to yellow, I would, but it looks like the metal has a completely different finish.  Additionally, the fact that I paid for it what I did and the condition was not fully disclosed bothers me on principle. 

Got a note in to the seller, and see if he has any insight.  I've added a picture of the receiver where the follower hits below.

Thanks for the responses and ideas!

Hasta luego,

Wild Ben

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
When they are new they have a clear plastic coat on them like tape, looks to me like some of that is peeling off. It is not meant to stay on there it is just to protect the brass until it is purchased. It appears to me the rifle is like new.
wM1
PS Brass framed rifles do not have a finish on them they ARE raw metal.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
My turn!!  :D  My Turn!!  :D  My Turn   :D

First thing ..... Newer build Uberti Brass frame rifles have been shipped with a thin protective film that needs peeled off.  Your specific problem is NOT that.

Second ..... Uberti Brass rifles do NOT ship wit any kind of "finish." 

Third .....I can't speak for the Henry Repeating Arms Henry, but Uberti Brass Rifles are solid Brass.  Not Gunmetal at all.

Fourth ..... well, the fourth is over but remember the Return of the Fifth.  I digress.  The spots that have you upset are flaws in the casting metal.  Some of the alloy didn't completely integrate.  I have seen this on quite a few Brass Uberti rifles I have worked on.  Including two of mine.  Trying to remove it will just result in a "divot" out of your frame.  It's just going to be "there."  the little spots were there when the frame was originally cast and will be there "forever."  Don't fret.  Don't try and remove it.  Don't eat a cream filled donut while you drive  ;D

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
+1 to what coffinmaker said.  I've had two brass-framed Uberti rifles that had inclusions of what I could only conclude were zinc that didn't get completely alloyed with the rest of the melt.  If I remember correctly the 1866 rifle in 44-40 I once owned that Cholla Hill Tirador ended up with after I'd traded it away to someone else has a zinc inclusion.  He has put quite a few rounds through that rifle and has posted some impressive long range groups that made me regret trading it off.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline KyTexian

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: MY NEW HENRY - kinda. . .
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, fellers!  I thought it looked like "slag" or something similar, but I figured "not on a Uberti'. . . then I started thinking peeling, and that was more disappointing.  I appreciate those in the know sharing their knowledge.

On a positive note, I contacted the seller, and he offered to return the rifle, which I chose to do.  I don't mind patina and other "character" marks - my revolvers and flintlocks have plenty - but those details need to be disclosed PRIOR to the sale, to allow the buyer to determine what he wants to spend.  I wouldn't have spent what I did if I'd known the complete condition.  I think the seller may have overlooked the area, as he was very conciliatory and easy to work with after I voiced my disappointment.  It's always nice when someone stands behind their sale and their word!

So, for now, I will remain a lurker, and wait until I can join the Henry Cool Kids' Club.  Again, thanks for all the ideas.

Adios,

Wild Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com