Author Topic: Question on .45 Schofield cartridges  (Read 1834 times)

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
Question on .45 Schofield cartridges
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
Was the .45 Schofield cartridge ever manufactured with smokeless powder prior to 1899? I have found documentation for .45 Colt and .44-40 WCF cartridges in smokeless but nothing for .45 Schofield in smokeless.

I shoot .45 Colt, .45 Schofield and .44-40 WCF in both Black Powder and Smokeless.

Just curious.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Question on .45 Schofield cartridges
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Johnny I have a reprint of the 1896 Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalog that is available from Abby at Cornell Publications.  In the back sections listed as 'Smokeless' the .45 Smith & Wesson center fire cartridge is listed. It is important to remember the early 'smokes-less' cartridges were primarily loaded with DuPont #2 Bulk powder. The 'bulk' designation was an indication that the DuPont #2 was loaded like black powder; by grs. volume not grs. weight. True smokeless didn't appear until after the Cordite powders in the 20th century. If you want to load modern 'smokes-less' powders try Solo 1000 or Trailboss. Both are smokey and just dirty enough to replicate 19th century loads. 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
Howdy Mark,

Many thanks for your reply. This is exactly the type of information I'm looking for. I'll be ordering the reprint from Cornell Publications.

For my smokeless .45 Schofield cartridges I use Trail Boss. In fact for all of my Cowboy rounds I've been using Trail Boss exclusively. For my black powder cartridges I've been using APP.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:21:41 PM »

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
I'm partial to Colorado's substitute powders myself. I still have several cases of the old Goex Pinnacle that was produced by APP before Pinnacle was discontinued.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com