Author Topic: How to make a money belt  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to make a money belt
« on: November 21, 2005, 05:03:45 PM »
Can some tell me how to make a money belt, or where to ge a pattern.  Thanks

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: How to make a money belt
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 05:29:13 PM »
I can't help with a pattern, but page 178 of packing Iron shows a photo of both ends of one. On the same page is a copy of an ad that gives some measurements that would make it easy to duplicate. There are more good photos on pages 175, 176 & 177, too. It wouldn't be too hard to make one from those. I'd probably use 4-5oz strap for it with 8-9oz strap for the buckle and billet ends.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 06:42:46 PM »
The Marshall has given some good info and the only place I differ a bit is with the billet end.  I like the buckle end between 7/9oz but like about 9/10oz + at the billet.  There is an excellent set of belt patterns out by Will Ghormley and they can be found at Tandy.  With the exception of tooing patterns these do an excellent job of illustrating the three most common early belt styles and offers layouts for sewing and weaving bullet loops in the most popular handgun calibers.  Trailriders web site also had some good information on belts and bullet loop measurements. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:00 AM »

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 04:25:58 AM »
Howdy Pards.

Bitterwheat, Pard I can tell you how I did do it and how I would do it again.  The Money Belt was the last project I finished, it planed from the start to use slides so I didn't sew any bullit loops on to it. 

I got a strip of leather seven inches wide and mumble mumble inches long.  I made sure that there was some overlap for my overlap. I grooved all four sides, and punched matching holes down both edges.   I punched the holes in one end only. 

I cut the billit and chape and dyed them.  I measured "down" to the line for the chape and billit I am sure you know this but for the lurkers, measure from the same edge.  Put the buckle chape on the end without the stitchen holes make sure that the belt main seam is up. Make sure the edge of the belt buckle is back some from the end of the belt.  Cut a slot the same width an the inside of the buckle, just inside the edge of the buckle.

Sew up the edges and the billit end and there you are a Money Belt.  Simple, not easy, but simple without a stitcher you will learn to hate belts.

The things I would change are little things, the next one will have loops.  I will sew the loops to a strap and then sew it to the belt, before I sew it shut.  About half of this leather work stuff is just figureing what to do in what order.  I don't know how the Big Boys did it, but it that is how I did it.  (edit part)  I would definately listen to The Kid when it comes to"how to" tips.  Get a Skiver and skive the fold just like The Kid told me on the posts over on the Home Range. 

Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 02:23:05 PM »
Bitterwheat,

My Moneybelt pattern is simple.
six inch wide strap (4/5 oz cuz I like a substancial belt) long enough to go around the shooter with a little overlap (too much overlap is bad due to the lack of a keeper)

Skive down the center of the strap so when you fold the belt in half there isn't a lot of bulk (just a little bit of skiving makes a great deal of difference)

Mark where your going to want the cartridge loops.  Either stitch or or use the slot method to attach the loops.

My buckle billet is a single layer of 4/5 oz and the strap billet is a double layer of the same.

Position the buckle 3/4" from the end of the belt and punch a slot in the belt for the strap billet to pass through right under the edge of the buckle.

Stitch or lace the belt closed.

Don't know if I made any sense or not.

You can always email me if you have ?'s

Kid
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com