Author Topic: brand new uberti horseman*  (Read 14663 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: brand new uberti horseman*
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »
Not that I would tend to be critical (yes I would).  Trying to turn that gun into a regular "Cattleman" would be a waste of time and a lot of money.  Sort of Oxymoron.  Taking a nice SA, safe with six, and turning it into an "unsafe with six" just doesn't make sense.  For of like the folks who go out and buy Rugers then send them out to be "Coltized" at great expense.  Understanding, of course, that kind of thing really added to my bottom line.

My suggestion.  Call VTI and see if you can get replacements for the screws you buggered.  Or repair the screws you buggered.  Also ask VTI if they have a schematic for your gun.  Then, while you have the gun apart, polish all the mating surfaces, de-burr all the sharp edges and put it back together.  You may well be surprised at how well it will run.

Oh, almost forgot.  The machine work necessary to fit standard SA parts will cost you more than a pair of those guns, tuned.

Coffinmaker

PS:  PLUS ONE to Major 2   ;D

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »
Guys removing the transfer bars in Rugers are trying to get the last drop of performance and reliability out of the gun to use in Cowboy Action Shooting where loading 5 and setting hammer on empty chamber is expected.   It kind of bothers me to think at some point these modified guns will fall in the hands of shooters who expect the Ruger to be safe loading 6.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: brand new uberti cattleman
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
  Pretty revolver. I hope you enjoy it.

Looks like it has the stupid two knotch safety base pin.  I'm not sold on the transfer bar system.  I hope they don't go to making them all that way.

This is where I am. Anyone else find it peculiar that it's considered all but suicidal to load six in a modern Colt SA or reproduction thereof, pulling the hammer back to the second notch, then going about ones business, but no one thinks a thing about chambering a round in their favorite levergun, thumbing the hammer back to the half-cock safety then heading out into the woods?

CHT

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:23:08 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
CHT,
Does seem kind of .. Silly .... Don't it.  Of course the safety notch on a Lever Rifle is some heaver than that on the jam and fudge SA.  However, there are ways to carry a normal SA "six up" and not shoot yourself inna foot .. or knee.  Unfortunately, there are those who go walk-a-bout with a SA just cause it's cool, without the slightest notion how the gun actually works.  Of course, some of those folks are perfectly happy to bag a horse or cow too.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
Actually I do think about that and don't go to trusting the safety notch too much in a lever action rifle either. I only have one in the chamber using that safety when I'm either settled in to my stand or when I'm feeling very safe in my movements. If I have to make a bad crossing, climb a fence, etc I unload the chamber.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 04:47:56 AM »

Same can be said of hammer shotguns.  And even though the notches and sear components may be heavier, (and I don't think so), so are the guns.  So why make a fuss over drop test failure on handguns?  Just another way to make life difficult for gun owners - specifically handguns. 

Here are locks from Colt 1878 and Cimarron 1878 reproduction shotguns.  I don't think the sears or hammer notches are any stronger than those on SAA. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »
There not.  I've never figured out how it happens (Stupidity does abound) but it seems every year, somebody manages to blow some part of their body away with a shotgun.  Modern Shotguns.  With Modern Safety devices.  Forbid that we should ever let these people loose with a Hammer Double.  Or Horrors ..... a '97.

In all honesty, I have no clue the mind set of the Bureaucrats whom decided we needed to "Drop Test" SAs to qualify them for import.  Home grown SAs are/were not required to pass the drop test.  It must be for the consideration of the Celling Painters.  There they are, up on their step ladders, rolling paint on the celling, their imported SA (can't afford a Colt or USFA) falls out of their overalls and BANG!!  I suppose it could be a considered scenario .........................  ::)

Coffinmaker

PS:  If you have a nice Transfer Bar ........ What's the Two Position base pin do.  Well, except get in the way.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »
I can't even use the base pin all the way anyways, so yeah its a waste of metal.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 03:47:56 AM »
well, I figured out where the spring n pin went. NOW i lost the bolt....... :'( dammit!

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »
Well,  look at the bright side.  It's giving you hours and hours of entertainment and not costing you one cent in ammo.  And, there is very little chance of doing yourself serious injury. 

Good luck. 

Offline Big Mak

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
Beautiful revolver!

Offline smokin6

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6