Author Topic: How Many Use Money Belts?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
How Many Use Money Belts?
« on: November 19, 2005, 08:25:12 PM »
Money belts were popular in the 1800's. How many pards use money/pistol belts for their rigs?

I haven't made one, but I may do so one of these days. I like the concept. Is this more an NCOWS item? Let's hear your input.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Nolan Sackett

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Co
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How Many Use Money Belts?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:07:03 PM »
Me! - In my experience, including time spent in the saddle as working cowhand, it's the most comfortable belt for day in and day out wear, the reason that the 19th century working cowboys preferred them. Time period though is a factor though and they weren't heavily used until around 1880 and after. Also body shape can play a part in whether they will work best - of course this should always be a consideration no matter what material is used. For some one with flaring hips, such as most women, they can be the cat's meow since they mold better to ones figure and generally DO NOT dig into the hips.
Generally I use 3/4 ounce, but you can go to 4/5 for a bit "firmer" belt - the best being closest to 4 oz. When building them, especially with 3/4 oz and using slotted loops rather than sewn, I will at times glue a 2/3 oz liner inside only where the loops go with about a 1/2 overlap. This gives a bit more "body" for the slots, but still leaves the bottom edge of the belt and the other parts flexible. I skive the edges so that the liner doesn't really "print" through. Even with the extra liner they are more moldable than heavy single thickness. Money belts are by far my number one seller.

The only other style I wear and my number two seller - although recently my number one - is the single thickness Indian style tack belts - made from well oiled harness leather they have a bit more give than "standard" veg tan belts.

While "softer" belts can work for the folks doing the "speed thing" a heavy lined belt is probably a better rig - again depending on body build, shooting style, and needs - presumed or actual. Then again the MB tends to mold to ones body shape so at times can be the better choice.

Of course being an unreconstructed maker of 19th century period pieces only - that colors my way of looking at things...... ;)
aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 09:57:32 PM »
I'd like to offer some wisdom about money belts here but Nolan said everything !

Depending on my outfit I'll wear one.  It's fun at big shoots with Vendors to unbuckle and pull some bills out of the belt.

Kid
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:41 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:59:24 AM »
I have two and ditto what Nolan told you.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:12:32 AM »
I use two 1 3/4" crossed belts for my pistols. I may have to make a money belt for one of them. Could be a good thing. Since a silver dollar is just under 1 1/2", I could probably get by with a 2" belt.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »
Howdy......
How was the 'average' money belt used...to hold up your guns or hold up your pants  ???

Good shootin......
Vern...  8)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 07:50:58 PM »
Great post Nolan.  For my personal wish list it would be a plain Jane 'Dukes' variation of the money belt without bullet loops and made from 4/5oz with sewn through billts.  Ruff out, soft leather money belts stay put on the hips better than any other western style I've tried.  But alas, the money belt is actually a bit later, historically, than I like to play so is not high on my to-do list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com