Author Topic: Early signs of excess pressure in C&B revolvers. . .  (Read 23356 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Early signs of excess pressure in C&B revolvers. . .
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »
just to add my 2 bits...

I have never had the loading levers on my walkers fall down... that could be because I use a strap of leather to tie them up.  ::)

As far as pressures for the ROA, they are rated to the level of Ruger Vaquero frames, so, have fun!!! (20Kpsi is what I believe they are tested at, which is 20% over 45lc at 17Kpsi and then some)

I was told there is not enough chamber capacity in original cap-n-ball revolvers with either a conical or round ball over the powder that could cause WELL MADE cylinders to fail.

FFFg or FFg is all I ever shoot anyhow. (I am using up all my Pyrodex P, RS, and Select in my 44-40 and 45lc cases with big lube boolits)

With that said, all your doing is wasting valuable powder, as anything more than about 30-40gr of FFFg is not going to change the point of aim at CAS shooting distances... ;)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Early signs of excess pressure in C&B revolvers. . .
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
Lars is dead nuts on about the Italian imports having undersize chambers as compared to the barrel size.  My sidekick won a really cool looking and handling Remington 58 made by Pietta.  The chambers miked at .458 and the barrel is .454.  This rig, with a Kirst Konverter cylinder (one came with the gun) is a tack driver.  The C&B cylinder had to be reamed out to .454 before it got honest.

If anybody is looking for a quick load for the ROA, I've been graphing the new EPP-UG bullet at 950 fps with the Kirst Konverter cylinder and AJs Cowboy 45 Special brass stoked with 1.3cc of FFFg Holy Black.  The same load and bullet in the Ruger C&B cylinder is consistantly 30 fps slower with a 12fps SD at 920fps.

This snappy velocity comes without a lot of recoil and is very accurate.  From a good sandbag rest I'm getting consistant 50 yard groups under three inches from both cylinders.  Maybe this bullet is the answer to SASS match shooting that will satisfy warthog velocity, target accuracy and light recoil all in one neat package that brings continuing accuracy and function.  The winner of the Frontiersman category at Winter Range seems to like it. . .

This is one load and bullet that won't overstress C&B guns and will give championship performance every time.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com