Author Topic: Got VERY lucky on an auction the other day  (Read 14080 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Got VERY lucky on an auction the other day
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
 ???  Ok, I'm back. Miced the cylinder and the bore. Cylinder is bored straight thru and measures around .459, although the chambers seem to have 5 "rings" in each of them so I'm suspecting 'Bubba Rebore'? On the other hand, the bore mikes in around .429 or so. The assembly number on the barrel and cylinder match (1359). The assembly number on the frame is H106, serial number 152XX. Barrel markings are deep and clear and are perfect for a second model American or a commercial Russian second model early? There is not and never has been the words 'RUSSIAN MODEL' on the barrel.
So I'm back to being confused, for all practical purposes the gun appears to be a 2nd model American, except for the bore size. And the fact that modern 44 Colt with a 42798 bullet and black powder may work better in it than any other cartridge. My Black Dawg 44 Colt with 205 gr bullet fits in the cylinder perfectly. Don't know as I've got the cohonies to try those tho'. No, definitely not, didn't get to be 60 years old by being foolish. Well no more so than most anyway. 
I'll sit down tomorrow and see if I can figure out this new borescope camera I got and see if I can post pictures of the chambers.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 06:26:45 PM »
I really feel it is a first model Russian, which looks exactly like an American Model, rather than the more familiar 2nd and 3rd Model Russians with the smaller grip, bumped backstrap, and finger spur.  Your cylinder and bore specs are dead on for a First Model Russian.  The .429 bore is right for a Russian, as is the .459 cylinder is perfect for the Russian round also, as the case is .457 on the Russian round.  I would not try anything other than a BP Russian round with about 19 grain s FFFG under a 245 grain .429/.430 bullet.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
TL, other than the cylinder being bored straight thru, I agree with you. If the assy nos didn't match on the cylinder and barrel I'd think someone just dropped in the wrong cylinder. Still trying to figure out this borescope camera thingie, soon as I do i'll get some pics up. Once you see the cylinder to barrel alignment you'll see what's got me hesitant to fire it at the moment. May need to adjust the forcing cone slightly.

Oh, and congrats on your Russian, what model is it, 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:14:23 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Mine is a second model Russian, with the small American style cylinder retaining screw, not the large one of the Third Model.  My cylinder BARELY has a shoulder for case mouths.  It looks more like a dark ring than a shoulder. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
Finally figured out the borescope camera, getting too old for fancy electronic thingies. Here are a couple of pics taken down one of the chambers in the cylinder and of the rings I mentioned in the chambers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com